Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D (pre/post April) ride performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have talked with Tesla extensively about the MS' suspension elements. I believe I even posted one of the responses regarding suspension adjustability wrt the air springs.

My conversations centered around getting more of an M5 suspension performance in the performance version of MS. My P+ was ok but I felt the need to change out the air springs for coil springs to remove that floaty feel. The car felt significantly more stable after the change to coils but this type of feel is not for everyone. My January PD is perfect for me without any need to change out the air springs for coils. I confirmed with Tesla that they did not change the air spring rate from the P+ to my version of the PD so the changes were damping and sway bars. There is significantly less head snatch in my PD when compared to my P+ thus the sway bars must be smaller in the PD. I found this a perfect change as I did not feel the MS has a roll issue and the small improvement in point in with the bigger front bar was not worth the degradation in ride quality.

Having all the suspensions apart changing springs allowed me the opportunity to put standard 85, P85 and P85+ dampers on a shock dyno. In short, there was near zero difference in the rear dampers with the only significant difference being the front P+ dampers being significantly stiffer in both bump and rebound. I have not put my January PD dampers on the dyno but would be willing to bet they are stiffer both front and rear than my P+s.

If Tesla has changed damper valving on the PD, I am VERY glad I got the exact car I have. My reference is the V8 M5 series and my PD compares favorably.

What is the diameter of your front sway bar? Mine is 28mm on my 3/31 P85D.

- - - Updated - - -

I also just checked my rear. Had to back it up on service ramps as I couldn't easily reach the roll bar.

Rear is 22mm paired with the front 28mm.

My PD is *considerably* stiffer/harsher than the P85+ loaner I had. Wish I'd check it while I had it.

The lowered coil suspension handles better than the performance plus suspension IMO. If I were to order a PD now, I woul get coils an have the car lowered 1.25". Cheaper and better.

Other coil virtues not withstanding, I think the choice of spring and damping rates sounds like the biggest factor going on. I haven’t seen other comments about the coil P85D, so perhaps I’m first in reporting they feel like the later spec. It doesn’t feel too firm, especially considering the 21’s. I was much more worried about too firm valving, to tame “691hp”. The turn-in of the 21’s, low cg, w/sways, and ball joints makes me a happy camper. A slalom, and then I'd want something more firm.

I’m lowered. Yes, “1.25” lower ring grooves are what deliver the Low SAS setting, but you only need about ½” lower, in front. Tesla doesn’t put the nose of the P85D coil cars so far into the sky. This has an important effect, as the car will go up in front if all you do is go down in back. The ½” mostly compensates for a net lowering, in my case, of 3/16".

Bilstein makes a great product, and it is possible they could develop an insert, to replace, or tailor, their "sport" and "heavy duty" lines into the Model S. The coil units, probably like the SAS units, are oil and gas pressurized dampers. In this case, I believe they sometimes can uncap them and slide new, smaller diameter, ones inside. They make this stuff. Call, and ask Home . That’s how it all starts.

Last edited:
So, I test drove a P85D at a local event. My SOLE reason for going was to drive a car w/21" rims in an attempt to gauge the ride quality and tire noise level as I am considering a CPO P85+ - I figured the current P85D would be the closest way to find out (note like I can go test a new P85+). In retrospect, I should have tried to determine the build date, etc. Is there any easy way to tell which version I drove (i.e. original vs. revised suspension)? I'm willing to actually drive back up there today or tomorrow to eyeball something on the car.

I can't answer your question, but I do have a suggestion: make a note of the tires, not just the wheels. I've seen some huge differences in terms of noise and efficiency across various tires. Tire rack has metrics for noise and some data for efficiency.

IMAG1283[1].jpg

I really wish I had snapped a pic of the tires (and with a non crappy camera!)...These look a bit like the Conti's (SPortContact) based on what I see on the sidewall markers (still just a guess). Were all the "pre-April" P85D's with 21s on STAGGERED 21s (i.e. is that a way to visually eyeball pre and post April cars).

Confirmed today by Tesla employee that performance suspension has been discontinued since may.

Not that I was going to upgrade to the P85D, but I certainly wouldn't upgrade now. You need a sport suspension to handle all of that power, don't you? The P85+ is amazingly tight and nimble. If the P85D doesn't feel at least as light and accurate as the P85+, why bother?

I really should stop by the local SC and drive the newer, plushy PD :)

I would be curious to here your comparison. My Dad's Dec 2014 car and my June car ride different. Our cars are almost the same with the exception of the interior trim and rear poser spoiler :smile:

His car rides a little firmer and handles a little better on our local hill test road. Mine rides noticeably smoother. I thought it was mental but two non people commented about mine being quieter (I translated it into smoother).

Can somebody with POST April performance install visible tesla and report if it shows + upgrade ? Would be very interesting to see as a final prove that it was completely removed. Here is my January P85D:

Performance Options: [
Performance: true
Performance+: true
P85D: true
Performance Exterior: true
Performance Powertrain: true
]

Can somebody with POST April performance install visible tesla and report if it shows + upgrade ? Would be very interesting to see as a final prove that it was completely removed. Here is my January P85D:

]

Just as an FYI, my car has dual chargers and VT says it doesn't. I wouldn't take what VT says as gospel.

• Disagree
Reactions: HyperMiler
]

Here is mine from mid-June, I can confirm that it does not have the "+" suspension, as I have driven a P85+ recently... And for the record I also have dual chargers..

options: [
Region: United States
Year: 2015
Trim: Standard Production Trim
Drive Side: Left Hand
Dual Motor: true
]
Battery: 85kWh
Color: Steel Grey
Roof: Panoramic
Wheels: Super 21" Gray
Seats: Unknown
Decor: Carbon Fiber
Extended Nappa Leather Time: true
Air Suspension: true
Tech Upgrades: [
Tech Package: true
Power Liftgate: true
Premium Lighting: true
HomeLink: true
Navigation: true
]
Audio: [
Upgraded: true
Sat Radio: true
]
Charging: [
Supercharger: true
Twin Chargers: false
HPWC: false
]
Options: [
Parcel Shelf: true
Paint Armor: false
Third Row Seating: false
]
Newer Options: [
Parking Sensors: false
Lighting Package: true
Security Package: false
Fog Lamps: true
Cold Weather Package: false
]
]
Firmware Version: 2.5.21
Remote Start Enabled: true
Calendar Enabled: true
Notifications Enabled: true
--------------------------------------------

Just rise the car to very high and look at the front dampers. If part number is 1030608-01-A it does have the stiffer performance suspension. If part numbers is 1030608-00-C its the same as 70D and 85D.

The other parts like bushing,sway bar ++ is the same on all dual motor models. Only front and rear air spring modules (shocks) looks to be different on P85D build before and after 30 april.

Curious what happens with a single front damper unit (spring or damper as they are considered an assembly) fails when it is first generation sport suspension. Do you think Tesla is going to stock the previous now out of production units to keep the few PDs that got the sport suspension intact?

Can somebody with POST April performance install visible tesla and report if it shows + upgrade ?

Just as an FYI, my car has dual chargers and VT says it doesn't. I wouldn't take what VT says as gospel.

Here is mine from mid-June, I can confirm that it does not have the "+" suspension, as I have driven a P85+ recently... And for the record I also have dual chargers..

To add some clarity here.

VisibleTesla tries to display options based on reality. But that's entirely dependent on us knowing what the proper option codes are and unfortunately Tesla uses their option codes in weird ways that become increasingly harder to know how to interpret without inside information. If it's wrong and people aren't reporting that it's pretty much guaranteed it'll never get fixed. So if you have something wrong report it.

As to the question here. That Performance+ line is determined by this bit of code

Code:
    public boolean isPerfPlus() { return hasOption("PX") || wheelType() == WheelType.WTSG; }

The hasOption("PX") will be true if you have an option code that begins with "PX" and does not end in "00" (Tesla's way of saying this option isn't on the car). But because some actual P+ cars didn't have that it's also looking if you have the WTSG option code (that's probably a very questionable test since wheels are not limited to the P+ vehicles anymore). If either of those conditions are true it's going to show "Performance+: true".

For the purposes of comparison on this thread I'd suggest posting the option codes themselves which is located in the same place you're finding the above list but under "Low level information:" all the way at the bottom.

For the purposes of comparison on this thread I'd suggest posting the option codes themselves which is located in the same place you're finding the above list but under "Low level information:" all the way at the bottom.

Sure..

MS04,RENA,AU01,BC0R,BS00,CDM0,CH00,PMNG,CW00,DA02,DCF0,DRLH,DSH7,DV4W,FG02,HP00,IDCF,IX01,LP01,ME02,P85D,PA00,PF01,PI01,PK00,PS01,PX00,QNEB,RFPO,SC01,SP00,SR01,SU01,TM00,TP03,TR00,UTAB,WTSP,WTX0,X001,X003,X007,X011,X013,X019,X024,X027,X028,X031,X037,X040,YF00,COUS