Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Pano or not, red or titanium?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm seriously thinking about trading in my "old" S85 for a new P85D and I'm agonizing over a few options. I'm pretty sure I've decided against SAS (I have coils on my S85 and have had no problems with scraping or ride), but I can't decide if I should get the panoramic roof (I don't have it on my S85 and don't miss it). The reason for the pano is whatever interior I end up with (either Second Gen Seats in Grey or Tan) I will want the black Alcantara headliner (I think the white would not match the interior colors), but I'm afraid that without the pano roof the black could make the car too claustrophobic> Does anyone out there have a black headliner without the pano, and if so, how do you like it? My other conundrum is whether to go with the MC Red which I have on my current car and love it or if I should go with the more sedate, but elegant (I think) new Titanium Metallic (used to be Warm Silver) but it's really gold IMO. If I go with the red, the other change I might make is to change my current obeche matte and tan leather to gray leather with carbon fiber (since the P85D is more sporty). If I go with the Titanium, I'm thinking definitely tan interior with obeche matte. Any comments, particularly from folks who might have one of these combinations? I've decided on 21" wheels since we have pretty good roads here in the desert. But there, I'm wondering how the grey would look on the MC red (I have silver 19" cyclones currently) and/or on the Titanium. All comments welcome!

I'd go with the Red again and get T-Sportline 19' Grey Turbines. Although the new Titanium looks really hot with silver or grey 21's, that wouldn't be a bad combo if you want to switch up the color.

Grey interior would look greyt. I know a guy that has a 70D with black interior, black alcantara headliner and no pano roof and if you are sitting in the back (with the next gen seats) it feels real enclosed. And I think the Pano roof in general is a great purchase, the extra headroom and view from above is something you'd definitely appreciate, makes the driving experience even better, especially on a cool sunny day or driving at night.

In this thread, Lump posted pics of his red Model S with grey 19's, which if you want efficiency and looks, is the way to go.

T Sportline Pictures

attachment.php?attachmentid=48748&d=1399395570.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I'd wait until Model X is released. There may be an update to Autopilot (2.0 Hardware) as well as a few features that'll trickle down to Model S.

Also the prices on used P85Ds will just go lower and lower.

So you really can't lose much by waiting, X Design Studio is due to be released sometime this month.

Thanks, Mr. X! I like the look of the red & gray. Particular thanks about the black headliner + no pano. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I'd wait until Model X is released. There may be an update to Autopilot (2.0 Hardware) as well as a few features that'll trickle down to Model S.

Also the prices on used P85Ds will just go lower and lower.

So you really can't lose much by waiting, X Design Studio is due to be released sometime this month.

What rumors have you heard about new Autopilot hardware? If something new comes out I wouldn't want to miss it like I missed the autopilot hardware for my S85 by 2 weeks!

I rarely use the pano. Coming from a well designed convertible (Boxster) I hate all the weird buffeting noise that occurs when driving at speed with the pano open. Some times it feels like my brain is being sucked out of my ears. That said I still would stick with the pano.
Having a black car and knowing what is takes to keep it looking good I might suggest the ti over the red.

I'm prejudiced, but I like my MC Red with Grey Interior and Pano. The P85D is a special car, it deserves all the attention it receives in MC Red. Also, I deliberately chose the Grey interior to lighten up the color of the interior with the black headliner. Plus, Grey with the black trim helps to liven up the otherwise stark Model S interior with a semi two-tone look.

I had a white 60. When I ordered the 70d I was torn about the color because I really liked the way the white looked. However it also bugged me that I was getting a new car that doesn't look any different. I went with titanium and I do love it. It is definitely not gold. See other of my posts with side by side comparison. However when looking from my office window to the parking lot it just doesn't "pop" as my white did and your red does. It is elegant and rich looking nonetheless.
I have tan interior and selected white alcantara so it would not seem so dark inside. The white is really a cream that coordinates well with the tan interior. Never selected pano for same reasons af OP.

My opinion - hope it helps.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Thanks to everyone who gave their input, I really appreciate it! I think I've decided on my configuration (maybe):
MC Red (again) because as Bonlaw points out, it makes the car "pop" and really makes the beautiful lines of the car stand out
No pano (again) because I don't miss it now, and I really don't like the way it looks, too many cuts in the glass (for venting I guess), and I think it ruins the beautiful lines of the car
Coil suspension, because I don't need to raise my car, and I've never scraped the bottom on anything, and although I haven't driven a P85D without air, if it's at all comparable to my S85 with coils, the ride is excellent. In addition, some on this forum have pointed out the coils feel more connected to the car and the road, which a sports sedan should do.
Grey 2nd gen seats (far superior to the standard seats in my current car) with white alcantara headliner, because I'm afraid without the pano roof black would be claustrophobic. I was at the SC today, and saw a blue P85D with grey interior and white headliner and it looked very nice (with carbon fiber accents)
Speaking of grey, I'm going with 21" grey turbines, because I love the look (particularly with the grey interior) and I didn't notice a significant change in road noise or ride when test driving the P85D
UHF sound (again). I did an A/B test at the showroom, and the premium sound is much clearer and the bass is better IMO. I won't be able to get XM again as it now requires the pano, but I tested streaming it from my iPhone XM app, and it worked perfectly.
Premium Interior and Lighting: I'm only getting this for the power lift gate (which was not an option in my car -- great way for Tesla to make some extra $$ IMO, as I really don't see the need for the "ambient Lighting" or the fog lights, but can't live without the power lift gate)

That's it, for now. I welcome any comments on my current configuration...