Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Ludicrous upgrade??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you still able to upgrade the P85D??
If so how much is it now and is it hardware or just a software unlock?

Since they haven't removed it from the website, I don't see why not:

Tesla — LUDICROUS MODE ONLY (P85D) - PRE ORDER DEPOSIT

...provided you qualify:

"The LUDICROUS speed option is currently only available as a retrofit to customers who placed a P85D Model S order through Tesla before 11am PST Friday, 7/17/2015. Ineligible orders will be cancelled."

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Indpowr
You could... but why? I've noodled about doing it and decided against it. It's not going to make a huge difference in performance, and the P85D is a long ways away from being the big dog - L or not.

The P85D insane will still scare the heck out of anybody who doesn't know what's coming - and it will embarrass virtually any ICE on a jump at the light.

Personally, I've decided to put the 5K toward a 1XXD, when the time comes.

Reactions: GSP
You could... but why? I've noodled about doing it and decided against it. It's not going to make a huge difference in performance, and the P85D is a long ways away from being the big dog - L or not.

The P85D insane will still scare the heck out of anybody who doesn't know what's coming - and it will embarrass virtually any ICE on a jump at the light.

Personally, I've decided to put the 5K toward a 1XXD, when the time comes.

Using that logic, the $10K it took to upgrade from the 85D to the P85D was a *REALLY* bad deal.

For that $10K upgrade, you got a 52 hp bump in power. The L upgrade adds another 55 hp for only $5K more and provides *exactly* the same performance as the V1 P90DL both maxing out at the same 456K. In the typical world of power levels available on stock vehicles when adding X power for Y dollars, adding another X power on top of that costs 2Y (twice as much) yet Tesla offered X more power over the original $10K upgrade for only $5K more. If they'd followed the typical formula for what factory hp costs, it should have been $20K more for for the extra 55 hp if the original 52hp bump was $10K.

The P85D L upgrade is good for reducing 70-90 passing times from 3 seconds down to 2.5 seconds matching the current M5 and S7.

Now it being worth it to *you* is subjective but then why did you pay $10K more for the P85D over the 85D just to get a 52 hp bump over the 85D?

The only reason Tesla offered this upgrade to existing P85D owners was to attempt to quell the outrage that so many P85D owners had over being sold a 463 hp car when Tesla had advertised it at 691hp.

All that said, the folks that got an even better bargain are the relatively few version 2 P90DLs that were made prior to the L being available only on the P100D. For those lucky few, the extra $10K got them yet another 73 hp on top of the 55 hp of the original L upgrade over Insane.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and bhzmark
Using that logic, the $10K it took to upgrade from the 85D to the P85D was a *REALLY* bad deal.

For that $10K upgrade, you got a 52 hp bump in power. The L upgrade adds another 55 hp for only $5K more and provides *exactly* the same performance as the V1 P90DL both maxing out at the same 456K. In the typical world of power levels available on stock vehicles when adding X power for Y dollars, adding another X power on top of that costs 2Y (twice as much) yet Tesla offered X more power over the original $10K upgrade for only $5K more. If they'd followed the typical formula for what factory hp costs, it should have been $20K more for for the extra 55 hp if the original 52hp bump was $10K.

The P85D L upgrade is is good for reducing 70-90 passing power from 3 seconds down to 2.5 seconds matching the current M5 and S7.

Now it being worth it to *you* is subjective but then why did you pay $10K more for the P85D over the 85D just to get a 52 hp bump over the 85D?

The only reason Tesla offered this upgrade to existing P85D owners was to attempt to quell the outrage that so many P85D owners had over being sold a 463 hp car when Tesla had advertised it at 691hp.

All that said, the folks that got an even better bargain are the relatively few P90DLs that were made prior to the L being available only on the P100D. For those lucky few, the extra $10K got them yet another 73 hp on top of the 55 hp of the original L upgrade over Insane.

I 100% agree. The only benefit to having a P85D (or any other P) is/was to have bragging rights to the quickest car out there. I got mine because I had a P85 on order when the P85D was announced and they let me transfer my order; the AWD is definitely important to me. At the time the 85D was still sometime off in the future, but I would likely have bought that had it been available.

By all means go ahead and do the upgrade if it's worth it to you. For me it isn't worth it. Doing the P85D to P85D upgrade right now won't bring back the bragging rights. And I haven't noticed my car lacking in passing power. :)

I 100% agree. The only benefit to having a P85D (or any other P) is/was to have bragging rights to the quickest car out there. I got mine because I had a P85 on order when the P85D was announced and they let me transfer my order; the AWD is definitely important to me. At the time the 85D was still sometime off in the future, but I would likely have bought that had it been available.

By all means go ahead and do the upgrade if it's worth it to you. For me it isn't worth it. Doing the P85D to P85D upgrade right now won't bring back the bragging rights. And I haven't noticed my car lacking in passing power. :)

Ahh!!! Bragging rights. I honestly hadn't considered that reason ;)

I do get asked a lot by co-workers and others I run into if my Tesla is the Ludicrous model. Most out there in the general public don't understand there are different versions of Ludicrous that have different levels of performance.

For me, it was never about bragging. In fact, unless asked, I never even mention Ludicrous but if asked if mine has Ludicrous my answer is "of course":p

Ahh!!! Bragging rights. I honestly hadn't considered that reason ;)

I do get asked a lot by co-workers and others I run into if my Tesla is the Ludicrous model. Most out there in the general public don't understand there are different versions of Ludicrous that have different levels of performance.

For me, it was never about bragging. In fact, unless asked, I never even mention Ludicrous but if asked if mine has Ludicrous my answer is "of course":p

Well.... anybody who claims that they need ludicrous to be able to pass safely, and that a regular D model won't cut it is simply full of crap. And if the intent is to frighten unsuspecting passengers, then my lowly insane mode P85D suffices quite well, thanks. :)

Has anyone claimed they need Ludicrous to pass safely???

I agree with much of your prior post, And we both know that with regard to "needing" Ludicrous to pass safely, nobody said anything of the sort.

But short answer, Ludicrous has been well worth it for me and has made my vehicle much more enjoyable, and yes, while no longer top dog, and bragging rights are always fleeting, I will unapologetically and unabashedly admit that it has saved some of my bragging rights.

• Funny
Reactions: sandpiper
Ludicrous makes the P85D much nicer to drive.
Goes faster.
Feels better.
Answers the question "was it worth it?" From the moment you start driving.
I loved mine- before and after markedly different- I often said "This is how the car was MEANT to feel"
Enjoy either way :)

Just got a voicemail from Tesla asking if I still wanted the Ludicrous upgrade I'd ordered January 4th for my 2015 P85D with the Plus suspension (March 2015 build).

I bought our fully loaded P85D in August 2015 with 2,901 miles as an "inventory" car and now have ~ 29,000 miles on it. TOTALLY love driving it both around town and road trips.

Do you feel the Ludicrous upgrade is worth the $5,000 cost? Obviously more speed will be appreciated since I came from a 505 hp / 3,100 lb. 2006 Corvette Z06... but how much (if any) would this upgrade increase the resale value in a couple more years?

Reactions: ICUDoc
I chose to upgrade because of max power output with Insane is higher with Ludi between 40 -100 % SOC. It will increase resale value, but not by 5k, and it will be easier to sell.

Edit: clearly worth it for me