Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D motor hp controversy starts also to show in U.S. media

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frankly, it is a stupid controversy. The absolute number one issue about cars is that they poison life on Earth and dangerously, criminally warm the atmosphere. Elon is trying to help save the planet and some people complain about hp !? It is like complaining about your comfort in the middle of a crucial battle during WWII. Insane !

Frankly, it is a stupid controversy. The absolute number one issue about cars is that they poison life on Earth and dangerously, criminally warm the atmosphere. Elon is trying to help save the planet and some people complain about hp !? It is like complaining about your comfort in the middle of a crucial battle during WWII. Insane !

it is a stupid controversy, Tesla should just sell the car with adverised 550HP as it is able to deliver approximately 550HP.

I know they are probably leagally able to adverise it as 700HP and use rollout for 0-60 on P models while using no rollout for standard models. It would still be nice of them to try not to trick people into buying their car, it is an awesome car and such shennanigans should be completely unnecessary

it is a stupid controversy, Tesla should just sell the car with adverised 550HP as it is able to deliver approximately 550HP.

I know they are probably leagally able to adverise it as 700HP and use rollout for 0-60 on P models while using no rollout for standard models. It would still be nice of them to try not to trick people into buying their car, it is an awesome car and such shennanigans should be completely unnecessary

On the contrary, I think they should do anything legal to replace as many polluting cars with electric cars as quickly as possible. Winning a war for survival is not about ethics.

I guess we agree to disagree. I think they should be honest

The reality is that most people are stupid and emotional, not rational and healthy. Many people buy a Tesla for stupid, emotional reasons, like acceleration, or are unhappy about a nosecone ! When life on Earth is dangerously threatened by our way of life and you have decided to take action on a large scale like Elon, you have to go over people's pathetic flaws by any legal means necessary.

WarpedOne, if the battery cannot deliver the power, why state it, other than to get people to pay the extra money for it? I get your nitpick, "motor power", BUT, if you are going to nit pick, it also doesn't state anywhere that the 0-60 numbers are on a horizontal surface powered by motors, so you wouldn't have any problems if they advertised acceleration of a Model S when driven off the cliff, dropped from a plane, or fired out of a large cannon, right?

I get your nitpick, "motor power", BUT, if you are going to nit pick, it also doesn't state anywhere that the 0-60 numbers are on a horizontal surface powered by motors, so you wouldn't have any problems if they advertised acceleration of a Model S when driven off the cliff, dropped from a plane, or fired out of a large cannon, right?
But they didn't.
Where they did differ from common case, they have clearly stated it as such: motor power.

You may want for them to do otherwise but they were honest. For anyone truly believing Tesla weren't honest, they should take the case to the court.
Really.
If they really have it right, it should be an easy and fast win.
Don't feel sorry for tesla, do what is right and sue the ***.

Or is there something else? People fast read things, have poor understanding and then try to blame everybody else for their mistakes?

Technically, since the acceleration goes up to 1.1 g, you'll get a better 0-60 time if you drive it normally rather than driving it off a cliff/dropping it from a plane ;)

Actually no. 60mph = 26.8m/s. 1g = 9.8m/s/s, so 0-60 at 1g would take 2.7s (vs. 3.4s without the 1ft roll-out). What you missed is that P85D *peaks* above 1g, but nowhere near can it sustain it to 60mph. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

WarpedOne, would it have been honest by you if they added all the motors in the car in that number (air suspension compressor, AC compressor, HVAC fan, power windows, power roof, winshield-washer nozzle pump, seat motors, wipers, power lift-gate, battery cooling/heating pump, etc.)?

By your logic, Honda Civic could advertise 500hp, which the engine could probably develop for some short time given the right fuel (with Nitrous) and fuel delivery system which of course doesn't come with the car (and which would void the warranty, but so would me plugging in a more powerful battery to my model S).

But they didn't.
Where they did differ from common case, they have clearly stated it as such: motor power.

You may want for them to do otherwise but they were honest.

They were honest in the sense that Coca-Cola would be honest if they advertised their soft drinks as "100% fat-free". It's technically correct, but it's misleading for the customer as it causes the customer to think that the product is better than it really is.

JB Straubel called those who complain about acceleration big-bonned :biggrin::

Additionally, he pointed out that the weight of the driver and all additional features that add weight to the car can reduce acceleration.

Personally, I think those who complain want free Ludicrous upgrades!

JB Straubel called those who complain about acceleration big-bonned :biggrin::

Personally, I think those who complain want free Ludicrous upgrades!

The car need the Ludicrous update to do the advertised 0-60 mph in 3.1 sec without! 1 ft rollout (That Tesla did just add info on the website 1 month ago) and to perform at least 640hp that is closer to 700hp than 550hp it makes today. Still not the advertised motor power (Motor power is the power the engines can make from the battery or the fuel pump and injectors on a gas car, it is not ) But that will be an solution I can accept. We have very good buyer protection laws against false advertisement in Norway so i'm not concerned with the proof we have that the car does not deliver what was promised by Tesla.

I spent around $160,000 on a P85D. Part of my buying decision was based on the performance figures advertised. I believe they intentionally misled the consumers. The intent in advertising of the higher horsepower numbers had an intent and purpose to induce a purchase.

Car buffs like myself believed the advertised specs. I constantly tell my fellow car buffs it produces 691 HP but it does not!
The intent was to mislead to induce a purchase and yes, that's what they did. That's not right. I like the car. Not sure I would have shelled out as much money on the P85D if I knew the true performance specs were less.

Whether this is misleading advertising is whether it is legal or not will be up to the Legal system. I just don't like being intentionally misled. I'm sure all this negative press and lower specs will affect my realsale value as well. That's not right and must be dealt with.

I spent around $160,000 on a P85D. Part of my buying decision was based on the performance figures advertised. I believe they intentionally misled the consumers. The intent in advertising of the higher horsepower numbers had an intent and purpose to induce a purchase.

Car buffs like myself believed the advertised specs. I constantly tell my fellow car buffs it produces 691 HP but it does not!
The intent was to mislead to induce a purchase and yes, that's what they did. That's not right. I like the car. Not sure I would have shelled out as much money on the P85D if I knew the true performance specs were less.

Whether this is misleading advertising is whether it is legal or not will be up to the Legal system. I just don't like being intentionally misled. I'm sure all this negative press and lower specs will affect my realsale value as well. That's not right and must be dealt with.

Become an Earth buff. Problem soved

Lucly,

let me finish your rant

and I take absolutely no responsibility at all for remotely understanding the difference between ICE and BeV. Instead of taking the car back to Tesla the very same day and asking for my money back, I kept it and complaining about it......

I understand how you could be upset. I just can not understand your post initial disappointment reaction. If you were "duped" then simply turn around on your drive home and return the vehicle.

Lucly,

let me finish your rant

and I take absolutely no responsibility at all for remotely understanding the difference between ICE and BeV. Instead of taking the car back to Tesla the very same day and asking for my money back, I kept it and complaining about it......

I understand how you could be upset. I just can not understand your post initial disappointment reaction. If you were "duped" then simply turn around on your drive home and return the vehicle.

Perhaps because the HP rating wasn't the ONLY reason he bought the car...