TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P85D nearing end of lease and, projected value at 100k miles?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by ReversePolarity, Jul 4, 2017.

1. ReversePolarity

Does anyone have any estimate or prior data of how much the vehicle would be worth, at year 6 with around 100k miles?

I've got a 2014 P85D with 35k miles, will probably reach 40k miles at end of lease. Lease end price is $55k , including extended warranty and tax, it'd be $65k.

Fast forward 3 years of expected ownership, I'll probably sell it at 100k miles. Questions is, what would be the value down the line? 25k? Because at $25k, depreciation of $40k, 60k miles of driving, we'd be looking at $0.66 per mile... much lower than a discounted inventory P100D, which is around $60k of lease payments for 36000 miles ($1.66/mile),

However, economics of that would change if I went overkill on mileage, $66,000 for 60000 miles ($1.10 per mile).

With a day 1 model 3 reservation and residing on west coast, maybe I can end up with one in early 2018. Its definitely a lot of "first world" decisions to make here =X.. thoughts? wisdom?

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

A 2014 P85D for $65k out the door now is a pretty good price. We bought an early 2015 for $75.5 before TTL and that was a great deal.

I have no idea what the market will look like in 3 years with the Model 3 out at that point. Right now 100k mile cars are still in the $30k range, but nothing has exceeded the 8 year battery/DU warranty, so I would expect a large drop off when those cars start showing up. Yours will be close to that point when you sell it.