Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$82,500
Used Inventory | Tesla

$71,500
Used Inventory | Tesla

$74,000
85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H23EFP66007 | Tesla

Roughly the same mileage, year, and options. Can anyone tell why the big difference on price? Seems like there are a lot of available P85Ds around as CPOs.

Welcome to the "looking to buy a P85D club!" I have been pouring over the forums for nearly year and keep a very close eye on the CPO inventory, eBay, and cars.com. The present CPO P85D inventory pricing makes little sense so if you are looking to buy one be very careful what you buy so you don't overpay. The pricing they set sometimes has little relevance to what the market will pay. The price difference might have something to do with what they bought back the car for -- not necessarily how much it is worth now. They are actually trying to sell a 2014 P85D for $90K :)

85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H21EFP63283 | Tesla

A bunch of the other P85D listings are also overpriced and they have been for sale for months with no one buying them. Reminds me of the P85+ inventory a long time ago where they had dozens of inventory cars priced so high no one bought them and then all of a sudden they were available at a price the market would pay and this is likely what will happen to the P85D inventory.

Over the weekend, I missed a P85D that came on the market for $54,500 so reasonably priced options are out there. There are still several available for the 60s. Good luck with your search! If you find one in the 50s or early to mid 60s, save it for me. :p

ROTFLMFAO $90,100 for a P85D!? What on earth is going on with the CPO index? Why would anyone drop $90k on a 4 year old car when a brand new one with more capabilities and roughly the same performance is way less?

It's almost like they don't want to sell the cars for some reason. Kind of like a contractor who overestimates a job just to avoid it but if the idiot wants to pay then sure why not.

Reactions: Electricious
ROTFLMFAO $90,100 for a P85D!? What on earth is going on with the CPO index? Why would anyone drop $90k on a 4 year old car when a brand new one with more capabilities and roughly the same performance is way less?

It's almost like they don't want to sell the cars for some reason. Kind of like a contractor who overestimates a job just to avoid it but if the idiot wants to pay then sure why not.

Yup. Exactly :)

Now is not a good time to buy a CPO car as a good part of the inventory is overpriced by a wide margin.

Welcome to the "looking to buy a P85D club!"...
...Over the weekend, I missed a P85D that came on the market for $54,500 so reasonably priced options are out there. There are still several available for the 60s. Good luck with your search! If you find one in the 50s or early to mid 60s, save it for me. :p

Are you able to set notifications/email alerts when something that meets your criteria is posted on these tesla for sale specialty sites?

Welcome to the "looking to buy a P85D club!" I have been pouring over the forums for nearly year and keep a very close eye on the CPO inventory, eBay, and cars.com. The present CPO P85D inventory pricing makes little sense so if you are looking to buy one be very careful what you buy so you don't overpay. The pricing they set sometimes has little relevance to what the market will pay. The price difference might have something to do with what they bought back the car for -- not necessarily how much it is worth now. They are actually trying to sell a 2014 P85D for $90K :)

A bunch of the other P85D listings are also overpriced and they have been for sale for months with no one buying them. Reminds me of the P85+ inventory a long time ago where they had dozens of inventory cars priced so high no one bought them and then all of a sudden they were available at a price the market would pay and this is likely what will happen to the P85D inventory.

Over the weekend, I missed a P85D that came on the market for $54,500 so reasonably priced options are out there. There are still several available for the 60s. Good luck with your search! If you find one in the 50s or early to mid 60s, save it for me. :p

Was that on Teslas site the one for $54,500 came up? I'm also looking for a P85D but wont be buying until later this year. Still in my researching phase to make sure a Tesla is right for me.

Wow, thanks for the info. That makes more sense.

Was that on Teslas site the one for $54,500 came up? I'm also looking for a P85D but wont be buying until later this year. Still in my researching phase to make sure a Tesla is right for me.

This was on cars.com. They aggregate private party and dealer listings.I actually saw a P85D on cars.com with 28,000 miles last night for $50K and this morning it is already sold. There is still one P85D available for $61K:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/726595940/overview/

This illustrates a risk of buying from a dealership that doesn't know Teslas. Who knows how long they are letting the battery sit near empty.

Personally I would say the risk involved with buying from a dealership is most of those cars are CPO trade ins rejected by Tesla. If after initial inspection Tesla determines the vehicle not suitable for CPO the car is auctioned off. Used car dealers typically pick them up expecting a quick high profit margin turn around or at the very least the owner gets to play around in a Tesla for a while.

Personally I would say the risk involved with buying from a dealership is most of those cars are CPO trade ins rejected by Tesla. If after initial inspection Tesla determines the vehicle not suitable for CPO the car is auctioned off. Used car dealers typically pick them up expecting a quick high profit margin turn around or at the very least the owner gets to play around in a Tesla for a while.

Not always, I can’t help with US stock, but UK stock has often been available for a long time by Tesla before they have a clear out. I tried to buy my car from Tesla only to be offered a low part ex and told I couldn’t see the car until after I’d bought it so I walked away. A month later I saw the same spec car at an Indy, on seeing it it had the same vin, the dealer told me Tesla sold him batches of 5 cars, it was £10k cheaper than Tesla we’re asking, and it’s been fine.

Any cars on large company car schemes or traded in for another make could end up at an Indy, and given Teslas low part ex on their own cars, many sell privately too. There are plenty of reasons why cars end up for sale outside Tesla..

Reactions: Electricious