Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Ludicrous upgrade??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whether it's worth it or not is a totally personal thing. My two cents:
- For what you get it's a super cheap performance upgrade compared to any other similar upgrade on an ICE car
- If you got a P85D to begin with, you like the power. You'll probably like more power!

I enjoy it and don't regret shelling out the $5K.

Reactions: Mickie
I 100% agree. The only benefit to having a P85D (or any other P) is/was to have bragging rights to the quickest car out there. I got mine because I had a P85 on order when the P85D was announced and they let me transfer my order; the AWD is definitely important to me. At the time the 85D was still sometime off in the future, but I would likely have bought that had it been available.

By all means go ahead and do the upgrade if it's worth it to you. For me it isn't worth it. Doing the P85D to P85D upgrade right now won't bring back the bragging rights. And I haven't noticed my car lacking in passing power. :)

Bragging rights are fleeting. Especially with a car like the Tesla. So if you're upgrading solely for bragging rights, well then it's wasted money if not right off the bat, well then soon off the bat.

I thought about trading up to another Ludicrous car, but have decided against it as I already have a Ludicrous car.

I'm looking at buying a second Tesla, possibly without Ludicrous as I already have a Ludicrous car and don't need nor want a second one nor one to replace this one.

And so the $5K upgrade in terms of passing power and launch capabilities over the P85D Insane, is more than worth it to me, because I recognize that bragging rights, cannot be kept for very long unless you're willing to spend money far in excess of 5 large.

In short, and this is just me, YMMV, I'd rather have two Teslas. One with Ludicrous, one without, than to have just one top dog Tesla which won't be top dog for very long anyway.

The 5K I spent upgrading to Ludicrous back in April of 2016, has been worth every penny.

Bragging rights are fleeting. Especially with a car like the Tesla. So if you're upgrading solely for bragging rights, well then it's wasted money if not right off the bat, well then soon off the bat.

I thought about trading up to another Ludicrous car, but have decided against it as I already have a Ludicrous car.

I'm looking at buying a second Tesla, possibly without Ludicrous as I already have a Ludicrous car and don't need nor want a second one nor one to replace this one.

And so the $5K upgrade in terms of passing power and launch capabilities over the P85D Insane, is more than worth it to me, because I recognize that bragging rights, cannot be kept for very long unless you're willing to spend money far in excess of 5 large.

In short, and this is just me, YMMV, I'd rather have two Teslas. One with Ludicrous, one without, than to have just one top dog Tesla which won't be top dog for very long anyway.

The 5K I spent upgrading to Ludicrous back in April of 2016, has been worth every penny.

I'm glad to hear that you liked it. I still consider it once in a while, but I've decided that I'm going to a 100D in December. So there wouldn't be much gain in doing an upgrade now. And I don't think Tesla gives you any more on a trade, for having it. If I understand correctly, all of the P85Ds that go through CPO have the L removed, presumably to deal with some longevity issues.

I'm glad to hear that you liked it. I still consider it once in a while, but I've decided that I'm going to a 100D in December. So there wouldn't be much gain in doing an upgrade now. And I don't think Tesla gives you any more on a trade, for having it. If I understand correctly, all of the P85Ds that go through CPO have the L removed, presumably to deal with some longevity issues.

I could be wrong, but I think P90Ds too.

Begin cynicism ...

I assume they remove the L with a software change, leaving the hardware upgrades in place. Then they can sell the new buyer an L upgrade for $5k, which being a software restoration has zero cost and 100% margin for Tesla.

... end cynicism.

• Funny
Do you feel the Ludicrous upgrade is worth the $5,000 cost? Obviously more speed will be appreciated since I came from a 505 hp / 3,100 lb. 2006 Corvette Z06... but how much (if any) would this upgrade increase the resale value in a couple more years?
YMMV and my math might have been bad, but comparing the Tesla trade-in quote before and after Ludicrous upgrade (accounting for the addition of miles and age) I definitely felt like I got at least the $5,000 back in trade-in value (maybe the "$10,000 retail price"). FYI.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I believe it was confirmed through Tesla by an owner selling his insane car that non- original owners can upgrade to ludicrous. And that it was tied to the date the car was either made or delivered and not to owners.
This may be true although it seems like pulling teeth trying to find out. I almost bought a previous CPO that was sold without ludicrous but the current owner added it so I know it has been done.

Reactions: gillmj24 and Mickie
This may be true although it seems like pulling teeth trying to find out. I almost bought a previous CPO that was sold without ludicrous but the current owner added it so I know it has been done.
Hmmm... just I picked up a CPO 04/2015 P85D. I asked my service rep but she said the Ludicrous upgrade is only available to the initial buyer. If anyone was able to upgrade their used/CPO P85D to Ludicrous, please let me know which service center did it. Thanks!

Agreed. I think the P85DL owners, especially the + ones, are in a very nice spot. If they wanted to go practically current, they could upgrade to refreshed fascia, LED headlights, color match the rocker panels, call it a day and still be able to brag about the unavailable + suspension their cars received. Not to mention, AP1 FTW too.