Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D - NEW Seats Announced - Finally!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you just have to have one of the first P85D vehicles, I would wait a month or two to order. That way, the ordering and options situation should be more clear, plus, you would get a higher VIN number, which might have fewer small issues that have been resolved after they build and deliver the initial production batch.

I also am ready to order a S85D. I must be able to get Gray Recaro seats!!! Or no order.

they tell me no upgraded seats on the regular 85d. that's the only thing that is holding me back from finalizing my placed order. Did they offer upgraded seats the first time they made slight changes at extra cost? I am thinking if i delay a little while i might get my wish to purchase them. but i'm also fantasizing i can use the awd this ski season, could my s85d car come earlier than February? give me the damn upgraded seats and i'll confirm. i'll even pay more money down. just do it, tesla. i told my sales rep but no dice. she said i could probably open my order later if they did change to offer them. i think in the past that they charged you the new price for all options if you made any changes.

Unless you just have to have one of the first P85D vehicles, I would wait a month or two to order. That way, the ordering and options situation should be more clear, plus, you would get a higher VIN number, which might have fewer small issues that have been resolved after they build and deliver the initial production batch.

I would wait much longer, at least a year. All D vehicle purchasers are just beta testers for the X drivetrain. You can and should expect problems, and hopefully won't mind working with Tesla to work out the bugs and iron out the kinks.

they tell me no upgraded seats on the regular 85d. that's the only thing that is holding me back from finalizing my placed order. Did they offer upgraded seats the first time they made slight changes at extra cost? I am thinking if i delay a little while i might get my wish to purchase them. but i'm also fantasizing i can use the awd this ski season, could my s85d car come earlier than February? give me the damn upgraded seats and i'll confirm. i'll even pay more money down. just do it, tesla. i told my sales rep but no dice. she said i could probably open my order later if they did change to offer them. i think in the past that they charged you the new price for all options if you made any changes.
They're likely phasing in the seats. IIRC, the current "Performance Seats" were originally a bundled option with the P85. Eventually they were split off and able to be ordered with all models. I'd expect the same here.

I would wait much longer, at least a year. All D vehicle purchasers are just beta testers for the X drivetrain. You can and should expect problems, and hopefully won't mind working with Tesla to work out the bugs and iron out the kinks.

Sign me up! Gotta make sure everything's all smooth by the time my wife gets her Model X, otherwise I'm going to have worse things to deal with than beta testing.

If the seats really bother you why not just go to a good upholstery shop and have them redone into whatever shape and color you want?
Or… Why doesn’t Tesla simply let people order the seats they want with the car?

- - - Updated - - -

they tell me no upgraded seats on the regular 85d. that's the only thing that is holding me back from finalizing my placed order. /...
If I were you, I would escalate this issue. Let the brass know that you’re not going to order the car until you get the new seats. And if you want the red callipers, the metal finish pedals and the (faux) leather dash with the black Alcantara headliner, then let them know that too.

Or… Why doesn’t Tesla simply let people order the seats they want with the car?

Two ideas come to mind: (1) they want to incentivize people to spend a lot more money, features only on the P85D to encourage people to buy it. (2) they don't have enough seats, or might not have enough for everyone to get one, so hold them back for the smaller category.

If I were you, I would escalate this issue. Let the brass know that you’re not going to order the car until you get the new seats. And if you want the red callipers, the metal finish pedals and the (faux) leather dash with the black Alcantara headliner, then let them know that too.

I want to complain. Do I sent mail to ownership? or sales@?

I have worked on software projects where we were always trying to figure out what features to put on the enterprise version of the software to make some stupid company pay way more for basically the same product. This feels like that kind of thing.

Two ideas come to mind: (1) they want to incentivize people to spend a lot more money, features only on the P85D to encourage people to buy it. (2) they don't have enough seats, or might not have enough for everyone to get one, so hold them back for the smaller category.
Or (3) Tesla has contracted to buy a given number of the old seats, or the materials that they are made with, and Tesla needs to go through that stock before moving to the new seats in all vehicles. If there is an abundance of stock or back orders for the old style and they make the new ones available as standard or as an option, they could get stuck with unused inventory.

I can confirm that P85D seats are definitely black only, at least for the time being. Initially there was also only one headliner option as well (black, natch), but they're now doing the tan headliner as well... although I'm not a fan of the two-tone interior.

My current S has the tan interior, so I was a little worried about the black, but I did sit in one today, and the black is actually quite beautiful. It's not jet black... more of a very dark gray. I've never had a problem with heat in my current S, so I can't imagine I will with the new seats. And like another poster mentioned, I use my app to pre-cool the car anyway (in Pasadena, it doesn't matter what color your seats are in the summer... leave your car in the sun and the interior will be 120+ no matter what).

from what I have heard, although the seats are only available in black, the ability for us to choose a different color for the rest of the interior trim will be available "very shortly" in the design center.

I've heard this as well from a very reliable source. I wasn't posting it because I didn't get permission from the source. But I'll confirm it. Those of us with orders scheduled for December delivery will still be able to make changes.