Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D: loud motor humming sound at highway speeds and over 15kW power (or regen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And Elon Musk said something about the issue being overblown on the forums.

Yes that's unfortunate, I heard that too. In the example of this thread, all I've done was state a fact: my car was making an unpleasant hum in certain conditions. I didn't even reach out to Tesla, they reached out to me after viewing my video.

So we're not creating "noise", just stating facts and Tesla is choosing to react accordingly. If Elon thinks that's inappropriate, he needs to take it up with his team, not blame the forums.

I am troubled. Yesterday JB Straubel said during Tesla's Q4 call that the issues with the drive units has been resolved and has been implemented in production. These humming issues have been ongoing since 2012. If what JB said is true, and I have no reason to doubt him, why are P85Ds experiencing an issue that was supposed to have already been resolved in production?

And Elon Musk said something about the issue being overblown on the forums.

... and he said the issue was confined to a specific period of time last year (2014). The problem with that statement is that my 2013 drive unit needed to be replaced shortly after delivery for humming noise. Then in March of 2014 I had it replaced again for the same issue. Now two weeks ago I had it replaced a third time for, again, the same issue. So clearly the issue was not confined to a small period of time in 2014 when not enough "spline grease" was applied. If that were true, then how could it be that drive unit made a year prior had the same problem?

The plot thickens.

Just acquired a 2014 Tesla P85D. Sold my P85+. The P85D is huge step up but I have a noise at Speeds above 55 that by the time it gets to 60 mph and up it sounds like I have a small V8 in the back. It’s extremely annoying and to me ruins the ride.
I had all the tires checked and balanced, and rotated so it’s not the Michelin’s.
The noise sounds like it’s coming from the drivers side rear. Is this normal? Speeds below 53 it’s whisper quiet. Also does not make the noise during acceleration or deceleration at any speed. The sound also changes pitch as the car goes faster.
Anyone?

Wow talk about resurrecting a thread I started over 4 years ago..
I would definitely take your P85D to a service center and have them check the rear DU.
Glad you’re enjoying the car otherwise! I really loved mine while I had it.