TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85D ride quality with 19" wheels?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by xy46, Nov 10, 2014.

1. xy46

xy46 Member

I understand that the P85D comes with the same sports tuned suspension that was in the original P85+. From reading the forums, it seems that the P85+ transmitted more road irregularities to the passenger compartment compared to the S85. Is this more a function of the 21" wheels or the performance sports suspension on the P85+? I really like the ride quality of the S85 when I test drove it, and I am now struggling to decide between the ordering the 85D or the P85D with 19" wheels. How different is the ride quality going to be from a comfort standpoint between the two if I put 19" wheels on the P85D?

2. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

#2 ArtInCT, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    This is going to be a hard estimate. As you know the P85D has the Next Gen seats. They may tend to minimize some road feel.
    I have a Shelby Cobra 427 S/C (Semi-Comp) ERA replica. It was built with the firm bushings, SPAX shocks (4 in rear and 2 up front coil overs) and oversized tie-rods.
    On a smooth road it feels just like a normal suspension ERA. However if you get into pavement with micro cracks, divots, and such,
    you feel each and every one of them on my car, however they are muted quite a bit on normal suspension ERAs.
    If you go around a corner with cracks and divits you really are aware of them and this is called "FEEL" you know exactly what the contact patches on
    the tires are doing. You can get neck twitch. It is something that you learn to really like on the Cobra. I can feel twigs and cigarette butts (cannot tell which brand though Haaa!) The model S is not so visceral and tight a car as the Cobra.
    The massive weight of the S mutes things, the Cobra being about 1900 pounds and 430 HP to the rear wheels.

The P85D recommended wheels which are a D +2" 21 inch wheel and tire fitment have 2 inches less sidewall rubber. You can expect them to ride harder and firmer than the 19" tires and wheels especially in turns as the tires will offer little to no lateral "give" or sway.

So my guess would be.... the 19" wheels and the Next Gen seats may somewhat soften up the ride a bit. In addition, the added weight of the front
    drive assembly will change the front to rear weight ratio a bit. Time will tell... I cannot wait to hear what the early P85D owners' feedbacks are.
    I plan on ordering one in about a year.

What shocks did you order? Coils or Air?

3. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

since this is related ride quality... im serioulsy considering the 15k upgrade from the future 85d order to the p85d. im not really interesting in the sports car handeling as i am the pistol shot acceleration. i have a race car i can get my cornering fix out of.

that being said the air suspension not only adds the abilty to raise in my horrible entry angle driveway, but it should make the car ride nice an cushy? or will it be vauge and disconnected?

then air and 19" wheels...

4. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

#4 ArtInCT, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    jerjozwik:

Like you, I feel the air shocks and their ability to raise the S in certain locals is a really nice feature. I am told the S remembers when it was raised via the GPS and will repeat that each time it revisits the location and you are traveling under a certain speed rate. I also hear the S will "BEEP" at you if it cannot raise the car due to your speed, I hear complaints about this. Owners do not want the BEEP as it alarms them. I wonder if the sensor package would in effect "see" an obstruction and try to raise the S up as part of the autonomous driving functions?

Sadly, I have only driven an S which had the air suspension and am not versed at all as to how the non air coil suspension works and feels.

Here in the Northeast, where potholes are grown and nurtured for 5 months of the year (most times the patches are not so swell either), the 19" wheels for Winter are essential with 21's in the summer.

5. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

I don't think you can compare suspensions without controlling for wheel size. Aspect ratios, sidewalls and tire pressure do a lot to "suspend" the car. Personally, I don't like the 45 pounds my SC puts into the Primacy's, either. The threads comparing air vs. coil have batted this around a lot, and may be worth a search.

6. simonog

simonog Member

I have a P85+ on air and 21" wheels and very much like the ride. It holds the car remarkably level under powered cornering even when in a drift, and the ride is firm. Passengers who in other cars suffer have never complained about feeling car sickness in the MS, and the handling is very responsive. While I love my (Morgan) race car, the MS is as well planted on the road as any road car I have driven.

7. deku

deku Member

I have the same situation as you did, basically struggle every option Tesla offered, 85, 85D, air suspension? coil over? 19? 21? End up with P85D, 21" rim with coil over. One of the reason was the service told me warranty on 19" rim covers aftermarket rims only if that is also 19" and so on so forth for 21. My original thought was order the stock 19", sell the 19" and go for aftermarket 22" with 245/30 R22 and 285/30 R22. Due to warranty reasons, I prefer the look of the larger rim. Roads in Hong Kong are top notch in the world, almost no chance to hit a pot hole at all so I don't worry about the rims would bend or tire blown.

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

There are a number of posts on this topic that should give you a good idea comparing the P85+ and a coil P85. I drove both back-to-back and indeed found the air suspension provided little feedback and felt disconnected. That said, it didn't seem to have a noticeable negative impact to performance. It was mostly an impact to driver confidence, I think, as it becomes a bit more difficult to feel imperfections in the road. I had been daily-driving my track-prepped Evo, felt feel was important, and opted for coils on a P85. You could also check out lolachampcar's posts on the matter, which are very interesting.

So the decision is personal. Do you need to raise/lower the suspension on your typical drives? Get the air. Want a cushy ride? Air. Want better steering feel? Coil. And so forth. Air is certainly the safe choice, especially if you have a giant driveway curb. In a year I've never wished I could raise mine, even with a pretty big curb, but the day might come.

9. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

honestly i was not sure what to search on and thought this thread was generally the same subject. anyhow ive gotten over my "i must feel everything the car is doing" phase and now just... basically want a comfy car to do commuting / distance driving. sounds like there is no reason for me to change from the 19" air setup i have been considering.