Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D -> P100D upgrade decision...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for making and sharing that video. You mentioned several times that new were models are smaller (and potentially lighter), however I did not realize Tesla made any dimension changes to the Model S.
Besides the interior space due to more bolstered seats and the center console, can you point me to a source that shows exterior dimension changes?
Much smaller frunk. ;)

Thank you for making and sharing that video. You mentioned several times that new were models are smaller (and potentially lighter), however I did not realize Tesla made any dimension changes to the Model S.
Besides the interior space due to more bolstered seats and the center console, can you point me to a source that shows exterior dimension changes?

Sure thing, take a look at the owners manual for each and see the difference albeit slight for the different models.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/model_s_owners_manual_na_english_5.9.pdf

Thanks for the link. Exterior dimentsions look identical for both, height depending on air suspension setting.

2A431E35-EF8B-476E-95BB-EDF9E35D5A8D.jpeg

6F757433-10DE-4D30-BFD9-86D49A0213F8.jpeg

I've owned two Model S' and currently have a fully loaded 2015 P85D coming off lease in January. I was excited to get into a P100D, but after spending time looking at the options and implications, I think I've decided to just purchase my P85D and stay in it a few more years, instead of upgrading.

Alldigital: Before you decide to buy out your lease, check what it'll require in cash. I leased a heavily options $120k 2015 P90D and earlier this year as I was approaching my mileage allowance, I debated turning it in, or buying. I have a long time friend whose business is dealing in high end cars and over lunch I pitched the idea of me buying my car out at the stated $70,000 residual, he sell it, and we split the profits. He opened up his tablet, logged into a website and started asking me about the details of my car. When all done he said to me "I could buy your car all day long for $50 - $55,000". So, why would I want to pay $70,000 to buy a car worth $55,000 that would no longer be under warranty in 5,000 miles? As expected, I handed Tesla the keys and walked away.

Reactions: Vitaman
I am considering starting a petition for pre-January 1, 2017 owners to have Tesla (Elon) allow for owners who purchased their Tesla(s) prior to January 1, 2017 to have the option to transfer their unlimited charging to a new Tesla, same model/style (Model S to a newer Model S, Model X to newer Model X) or Upgraded Tesla (Model S 85 to a newer Model S or X 90 or 100). Owner could also leave it with the car as is the current grandfathering. However you would not be allowed to transfer from a Model S or X to a Model 3.

I am considering starting a petition for pre-January 1, 2017 owners to have Tesla (Elon) allow for owners who purchased their Tesla(s) prior to January 1, 2017 to have the option to transfer their unlimited charging to a new Tesla, same model/style (Model S to a newer Model S, Model X to newer Model X) or Upgraded Tesla (Model S 85 to a newer Model S or X 90 or 100). Owner could also leave it with the car as is the current grandfathering. However you would not be allowed to transfer from a Model S or X to a Model 3.
It might not be a bad idea for Tesla, strip free lifetime supercharging from old cars (since it would be transferred to a new one, so owners would be willingly giving it up on the old car). I wonder if free supercharging sets the used Tesla price floor - at some point it's worth buying it just for the free fuel.

As a current owner of a MS P100D, our next car will be the 2020 roadster. It’s hard to give up speed demon acceleration. No interest in the P3D or other luxury cars with more paint choices and interior options.

Couldn't agree more. I love how people on here with 350-691 hp cars try and speed shame you if you value speed an acceleration over say "vegan leather." These cars are some of the quickest on earth because the guy who runs the factory is an absolute speed freak, himself.

I laugh when people say I'm a tree hugger because I have a Zero, Teslas and 10 kw dc of panels on my porch. I tell them its not because its green per se but because it simply is the better solution. The cars are better. The source of excited electrons is better and, oh yea, its not digging up sequestered carbon and dumping it in the atmosphere. I then proceed to ask them if they defecate where they sleep. Somehow they are appalled at that question but have no problem spewing crap into the air. Go figure.

I was always in favor of having legacy owners get free unlimited supercharging at the account level, rewarding early adopters with that perk and allow them to keep it AND have no hesitation in upgrading. This would be a limited number of owners, and that number would get smaller and smaller in relation to the totality of owners over time. Could even limit it to 1 vehicle per account.

Something I am curious about is Super Charging V3. If the charger output goes up to ~350kW it must mean a future generation of cars can use it?

From memory once my Model S get's to 33% SOC the kW taper off. Means the battery cannot continue to accept a full 120kW. So if they are significantly upping the kW from the chargers, the batteries my be able to take it?

Maybe that's another reason to not upgrade a Model S right now...??

Something I am curious about is Super Charging V3. If the charger output goes up to ~350kW it must mean a future generation of cars can use it?

From memory once my Model S get's to 33% SOC the kW taper off. Means the battery cannot continue to accept a full 120kW. So if they are significantly upping the kW from the chargers, the batteries my be able to take it?

Maybe that's another reason to not upgrade a Model S right now...??

Yes, the Model 3 can handle much more kW, possibly close to 200 kW. Would be very strange to introduce Supercharger v3 while having a "flagship" model not supporting it. Thus, a refersh with CCS and improved battery must come. Also, I think the 75 battery will be history. If the new S supports roof rack, I will trade in my P90DL.

So...... I return from my original post that started this thread. I was on the fence between purchasing my low miles P85D off of lease or buying a new P100D. I went into a store last week and came home with a new P100D. It turns out, in Southern California, they have a LOT of inventory and a lot of incentives to move them this quarter. The vehicle I got was brand new (< 50 miles), but labeled a "test drive model". For that they took $12K off the price and I still get the Federal Tax Credit. They also said that "existing owners of lifetime cars get three years free super charging". The inventory cars also have some of the old woods, but are still 100% new with MCU2, etc. So, there was a lot of sweetener that you can't get online.

Overall, I am very happy with the car. I was also very happy with my P85D, but I would have had to overpay for the lease buy-out and I would have lost my HOV lane privileges in CA. The P100D is more refined than my last P85D. The MCU2 is fast and smooth, like the Model 3. I am not a fan of the "Vegan Leather", but I like the ventilated AC seats, especially in SoCal. The built-in center console is also nice. Oh, yeah, there is the increased range and also launch mode - holy crap! Overall, I love the upgrade, like I love going from an iPhone 7 to an iPhone X. It is still an iPhone, but faster and smoother. The P85DL is also an amazing car, so I am very supportive of all the comments above. Tesla should do more to incentivize the upgrade. They should also advertise the "three years free if you upgrade from lifetime" -- that is a no brainer.

So...... I return from my original post that started this thread. I was on the fence between purchasing my low miles P85D off of lease or buying a new P100D. I went into a store last week and came home with a new P100D. It turns out, in Southern California, they have a LOT of inventory and a lot of incentives to move them this quarter. The vehicle I got was brand new (< 50 miles), but labeled a "test drive model". For that they took $12K off the price and I still get the Federal Tax Credit. They also said that "existing owners of lifetime cars get three years free super charging". The inventory cars also have some of the old woods, but are still 100% new with MCU2, etc. So, there was a lot of sweetener that you can't get online.

Overall, I am very happy with the car. I was also very happy with my P85D, but I would have had to overpay for the lease buy-out and I would have lost my HOV lane privileges in CA. The P100D is more refined than my last P85D. The MCU2 is fast and smooth, like the Model 3. I am not a fan of the "Vegan Leather", but I like the ventilated AC seats, especially in SoCal. The built-in center console is also nice. Oh, yeah, there is the increased range and also launch mode - holy crap! Overall, I love the upgrade, like I love going from an iPhone 7 to an iPhone X. It is still an iPhone, but faster and smoother. The P85DL is also an amazing car, so I am very supportive of all the comments above. Tesla should do more to incentivize the upgrade. They should also advertise the "three years free if you upgrade from lifetime" -- that is a no brainer.

I bought the showroom car, S P100D, that I test drove. It had just under 800 miles on it for which Tesla discounted 14k. With the tax credit and the fact that DC charges no sales tax on EVs, it was a bargain over similar ICE cars in its class like the Mercedes S, BMW 7 series and the Porsche Panamera Turbo.

Enjoy your new P100D. I love, love, love my car!

Also, I have free life time supercharging for as long as we own the S P100D. Tesla was running a special through their showrooms for free supercharging for S, X and the 3 that ended 9/16/18.

Last edited: