TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

p85d power consumption Normal Vs Insane?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by RaceDeck, Jun 16, 2015.

1. RaceDeck

RaceDeck Member

Does anyone know if you are driving the same speeds if the P85D uses the same power consumption in regular Vs Insane? say highway cruising around 80mph ?

2. RAW84

RAW84 Member

I believe insane mode only refers to the acceleration, so you shouldn't see much of a difference cruising on a highway at 80, unless there's a bunch of speed changes involved.

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

Power consumption is the same in either mode provided you drive the same in both modes. Averaging about 300 wh / mile over my first 3500 miles. Always leave it in insane.

4. bp1000

bp1000 Member

I thought insane mode disabled range mode so if there is any power management by limiting climate and regen you might see higher consumption with insane? Most likely in colder climates during winter.

5. meltoots

meltoots Member

You can do Range Mode and Insane at same time. The only thing that insane mode seems to affect is acceleration, the rest...like normal driving, seems the same. In reality, Insane mode is great to show the drop dead acceleration for your first time Tesla passengers, but Sport mode gives you more than enough punch for everyday driving. I usually leave Sport / Range on, and go from there. But I have done Insane and Range a number of time, works fine, same range as far as I can tell. Not sure why I don't leave it in Insane all the time...though I am a proponent of doing a further Eco mode too, as I like to hypermile for fun.