Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D - Option DPCF Means what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched this site and Google for DPCF as it relates to Tesla and I cannot find anything on what this stands for. I'm looking at a used P85D and the original window sticker has an option DPCF for $1200. What is that?

In addition the car I'm looking at has Autopilot listed, but does NOT have Tech listed, is that possible? I thought AP required the Tech package or am I wrong?

At some point the Tech package went away as an option, so it is possible to have AP and no tech package. They moved stuff around, making some things standard (navigation, etc) and some things under other packages (power liftgate).

This site might help:
Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki
I appreciate the link and even reading the info I'm having a hard time telling whether or not the car I am looking at indeed has the Tech package items. I will upload a PDF of the window sticker here for viewing:

Attachments

• Monroney F084973.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 122
Thanks everyone for your help, I was trying to figure out what it was and I sort of assumed that maybe it was the paperwork fee given that it was close in price to paperwork fees I had seen on other invoices. Too bad it wasn't dual chargers instead. :)

Any thoughts on what that car should sell for?

This is private party, I assume? How many miles? How much are they asking?

Looks like the cheapest a very similarly equipped pearl P85D has sold for as a CPO is $78,000 with 41k miles. Also take into consideration that a private party sale may not come with the extended warranty that the CPO cars do come with. If you are buying from a dealer, you can't buy an extended warranty from Tesla.

You might want to subscribe to EV-CPO for a month or so to get some pricing historical data. It's very useful, and I would always pay less private party than CPO prices due to the warranty, The extended warranty Tesla sells has a $200 deductible and requires all maintenance be performed on schedule, so it's actually worse than the CPO warranty which has no deductible and doesn't require the maintenance.

This is private party, I assume? How many miles? How much are they asking?

Looks like the cheapest a very similarly equipped pearl P85D has sold for as a CPO is $78,000 with 41k miles. Also take into consideration that a private party sale may not come with the extended warranty that the CPO cars do come with. If you are buying from a dealer, you can't buy an extended warranty from Tesla.

You might want to subscribe to EV-CPO for a month or so to get some pricing historical data. It's very useful, and I would always pay less private party than CPO prices due to the warranty, The extended warranty Tesla sells has a $200 deductible and requires all maintenance be performed on schedule, so it's actually worse than the CPO warranty which has no deductible and doesn't require the maintenance.

Actually it is at a dealer, not a private party and they want $70K asking price for it. What I can't tell from the original window sticker is whether it has the Tech Package or not because it was built around the time they changed how they listed the Tech package for awhile. It does have AutoPilot convenience features which I assume means the same thing as AutoPilot 1? I spoke to the dealer briefly yesterday and he says that he has 2 identical cars and they were both cars that Tesla bought back and then resold and he claims they are still supported by Tesla and have the Tesla full warranty. I have an inquiry into a Tesla contact to confirm/deny this claim. The car has 24,000 miles on it and was built in April of 2015 as per the window sticker I attached above. I do follow the Teslainventory site so I've been looking at cars and their historical data and this one does seem to be priced a fair amount less, but again I don't know what this Tesla buy-back thing means. Car is also missing a few options I would prefer, but I haven't been able to find a "perfect" match in the used market anyway. :)

Actually it is at a dealer, not a private party and they want $70K asking price for it. What I can't tell from the original window sticker is whether it has the Tech Package or not because it was built around the time they changed how they listed the Tech package for awhile. It does have AutoPilot convenience features which I assume means the same thing as AutoPilot 1? I spoke to the dealer briefly yesterday and he says that he has 2 identical cars and they were both cars that Tesla bought back and then resold and he claims they are still supported by Tesla and have the Tesla full warranty. I have an inquiry into a Tesla contact to confirm/deny this claim. The car has 24,000 miles on it and was built in April of 2015 as per the window sticker I attached above. I do follow the Teslainventory site so I've been looking at cars and their historical data and this one does seem to be priced a fair amount less, but again I don't know what this Tesla buy-back thing means. Car is also missing a few options I would prefer, but I haven't been able to find a "perfect" match in the used market anyway. :)

$70k seems like a good price. I would worry about the Tesla "buy back" thing. Traditionally "manufacturer buyback" means a lemon and that should show on the title (pull a carfax to see). However it could just be poor wording and it's a regular trade in that Tesla then auctioned off vs putting into their CPO program.

I would verify the warranty status with Tesla directly - you can call your nearest service center with the VIN to check.

As far as verifying the Tech package you may need access to the car to verify it has all the features you are looking for.

What I can't tell from the original window sticker is whether it has the Tech Package or not because it was built around the time they changed how they listed the Tech package for awhile. It does have AutoPilot convenience features which I assume means the same thing as AutoPilot 1? I spoke to the dealer briefly yesterday and he says that he has 2 identical cars and they were both cars that Tesla bought back and then resold and he claims they are still supported by Tesla and have the Tesla full warranty. :)

Our "fully loaded" March 2015 built P85D inventory invoice shows "Tech Package with Autopilot $4,250.00" while your April 2015 P85D only shows "Autopilot Convenience Features $2,500.00". However Tesla kept changing the price and names of options.

Per Tesla Forum tech package questions again | Tesla, the Tech Package adds
  • Autopilot convenience features available through software updates
  • LED cornering lights, and fog lamps
  • Automatic keyless entry
  • Lighted door handles
  • Power liftgate
  • Electrochromatic mirrors
  • Power folding, heated side mirrors with memory
  • GPS enabled homelink
Personally I wouldn't own a P85D without Tech Package both for my own use and resale.

Tesla buybacks can be "lemon law" vehicles. I know because GM bought back my 1999 Corvette under California "lemon law" requirements. Carfax and/or AutoCheck should show buybacks and major accident damage... but doesn't always. Best to get the service records for your P85D VIN... AND buy both Carfax and AutoCheck reports to get their Buyback protection.

Our inventory March 2015 P85D has been mostly trouble free... and Tesla Service fixed the short list of little things that popped up. Best built car I've ever owned besides my 1985 Mercedes 300SD Turbodiesel which we had for 16 years & 190,000 miles.

Good luck!

Our "fully loaded" March 2015 built P85D inventory invoice shows "Tech Package with Autopilot $4,250.00" while your April 2015 P85D only shows "Autopilot Convenience Features $2,500.00". However Tesla kept changing the price and names of options.

Per Tesla Forum tech package questions again | Tesla, the Tech Package adds
  • Autopilot convenience features available through software updates
  • LED cornering lights, and fog lamps
  • Automatic keyless entry
  • Lighted door handles
  • Power liftgate
  • Electrochromatic mirrors
  • Power folding, heated side mirrors with memory
  • GPS enabled homelink
Personally I wouldn't own a P85D without Tech Package both for my own use and resale.

Tesla buybacks can be "lemon law" vehicles. I know because GM bought back my 1999 Corvette under California "lemon law" requirements. Carfax and/or AutoCheck should show buybacks and major accident damage... but doesn't always. Best to get the service records for your P85D VIN... AND buy both Carfax and AutoCheck reports to get their Buyback protection.

Our inventory March 2015 P85D has been mostly trouble free... and Tesla Service fixed the short list of little things that popped up. Best built car I've ever owned besides my 1985 Mercedes 300SD Turbodiesel which we had for 16 years & 190,000 miles.

Good luck!

Here is the report I got back on the buy back. I think I am going to pass but if anyone else is interested I can point you to the dealer with the car...

Attachments

• 1098_001.pdf
    81.9 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Here is the report I got back on the buy back. I think I am going to pass but if anyone else is interested I can point you to the dealer with the car...

Sound decision to pass based on the 1999 Corvette that GM bought back Lemon Law Buyback.

I think you'll find the used Tesla you're looking for... It just takes patience. We looked for 18 months before pulling the trigger... and glad we did since the D models and Autopilot 1.0 became available while we searched.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Thanks everyone for your help, I was trying to figure out what it was and I sort of assumed that maybe it was the paperwork fee given that it was close in price to paperwork fees I had seen on other invoices. Too bad it wasn't dual chargers instead. :)

Have you checked the NADA used car price data or some other source for used car prices? These are probably reflective of the data the 3rd party dealer will use, as well as your insurance company.