Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Range Records

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More than 74 kWh is available. The system will shut down the drive unit when the battery reaches it's anti bricking limit of 3.9 kWh left. Before that, you'll be in the 5.1 kWh zero mile buffer. So in theory, you should be able to hit 76 kWh before it says 0 miles but then you should be able to go another 17 rated miles before the drive unit dies.

This is true, though measuring energy use and available energy in a battery is an imperfect science and so you can't always count on having another 17 miles of range after it says 0 miles on the dash.

Once the first battery module in the pack reports dropping below the bricking limit voltage you're done. Could be another 17 miles, could be 1.

- - - Updated - - -

.Also, this day was very neutral for wind, light and variable. My new favorite wind and weather web page is Windyty; it won't run on the MS Browser, but runs great on an iPhone.

That site is _amazing_. Goodbye AccuWeather, hello Windyty.

More than 74 kWh is available. The system will shut down the drive unit when the battery reaches it's anti bricking limit of 3.9 kWh left. Before that, you'll be in the 5.1 kWh zero mile buffer. So in theory, you should be able to hit 76 kWh before it says 0 miles but then you should be able to go another 17 rated miles before the drive unit dies.

Yeah, I read this on the forums before. Ended up stranded 2 miles from the supercharger. I didn't slow down, telling my frantic wife "don't worry zero doesn't mean zero". Two hours for a tow. Sometimes zero really does mean zero. Don't risk it!

Cottonwood used only 71kWh and is down to 12 miles left. so at .237 kWh/mile that is another 3 kWh, or 74kWh usable capacity in total before the car is dead.

It's also possible he started with less than 85kWh in the pack. He said he left with 99%, but we don't know how many kWh that translates to.

Even so, there are examples of getting more out of a pack. I myself once used 77.9kWh on one charge (link), and Dave Metcalf used 80.4kWh (no source handy) when he drove 423.5mi.

Yeah, I read this on the forums before. Ended up stranded 2 miles from the supercharger. I didn't slow down, telling my frantic wife "don't worry zero doesn't mean zero". Two hours for a tow. Sometimes zero really does mean zero. Don't risk it!

Same here. My car shut itself down with 7 rated miles (11 projected) remaining. I assume that was an extreme case (very cold and snowy), but now I don't plan on anything below 10. Some people have reported being able to drive a dozen or more miles beyond zero, others have had the opposite experience.

It's also possible he started with less than 85kWh in the pack. He said he left with 99%, but we don't know how many kWh that translates to.

Even so, there are examples of getting more out of a pack. I myself once used 77.9kWh on one charge (link), and Dave Metcalf used 80.4kWh (no source handy) when he drove 423.5mi.

If you take my "74kWh usable capacity" and assume the 1% was about 1 kWh or a little less, then that is about 75 kWh. That seems to be the ball park of not going into the "risky" zone.

Same here. My car shut itself down with 7 rated miles (11 projected) remaining. I assume that was an extreme case (very cold and snowy), but now I don't plan on anything below 10. Some people have reported being able to drive a dozen or more miles beyond zero, others have had the opposite experience.

That is why I got to a charging station at 12 rated miles remaining...

Yesterday..

8087e5660f28330e7a52a9ccaabc1646.jpg

Mishawaka, IN to Highland Park, IL. When I left Mishawaka the car thought I'd arrive with 1% (not a full charge- I charged to 50-60%). Over the course of the trip I got that up to 5%. Living dangerously. :) Changed my tires to Pirelli Cinturato P7+ shortly before I began my current road trip from DC. I'm seeing significant increases in efficiency compared to the Bridgestone Potenza s04's. The s04's are summer performance tires. The cinturato's are all season grand touring with low rolling resistance.