TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85D Musings

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by NOLA_Mike, Dec 27, 2014.

1. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

After a little more than 24 hours into my new P85D ownership a few more miscellaneous observations...

Unlike my mid-2013 P85+ there's not much in the way of printed manuals for the car. There's a relatively small manual with some information on towing, warranty and the like. It refers you to the "built in" manual via the touchscreen. All in all, I'm okay with this since the owner's manual that came with the first one was outdated as soon as the first major OTA update hit. However, the current version of the on screen manual doesn't seem up to date on the D model features - I couldn't find any reference to the acceleration modes (Sport, Insane) and it still showed old screens with the steering adjustments (not the newer tabs). I'm guessing that will be updated with a future software update but the assumed advantage to having this dynamic on screen manual is the ability to keep it updated in concert with the updated features.

Being new to the parking sensors (those were added after my previous model) I did learn from the on screen manual that you could instantly silence the chimes by pressing the left scroll wheel (same wheel used for muting the radio). Haven't tried this yet but am glad to see it since I pull in to very tight quarters in my garage and it is chirping and telling me to STOP during this whole maneuver.

Is there no way to manually retract the outside rearview mirrors? All I can find is the setting that automatically does it when the car locks.

More to come later I'm sure...

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Press the middle button on the door between the left and right mirror adjustment knobs to retract. Press again to extend. I always leave auto-retract off and just manually retract them when needed.

3. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

Wow, thanks. And I saw that button there - I guess I just haven't had time to process everything. :)

I, like you, want to only fold them in when I need to not every time I lock/unlock the car.

4. Zextraterrestrial

I am kind of confused that they can push a car out and have the software halfway there and have no manual for it and it is still ok? lots of people complain about other stuff but this seems like a major fail.
    My car never had a monroney(baloney?) label and I couldn't even get one from Tesla when I tried..is my car legal?

5. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

#5 EarlyAdopter, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I have the same problem and boy is it annoying. Also had it happen once when going through a drive-through.

CONFIRMED - This works. Awesome!

On a side note, does anyone else find the parking sensors to lag badly? Like, by the time it starts beeping and saying "STOP" it seems like you'd have already hit something.

6. marchyman

marchyman Member

No. Not an issue on my S85. Maybe I drive slower in situations where the chimes are likely to sound than you do.

I find the sensors helpful in positioning the car in the right spot in my garage.

7. Darren Donovan

NOLA Mike,

Congrats on the car! Cool to read about a MS owner in LA. I'm here visiting New Orleans, have been here a few days, and have not seen even one MS. Saw 1 Volt in Metairie near Best Buy. No Leaf, very few Prius, at least compared to CA.

8. BIGDJE

BIGDJE Member

it is not legal in CA to take off the window sticker the customer has to do that and yes very odd you did not get one with the car. did you pick it up at the factory?

9. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

Thanks Darren. There are certainly a few around New Orleans now but obviously it is no where near the Model S density that one would see in CA. You have seen a lot of pick up trucks though, no? :)

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

??? I'm not sure what you're referring to in my post?

If you're referring to the Monroney (Window) Sticker - it was given to me and thankfully not stuck to the window when I picked up the car at the Houston Service Center.

Mike