TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P85D Ludicrous upgrade??

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Brewcitpizza, Mar 26, 2017.

1. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

I'd really like to find a totaled/salvage P100DL and put that battery pack into my P85D, and and up with a P100DL+. But that would probably cost around $40k all-in.

2. nybw51mr42

nybw51mr42 Member

I tried asking my service advisor too but she never responded :) I guess my idea of trying to call every service center and casually asking for it until one agrees won't work then?

3. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

Service Centers have a lot of discretion (and variation). No harm trying to call multiple centers. Worst they can say is no.

• Like x 1
  4. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

I'm on the 8 year plan with a 300K mile target. After that, I'll target upgrading to a 2 year old P100D provided I can find a way to retrofit the nose cone front back onto to it. I can't stand the squish duck bill look of the refresh.

• Funny x 1
  5. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

I have a 800HP , big block chevy in garage.
    Unless you plan on going to drag strip, why? Do you want it? Put bragging rights into a nice vacation for family :)
    I have been in about 50 drags, not been beat yet.
    Really, no one's ever going to beat any P, much less a P100D?
    Let me know who beats you?

6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

From what I'm told by a reliable (non-Tesla) source, the P85DL firmware to enable Ludicrous mode is no longer available in the service center's computers to enable the feature. So even if they could do the hardware upgrade component (pyro fuse, contactors, etc), the firmware is not longer available to update the cars.

• Informative x 1
  7. nybw51mr42

nybw51mr42 Member

:(

8. Mickie

Mickie Member

I don’t think it’s the feasibility factor, but more the simple fact that the power’s on tap if needed or wanted, that brings daily enjoyment or contentment.

• Like x 1
  9. commasign

From 0-30mph, P85D Insane and P85D Ludicrous are about the same. The difference is beyond 30mph, the Insane starts to let up while the Ludicrous keeps going. Really great for passing and getting out of trouble (or into trouble for some people) at highway speeds.

10. Bombero1394

Bombero1394 Member

I don't know about everyone else, but on the highway in SPORT not INSANE, when I want to pass or get out of a situation I find my self very quickly in triple digits with my right foot off the pedal and subsequently brake lights automatically on. I thought I needed L but HELLLLL NO. I'm good. Plus I'm pretty sure its less wear and tear this way. I plan on keeping this one as it belonged to the creator of Google Photos before me and makes it kinda special to me.

11. commasign

Lol. True. It’s all relative. My previous EV was a Tesla-powered 2013 RAV4 EV with 0-60mph of 6.8 seconds in sport mode. Even then, I had no issues passing anything on the highway.

12. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

There is no difference in power output between Sport and Insane after 45 MPH.

• Informative x 1
  13. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

Not that I don't believe you, but could you point me to the data that supports that claim?
    It would be nice to see how P90D and P100D compare to it.

14. commasign

Easiest way is to look at your power output meter while flooring the car.

15. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Just download PowerTools for iOS and log KW from 50-70 mph in both insane and sport and you'll see they are the same.

16. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

Wow I didn't know that. I changed it on my wife setting to sport so nothing bad happens; going to have to change it to chill !

17. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Sport is a significant reduction in power at the lower speeds where torque is highest so I think she'll be fine on that :)

18. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

But I don't own a P90D nor a P100D.

19. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

But you have a P85D so you can see for yourself that above 45 MPH there is no difference in power between Sport and Insane. It's the same for all non Ludicrous P90Ds. Different for P90DL based on which version of the battery as it is for the P100D which has he highest speed before the two settings make no difference.

20. nybw51mr42

nybw51mr42 Member

So I finally spoke to my SA, and it seems it still is possible to actually upgrade so long as you had put down a deposit from way back when. At least that was what I was told. But if no deposit, there is no means possible to do it. It was basically expressed to me that if I did have a deposit down before, I could still do it...

I have no idea how the computer systems work, so maybe the firmware is no longer available unless you are already in the systems with a deposit or something? Just speculating.