Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D: Normal high speed racing technique not as applicable as I had expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps it's because I've never driven a 4WD performance car, or never driven a single geared car, I'm feeling like I've got a bigger learning curve than I had expected to push the car hard.

The car is wonderful to drive, but I don't have the right feel yet, I'm not anticipating correctly. I'm almost always trail breaking into my planned apex and when traction goes, it tends to be in all four wheels at once. Weight distribution is wonderful, the air suspension is also wonderful, but accelerating hard from 0mph the weight transfer to the rear is there :) I almost feel a sense of more G force than a 3.1s car would generate. Tomorrow I'll try and record g forces in various situations with an app.

I would like to take it down to Laguna Seca and do a full day's worth of testing.

Just a heads up to others, one might need to allocate more practice time than expected, and to be conservative initially even if you've got high speed driving experience.

PS My wife drove it for the first time yesterday. Even with me repeatedly saying feather the touch on the accelerator backing out of the garage, we came out with a little bit higher speed than I prefer. :)

What's your experience with power limiting? Has the car overheated yet?

It should be a lot better than the P85, but I still haven't seen any figures for max continuous power draw or seen any experiences.

Not yet, but that's because I don't feel comfortable stringing together too much hard driving. I've definitely pegged the power over 500 on the gauge when driving (my average energy usage is an abysmal 620 wh/mile average for all driving).

Not yet, but that's because I don't feel comfortable stringing together too much hard driving. I've definitely pegged the power over 500 on the gauge when driving (my average energy usage is an abysmal 620 wh/mile average for all driving).
if anyone else is with you in the car a picture of such a high power measurement would be nice to see:smile: