Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Review after 2,000 Miles...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did an initial assessment of my P85D here: Tracking P85D delivery thread - Page 317 on 12/21. Now that I've had it for a couple of months, I thought I would share my feedback for those who want a more educated assessment of the P85D.

For reference, the P85D was my 2nd Tesla Model S. My first was an early model S85 delivered in March of 2013. I sold the S85 just before buying the P85D. The key summary after 2 months and 2k miles of ownership is that I'm very happy with the purchase and I definitely would have regretted not doing it. While I had some original concerns with the car, Tesla has made up for it with software updates and the car is now definitively better than what it was than I bought it, and most definitely better than my S85. Finally, Tesla has gotten much better in initial quality.

More detail...

So, in my initial assessment, I had the following thoughts on the P85D:

My initial takeaway on the car is that many things are much improved:
- parking sensors and folding mirrors are small but awesome changes
- the new black headliner looks slick! I have the grey interior and it is a nice contrast. This is a really nice upgrade
- the new high res screen on the dash is so much better than the old. everything looks much more crisp
- the new UHF Stereo with Subwoofer is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the old sound system.
- the car overall is much quieter
- the new charge port is so much better - I used to get out of my car all the time at work and forget to unlock my charging port. Never again!
- the interior lights are a much warmer color now. No longer a very soft, very white light
- Love the (T)esla embossed in the trunk floor

When I picked up my first Model-S, I had a bunch of factory re-work I had to get done. I had problems with the sunroof, the trim, door handles, and a broken window. Some of those things broke within the first 3 mos. Some of them I saw day 1. This car seemed pretty flawless.

Now for a few disappointments:
- the car still uses 3G - not surprised about this. I think that AT&T must have great bulk rates for this spectrum
- I did not get the premium interior package, and did not realize that this is the ONLY way to get ambient lights. for my first S, these were standard. I really miss this feature and though it is small, I'm really sad not to have these anymore.
- the frunk is way smaller. Still usable, but if you are using the rear seats, you're not carrying luggage in the car anymore.

Ok, but this is a P85D, what about all the new features? Mostly good, but there are some mixed feelings here.
- First off, the car looks great! I know this isn't P85D specific, but I love the new grey color, and the grey wheels with the red calipers look great with it!!
- The speed limit sign reading actually works really well. I don't think it missed a single sign both on the freeway and on residential streets. It also then adjusts the speedometer so that any speed > than the limit shows up as grey rather than the standard blue. It's pretty slick and is a nice sign of things to come with autopilot.
- The lane assist is so well integrated, that I did not realize that it was working. I thought I was running over rough road when I was drifting too far. But you get 3 rumbles as you drive to the edge of the lane. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but I think that's because it won't go off more than once every 15 seconds or so. Still, seemed to work.
- Acceleration - ok, maybe my expectations were set too high, but I did not find the acceleration insane. Fast yes, but not crazy. It seemed the same as driving a P85 to me. Now, MAYBE this is because my battery was delivered almost empty and I didn't see the power output get to 480kw. I'll try again tomorrow once I have a full charge. But, my initial feedback was - this is nice, but not insane
- Range - is definitely NEGATIVELY affected. Driving home from the factory, I would normally get 320Wh/mile or better driving at 65mph. I was closer to 400Wh/mile overall, and 350Wh/mile with cruise control. I'm believing the EPA numbers, and feeling that Tesla made a huge error in claiming that the D would get better range. I'll test this more over the next couple of days, but so far, I'm expecting my range has gone down quite a bit, even on the freeway.
- Regen braking - it does seem that you can go beyond 60Kw of regen, but hard to see how much more (70kw?). the braking feels a bit more than the standard S, but not too much so - it is generally not noticeable.

Now here are the things I would add:
- Range is no longer an issue
- Initial quality has proven significantly better than my earlier S85
- Acceleration really is pretty bad-ass
- Autopilot features have just made the car better

Let's start with the BIG update - Range. My original gripe with the P85D was that the range SUCKED. It was HORRIBLE. I averaged 348 Wh/m in my S85 and was VERY disappointed by the P85D where I was averaging 400 Wh/m in my initial assessment. I read the JB blog post which stated that my 21" wheels would add an additional 3% (ok) and that fresh tires would add an additional 5%. As I got to my first 1000 miles I was very disappointed to see that my range got NO better, and in fact seemed to be much worse. This was more than just range anxiety for me. I travel to St Helena from Los Altos, quite frequently, and the trip is just on the range of my S85. The range of the P85D would not make the trip. Neither would it work well for a trip to Monterey and forget about trying to make a go at Tahoe.

Then came .139 and all of a sudden things changed - dramatically. I reset one of my trip counters after the upgrade. At the time my lifetime Wh/m was at 398. Long story short, since .139, I have averaged 355 Wh/m which considering the 3% penalty from my 21" tires would put me in better range than my S85. I've been pretty happy with this. Now the difference is much more pronounced on freeway and slower/steady driving than in city/aggressive driving. But we didn't buy the P85D to drive ms daisy did we. The point is that if you drive conservatively, you can get decent range out of this car. On declines it seems to provide better range than the S85, and below 65mph I have seen efficiency ratings as low as 250 Wh/m which I NEVER saw with my S85. All in all, I'm no longer paying a range penalty to drive the car (that said the range isn't better than my S85 which I had expected when the D was announced). More importantly - I've made a few 200 mile + trips with plenty of range to spare, and I could do so driving at 75mph - not driving like a grandma in my super fast sports car, just so I could make the range.

Now, let's talk about initial quality. In the first 3 months of owning my S85, I had to take the car in for service five different times. Most of this was manufacturing defects (one time for weather stripping with the sunroof, one time for a trim issue, one time for problems with the TPMS sensors, one time for problems with door rattles, and once because the rear window just broke). Since buying my P85D, I have had no need for service. Now, in fairness, my S85 was one of the first 5k ever made, and therefore lots of manufacturing kinks to be worked out, but they have definitely done so. It is also true that there are little annoyances that I have had with rattles and wind noise with my P85D which I would like to get fixed, but they are not significant enough to want to go in for service. But the car is in much better shape than my S85 was. Wind noise is one of the biggest differences. My S85 made a loud noise from the sunroof above 70mph. My P85D is silent. Moreover, it has stayed solid through the first 2,000 miles of driving.

Acceleration: I originally complained that the P85D's acceleration wasn't "insane" enough. I can say with confidence that the acceleration hasn't changed. However, I have found that if I ever get into another car, I MISS the acceleration of my P85D SOOOO much. and this was not the case with my S85 - I just noticed it. The fact of the matter is that I just love the fact that my car is faster than anything else on the road, and no matter what kind of jerk tries to out accelerate me off the line, I will dust them without even thinking about it. Happy customer.

Autopilot: along with the range updates, this is the part where Tesla does what Tesla does best - make the car better with software updates. When I picked up the car, it had no traffic aware cruise control. Now it does. It had no lane departure warning, now it does. It had no collision warning, now it does. It had no auto brights - now it does. Maps are better, slacker is better, the car is better. Now some of this would have also been true with My S85, but because of the new hardware, it is more pronounced with the P85D. And, more is to come.

While some of it might be stockholm syndrome, I've become really satisfied with my P85D purchase and I'm really glad that I did it. What is even cooler is that I still haven't received the new seats, and there are software updates coming that will improve the top end and the acceleration of the car. This is the kind of stuff that made me a VERY satisfied S85 customer and I'm glad to share that my P85D experience has been just the same.

I'm not a fan boy - I will rip Tesla for where they make a crappy product, but the P85D - with the software updates - was a good buy for me.

Hope this helps you if you're trying to figure out what to buy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates! I'm glad to hear your range issue got better! I'm also glad to see Tesla improve in terms of build quality. I'm sure they've learned a lot from the thousands of early adopters that bought the car. And you are probably the first person I've met who doesn't think the acceleration is "insane" enough! When I test drove it, I didn't have the crazy reaction as many people on YouTube did, but even I was very very impressed. It was more than enough to put a smile on my face and get my heart racing! I can't wait for mine to be delivered!!

I was both a passenger and a test driver of the P85D. All I can say is that the acceleration is far more "insane" as the passenger. As the driver, my Roadster feels faster because it's lower and stiffer. As the passenger, the P85D literally made me lose my mind for a few seconds.

- the new high res screen on the dash is so much better than the old

Well Done 2K review! Can you elaborate on the T embossing in the trunk area? First I have heard of this. Also about when did the 17" center screen feature a higher resolution? Did the high res appear at the same time as the P85D launch or earlier?
Thanks

tcampos is referring to the instrument panel which increased in resolution somewhere in mid 2014 - New-Higher-resolution-Instrument-Panel-Display

And I think the "T embossing" is a trick the service centres are now doing with a vacuum cleaner and a template :D Carpet-Art-from-Service-Center

boot.jpg

Well Done 2K review! Can you elaborate on the T embossing in the trunk area? First I have heard of this. Also about when did the 17" center screen feature a higher resolution? Did the high res appear at the same time as the P85D launch or earlier?
Thanks

I'm referring to the dashboard, not the 17" center screen. This is not specific to the P85D, but rather added sometime after the initial models.

As for the T embossing, here's a picture. MDK says that this is a vacuum trick, it could be. On my floor mat it is still there though does seem less pronounced - The pattern looks like it is in the threading, but perhaps it is something that the done after the fact by delivery services.

FullSizeRender.jpg

As for the T embossing, here's a picture. MDK says that this is a vacuum trick, it could be. On my floor mat it is still there though does seem less pronounced - The pattern looks like it is in the threading, but perhaps it is something that the done after the fact by delivery services.

It can also be done with a brush. Brush or vacuum the carpet one way, lay the template down and go the other way. Voilà pattern on the carpet.