Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D on the "snowy" version of my driveway -- Failed a "start on steep hill" attempt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is another video of the new Tesla P85D on our driveway. Conditions are now deliciously bad -- about 6 inches of new wet spring snow on top of the spring-thaw mud (see previous video). The car did a good (boring) job of getting through it, so I added a "start up on steep hill" attempt, which failed and I learned the limits of wheel spin. I also added a "floor it on an icy road" attempt, which went pretty well in the acceleration department, but proved that stopping is still tricky. Nice view of the farm while this was all going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang. I didn't think to try it. Although my understanding was that it was more for those times when you want to force the car to spin its wheels a little bit -- overcoming the traction-control tendency to prevent wheelspin. This was the opposite -- I didn't want it to spin its wheels and even with traction-control on, it did. I can now pretend that I skipped that test on purpose, but in fact I clean forgot about it. :smile:

UPDATE: Before all you folks jump down my throat, I KNOW that was an unreasonable test. 20 degree slope, ice, all-season tires, etc. I was just trying to find the limit, and I did.

Unfortunately that was self-shoveling snow and is gone now, otherwise I'd hustle down there and try again. Rats.

Last edited: