Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Production Complete. Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery. Pay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, it's there!

So I got a few options to pay, apparently I can:
1) go to the Fremont factory for pickup with a cashier's check in hand
2) pay with wire transfer
3) pay with ACH (some kind "secure" financial transaction - like a check - online)

I'd like to do #2 or #3 because it saves me from having to go to the bank, and I like doing things electronically (no need to kill trees and manpower), but I wonder whether that puts me in a position of weakness at the time of delivery, i.e. not being able to refuse the car for whatever reason.

I realize it's extremely unlikely I'd want to hold back on the full amount, but I read some posts about people getting MS delivered with scratches or curb rash, etc. If I give them the full amount before my pick up, am I losing all my leverage?

Does it matter at all?

Any pros/cons about the 3 options above?

Also, for some reason, the paperwork says "Mileage: 50" - what do they do for 50 miles? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

-- Greg

Finally, it's there!

So I got a few options to pay, apparently I can:
1) go to the Fremont factory for pickup with a cashier's check in hand
2) pay with wire transfer
3) pay with ACH (some kind "secure" financial transaction - like a check - online)

I'd like to do #2 or #3 because it saves me from having to go to the bank, and I like doing things electronically (no need to kill trees and manpower), but I wonder whether that puts me in a position of weakness at the time of delivery, i.e. not being able to refuse the car for whatever reason.

I realize it's extremely unlikely I'd want to hold back on the full amount, but I read some posts about people getting MS delivered with scratches or curb rash, etc. If I give them the full amount before my pick up, am I losing all my leverage?

Does it matter at all?

Any pros/cons about the 3 options above?

Also, for some reason, the paperwork says "Mileage: 50" - what do they do for 50 miles? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

-- Greg
I don't think anyone has ever had a problem with A Tesla delivery where holding back money would have helped. For some of us, I have to have paid the money prior to it being Delivered to my house. If I have problems I will take note when I recieve it and presumably they will address as required from there.
I just did a wire transfer though I went into the bank to do it as I wasn't sure if I could move that mount of money through online mechanisms - typically hat has been problematic. My paperwork says 100 Kms which is about 60 miles. They just put a number in that covers the most possible mileage that could be on the car. I can't remember what was on my first car but it was definitely less than 100kms.

P85D Production Complete. Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delive...

Congrats! As others have said, I think paying ahead is low risk. Save yourself the wire transfer fees and use ACH.

I don't see your car listed on the P85D tracking spreadsheet. When did your car go into production?

Very nice, congrats!! When did you go into production?

I concur with others, paying via ACH is definitely the easiest and most cost-effective solution. I have no prior experience with deliveries but am fairly confident pre-paying won't be an issue.

So when is your delivery scheduled for exactly?

Very nice, congrats!! When did you go into production?

I concur with others, paying via ACH is definitely the easiest and most cost-effective solution. I have no prior experience with deliveries but am fairly confident pre-paying won't be an issue.

So when is your delivery scheduled for exactly?

Went into production 11/24. I have my appointment to pick it up in Fremont on 12/5.
Apparently it's ready already - maybe I'll be able to pick it up even earlier this coming week. Who knows. That would be fun!

-- Greg

Went into production 11/24. I have my appointment to pick it up in Fremont on 12/5.
Apparently it's ready already - maybe I'll be able to pick it up even earlier this coming week. Who knows. That would be fun!

-- Greg

Yeah they tend to do that with delivery appointments, meaning scheduling them later to set low expectations.
Mine went into production the day after yours and my DS said he'd scheduled me for December 10th. I'm guess it'll be ready by the 5th or 6th at the latest!

Last edited:
You won't be able to even check out your car without prepayment. I am certain that if there are any issues after that, Tesla will rectify the situation promptly. Withholding money from them will just delay your delivery date.

You can bring a cashier's check on the day of the delivery. It won't push it out.
I don't know that I would call that withholding money: giving the money when you get the goods has been a common exchange pattern for quite some time now. It's not extraordinary IMHO.

-- Greg

You can bring a cashier's check on the day of the delivery. It won't push it out.
I don't know that I would call that withholding money: giving the money when you get the goods has been a common exchange pattern for quite some time now. It's not extraordinary IMHO.

-- Greg

In most states. In the states where Tesla cannot sell cars, the car must be paid in full prior to delivery.

-- Greg

Greg, any update today on when's the earliest you'll be able to pick up your shiny new P85D? I'm also planning on picking mine up at the factory, so curious to know how long it takes for the SC to prep it for delivery.

This is not really very relevant, since I took factory deliver back in early 2013, but they were super laid back about payment. I had my bank mail them a check for the bulk of the amount in advance, and I was going to pay the rest with a personal check. (Due to the accounts where the money was, this was just the most expedient way to do it.)

The DS had no idea I had mailed the check. He took my word for it, I wrote a check for the remainder, and they let me take the car.