Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D - NEW Seats Announced - Finally!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK.

So someone who wants to buy a loaded 85D for ~$110,000 can't get the seats they want for their car. Nor can they choose the color on said seats.

And that makes sense how?

it makes sense in that Tesla is running a business - they need to make a profit so they'll be around to look after us in years to come. Scrapping possibly millions of $$$'s worth of seats (or paying out on a contract) would definitely NOT make sense.

I think green1's comment was a valid explanation.

Changing the rest of the interior with black seats seems at first glance an odd choice.
I am a big fan of 2 Tone interiors, but they have to be "designed' properly to be beautiful.
Anyone know if there is a well thought out plan for changing the interior trim?

Design center has a link to this photo http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_images/next-generation-black-lhd.jpg

next-generation-black-lhd.jpg

Look what happens when you change "black" in the file name.
next-generation-tan-lhd.jpg

next-generation-grey-lhd.jpg

...just wish they had photos with the black headliner now.

Well Telsa may have won me back with the p85D--AWD and lighting speed!

BUT, went to configure and saw this golden nugget--NEW "NEXT GENERATION" SEATS! Unfortunately no pics :confused:

Here's a screen shot from configurator:

ScreenShot2014-10-10at70612AM_zpsc7fa5374.png

Hey Texex! Did I ever thank you for compelling me to get the "P"? Drove a loaner without it the other day and I'm SO glad I upgraded. It's good to see you back on the Tesla train. It would seem your decision to wait may just have paid off. I expect a "D" will be in my future one day. ;)

+1 for the fabric option. Besides the ethical reasons, leather gives of an odd (fume?) byproduct as it rots, leaving a film on the windows. What is that anyway?

The film on the windows actually isn't from the leather. It's stuff from dash and trim plastics that vaporizes over time and gets deposited onto the glass. I know this because I've owned several Hondas, all with fabric seats, that had this foggy stuff on the windows (most easily removed with a 50/50 water/vinegar mix. Wipe with damp microfiber cloth, then wipe off with dry cloth).

Back on the subject of the seats. Race car driver Leilani Munter (a vegan) asked Elon to make cloth seats available on the P85+ back in 2013. Tesla implemented the fabric seats in the P85 soon after. Prior to that, leather was the only option for any P85.

If enough people, or the right person, asks, I'm sure Tesla will accommodate. At any rate, once the new seat design is in full production, I'm sure cloth will be the base option across the board. Write to Tesla if it concerns you!

Politely and respectfully disagree--others have posted "Where's the fabric option" on these new seats above, and rightfully so. Rather than move very pertinent posts that bring up this MAJOR (and repeated) error TM's part, they're sent off to some backwater thread?

Tesla has made this error before, and they've fixed it promptly. They need to do so again, and will, probably sooner than later. But, keeping it on a more visible thread would help make that happen as I believe TM reads these to keep a pulse on the World of Tesla....

Lastly, after reading a few of the comments in the other thread, I need to remind and point out to all that if a topic makes one uncomfortable, perhaps it would be best to examine why that's the case, and start on a path toward addressing the cognitive dissonance, no? Let's stipulate that we've all had many decades of a reinforced behavior and thought process, and that challenges to those might be difficult to wrap our brains around, but that's what we have to do when exposed to new information. Similar changes have happened in the recent past: smoking, seat belt use, among others. As many move toward sustainable, ethical and plant-based lifestyles, we see the same gnashing of teeth, arguments, and, finally, moves toward the better. Eventually, nearly all get on board; why not do so early and reap the benefits for us, and future generations?

Last edited:
Seems very likely that Tesla will offer additional seat color options and textile seats for the P85D as they do for all other Model S. The P85 initially only had leather seats, but Tesla heard their customers and responded with a textile option.

I think in the P85D we are just seeing the initial version of the new seats. Write to Tesla and let them know this is important to you; maybe the other P85D seat options will happen faster that way. :smile: