Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D -> P100D upgrade decision...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing to do with ludi.

I was quoting and referring to driving the car with the suspension on high. Whether ludi or not.

I heard that driving the car with suspension of high damages the half axles. Perhaps more so with the performance models under hard accel.
O ok, yeah I have no idea. My thoughts is ever since the model x, Tesla opt to use the same air suspension mechanism on both vehicles to save money. I believe the model x suspension is just better and build to drive at higher speed without lowering and it just migrated over to the model s in both the height as well ability to ride faster at higher height. But yeah not sure if it had to do with the axle or not.

Take a ride in a new car and you will know. I did. Tesla dont publish these things, you just have to drive a recent car to know... or are you afraid you will want to upgrade once you try one out?

Tesla often doesn't publish improvements but the community here always picks up on them quickly. You've listed improvements that have not been confirmed by another other reports that I've seen. Is it possible the led lights were improved in the last month? Sure. But I doubt it. Why not post a picture of your low beam cutoff against your garage door and we can judge if it's improved over this:
LED headlight sloppy spill pattern....

I've seen no posts of any improvement to the premium sound. We have over 50 teslas at my place of employment and I've been in half of them on the way to lunch. Haven't heard anything in the premium sound system to make me think it's better.

There are plenty of items on your list. Of course there are going to be many positives of upgrading to P100D over a P85D. But no reason to pad the list with improvements that don't exist.

That said, you've missed a bunch of improvements including seats such as power memory headrests, lighted vanity mirrors(I had to pay $250 to add the current factory ones to my P85DL+).

At some point, when I'm upgrading my current S to whatever the current performance mode is in say 3.5 years (P120D or P130D), I'll have deal with some of these issues as well. There will be many more improvements, but there will be some things that I'll lose in the current car that I'll never get back in the new one....like v8(please let v9 be fixed by then).

...and FYI, just sat in a 2 month old 100D today and raised and lowered the car. I didn't notice any difference in speed or noise.

Every time I get tempted to upgrade my P85DL+, I just give it a nice wash and sometimes a minor makeover. New shoes (arachnids) and new skirts (rocker panels painted white). #NotForSale

View attachment 396645

100% agree the Arachnids really freshened up our P85D+ too.

I really liked your "chrome delete" on the rocker panels. Brilliant !!!

IMG_4896.JPG

Reactions: commasign
My 2c.

You have a nice car. Keep it. I went from a push bike to a p100d and the upgrade was as immense as you might expect. The car is incredible, but it's not really that different from the first models that came out many years ago. You will be wowed the first few times you whack the accelerator but then continue to drive it in the same way you drive your current car.

If you are a two car household look at changing the second car to something like a p3d so you have a new toy and new tech to play with. I think my second car will be an Sr+ just for ease of parking and zipping around town. But right now we're quite content sharing one S (I still have my bike ;) )

WRT what Tesla has or has not done with throttling, counters, limiters and the like, we caught them once doing this. They are smart and knew exactly what they were doing. When caught, they were slow to roll back. Trust was lost with me. I no longer use CAN sniffing on my car nor am I participating in the Tesla upgrade game any more. There is nothing to stop them from doing the very same thing in a less flagrant way so as not to be so obvious and get caught. Fool me once........

1) Only if you like the duck bill look over the Aston Martin look.
2) Have you not seen all of the threads complaining about the LED spill pattern? The LEDs are horrible. I had a 90D loaner with LED and the lights were dimmer and had no sharp cutoff like the HIDs.
6) Unless someone can confirm that full power has been restored it may only matter if you do the entire song and dance to enable L+ with launch mode.
10) I didn't realize the air suspension has been updated. What did they do to improve it?
11) Everyone has LTE now because any MCU replacement automatically comes with LTE. I have LTE and didn't pay for it. Did you miss the threads of pissed off owners who paid $500 for LTE and now have it throttled to 3g speeds?
13) The sound system was improved? Didn't realize that. What did they improve?

You have a lot of good things on the list but I believe there are a lot of things on your list that probably are inaccurate.

@sorka
2) Can confirm LED spill pattern was an issue for me before upgrading didn't like the pattern in comparison nor did I like the angle they were pointed (more of a spotlight directly in front of the car instead of lights that light up the roadway). However, they've grown on me and the smooth fade of High's is much better than the sharp on/off of the HID's.

6) Cannot confirm but can confirm in Ludicrous and Especially L+ that power FEELS noticeably different and passing speed in L+ is also very noticeable at 60mph+

10) Air suspension has been upgraded, not sure of the specifics but its a lot smoother, and faster but more over a LOT quieter than previous versions.

13) Sound system was upgraded with new speakers and new processor (Immersive Sound).

I will add 1 more point to consider and that is "Sentry Mode", having piece of mind when parking is very valuable IMO and to be able to see what happened to or around your car when you were away makes it worth considering upgrading.

@sorka
2) Can confirm LED spill pattern was an issue for me before upgrading didn't like the pattern in comparison nor did I like the angle they were pointed (more of a spotlight directly in front of the car instead of lights that light up the roadway). However, they've grown on me and the smooth fade of High's is much better than the sharp on/off of the HID's.

6) Cannot confirm but can confirm in Ludicrous and Especially L+ that power FEELS noticeably different and passing speed in L+ is also very noticeable at 60mph+

10) Air suspension has been upgraded, not sure of the specifics but its a lot smoother, and faster but more over a LOT quieter than previous versions.

13) Sound system was upgraded with new speakers and new processor (Immersive Sound).

I will add 1 more point to consider and that is "Sentry Mode", having piece of mind when parking is very valuable IMO and to be able to see what happened to or around your car when you were away makes it worth considering upgrading.

Interesting. Was just in a new 100D yesterday and noticed no difference. Maybe the PLUS suspension air units are already different. It only takes about 4 seconds to go from "very high" to "low".

The thing on the LEDs that you're "used" to is exactly the problem with them. A sharp cutoff that has even light right up to the cutoff point allows the beam to stay higher and illuminate farther out and be brighter over all. I don't think getting "used" to it qualifies as them getting better. The real question is if there was some improvement over the LEDs that Tesla made in the last 6 months to address the numerous complaints folks have had in multiple threads on this forum regarding their spill pattern.

13) Which sound system? The base or the premium? I have confirmed golden ears and the new 100D with my standard test content didn't sound any better. That said, neither my P85D or the 100D sound better than the Mark Levinson in my wife's Lexus. That's still the best stock sound system I've heard to date.

Oh, I see. So we've entered *beater* territory now for the P85D. What's next? Chrome fender inserts and 24" spinners? :rolleyes:

So saying if you keep your old P85D it wouldn't be more reasonable to drive that around in area's where its high public, instead of taking out a brand new P3D?

If you had to chose a beater between a P85D and a NEW P3D which would you chose?

Well the P85D would also make more sense to take to the super market since it has like twice the trunk room.
You'd be suprised how many times i had to use the Frunk even when i goto Costco.

Last edited:
Interesting. Was just in a new 100D yesterday and noticed no difference. Maybe the PLUS suspension air units are already different. It only takes about 4 seconds to go from "very high" to "low".

The thing on the LEDs that you're "used" to is exactly the problem with them. A sharp cutoff that has even light right up to the cutoff point allows the beam to stay higher and illuminate farther out and be brighter over all. I don't think getting "used" to it qualifies as them getting better. The real question is if there was some improvement over the LEDs that Tesla made in the last 6 months to address the numerous complaints folks have had in multiple threads on this forum regarding their spill pattern.

13) Which sound system? The base or the premium? I have confirmed golden ears and the new 100D with my standard test content didn't sound any better. That said, neither my P85D or the 100D sound better than the Mark Levinson in my wife's Lexus. That's still the best stock sound system I've heard to date.

Not saying the LED's are better, especially the spill pattern, just saying its not as bad as you may think when you get used to it.

Premium Sound system is what I am referring to, and subjectively speaking the Tesla sound system wont really compete with a B&O, ML, or Bose car system so if thats the basis of comparison then its a moot point. However, if you are comparing the premium of a P85D then it will be better IMO.

So saying if you keep your old P85D it wouldn't be more reasonable to drive that around in area's where its high public, instead of taking out a brand new P3D?

If you had to chose a beater between a P85D and a NEW P3D which would you chose?

Well the P85D would also make more sense to take to the super market since it has like twice the trunk room.
You'd be suprised how many times i had to use the Frunk even when i goto Costco.

I'm saying it would never be reasonable to drive any NICE Tesla that is kept in prestine condition regardless of age and mileage. I suppose if you're the type that is incapable of keeping your nice car nice, then that's one thing. Eventually you collect enough cumulative damage that it becomes a beater.

20160306_131452.jpg

My 87K mile 4 year old P85D is cosmetically perfect. It has no dings, scratches, swirls, paint chips, or road wheel road rash. The x-pel ultimate has held up well and the car is swirl free because it has only ever been washed by me using 15 micro fiber mitts rather than messing with multiple rinse buckets and grit guards so no chance of contamination by rinsing and reusing a mitt. I've been fortunate that Tesla never accidentally washed the car even once or they would have ruined the paint.

The only interior sign of wear is some slight wrinkling on the drivers side seat bottom left bolster.

I fully expect it to look the same at 200K miles although I'll probably have the leather redone by then on the drivers bottom seat bolster.

Do you think I'm suddenly going to wake up one morning and decide it's old enough with high enough mileage that it qualifies as a beater? I think not o_O

Of our 4 cars, our Prius is the designated beater and has been such even when it was brand new(315K miles now zero repairs). It will cost a lot more to fix the Tesla from being vandalized compared to the Prius regardless of how old or how many miles it has...which is another place where your logic fails.

That said, I can certainly understand there will be abused Tesla's out there that were cosmetically trashed. S85's are starting to hit low $20Ks figure with scratches and dents and mid to upper $20Ks in someone decent condition.

Used S85's starting to drop in to the mid $20Ks....

which is why I'm looking at one of these for my daughter when she turns 16 in December since it's pretty much impossible to have a car in a high school parking lot that doesn't get damaged(we will of course have a dual channel Blackvue so that if it is damaged we can have a chance at recovery). I consider that more of an animal rescue. If I personally knew someone who was treating their Tesla that way, I'd definitely be calling CPS on them(hint the C does not stand for Child:rolleyes:)

And to answer your question about which I'd choose. If the P85D was pristine and had at least 4 years left on the unlimited mileage battery and DU warranty, then it's a no brainer. The 3 only has a 100K mile battery and DU warranty and I drive 50K miles a year so it's a non starter for me.

The other non starter for me is that I need reading glasses to see things up close. I've driven co-workers 3s(including one P3D) and the display is very hard to see since it is closer and there is no instrument cluster in front of me. I like almost everything about the S over the 3 including the fact that I can load huge amounts of cargo in the back while I can't with the 3.

Not only is the S a better looking car (even with the duck bill facelift), but even the non L version edges out the P3D to 60 and more than edges it out from 50-70 MPH rolls.

In 3 years, I'll repeat the cycle and buy a new P1XXDL and do it all over again provided that there's still an unlimited mileage 8 year warranty on the battery and DU. If not, then I'll have to look elsewhere or buy a used low mileage car that still has that warranty.

Last edited:
Funny thing is right after the refresh I really wanted to get the new front end. But now 3 years later all the Model S I see around town (along with all the Model X) have the new front end and it’s gotten dull. The old nose cone cars have become almost rare and special.
I've always loved the old nose on my P85D, a feeling that has increased over time. Usually, having a pre-refresh or older model version of a car says "I have an old car". But as the refreshed nose becomes more and more of the fleet, having the old nose now says "I'm an early adopter. I'm smart enough to have gotten on the electric bandwagon before these other guys did. My car will be remembered as the model that proved electric cars are better cars. Down the road it will become a collectable because of its early-adopter scarcity. Someday a Model S will be part of the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in NY, just like the Jaguar E-type, a car that is similarly timelessly beautiful, and has a similar nose. The model S in MOMA will be one with the old nose."

So the new range / efficiency / top speed / charge rate / suspension / free ludicrous changes this thread quite dramatically. Almost to the point where I'd retract my last 2c and say if you can, why not! Can you keep your arachnids and just get 19" on the new car?

Alas, the LED spill pattern may be the deal breaker :)

Reactions: DanCar