Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D no longer fitted with staggered tyres - does this affect traction/performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just at the Fremont delivery center. There were 4 P85D's awaiting delivery, all with the square 245 configuration. A knowledgeable Tesla employee told me that they have configurations from multiple tire suppliers qualified for the P85D. So it looks like the luck of the draw as to whether you get square Continentals or staggered PS2's.

I'm surprised Tesla would leave this to chance, considering the potential price/performance differential between the two setups.

My car came in February with two sets of 21" turbines... one silver with summer (PS2) tires and one grey with winter (Sottozero) tires. The silver summers were staggered and the winter are square... I have zero explanation for this but thought I would share. :)

I don't think Pirelli make the Sottozero in the 265 size. That would be why your winter set is square.

I just squared off my P85+ to 245/35 because I didn't notice any obvious handling advantages while running staggered in my driving situation and the difference in looks are negligible, IMO (currently running 275 in the rear, BTW). What I DID notice was the massive reduction in tire selection and availability when running the wider tires as well as a substantial price difference. I'm also only getting 10K kilometers to a set of rears. Hopefully, a squared setup will help with that too.