Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D service loaner with sunroof!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
23 MYP in service and was given S P85D for the weekend. I’m guessing this is a 2016 model.

It’s been really fun to check out..!!

The interior is dreadful, aside from the beautiful screens. Drivers screen is very nice. The car’s ride is superb, wonderful even compared to my Y. And, this thing is faster than the Y! Unbelievable power! But, best of all, it has a sunroof! Of course, I can’t use it as it is freezing still in MN. It’s really too bad the don’t offer a sunroof any longer.

If this S is this good, I imagine the new S and X must be wonderful. Kinda having buyers remorse right now…. 😩

My 2019 S 100D is a bit of a unicorn as it has both the sunroof and rear facing seats (both options that were removed in 2018). I do like the fact that I have the sunroof but to be honest, in the four years I have owned the car, I have probably only used it like 2-3 times.

I often forget y'all don't have the moon roof in the new cars. In all the years I've had mine I've only used it a few times.

I more often use it to add cargo from the top when there is no room to add stuff from the doors. Although now that I'm retired I don't do that kind of thing anymore so it'll go back to not being used.

Glad you enjoyed the S! I love the sunroof on my 2012 vintage P90 and use it a lot. I was reading Tesla discontinued it because their telematics revealed people were not using it 🤔
I love my sunroof, I use it whenever I can, especially on a nice day when charging at a Supercharger 😈

I think they really discontinued it because it is a warranty claims nightmare. It's by far the most moving parts in a single component for 1 action in a Tesla. The Cybertruck rolling bed cover might be a close second but they've had years to improve upon a similar design.

"The best part is no part" so they removed the sunroof and have no plans to ever bring it back.

I bought my S with a broken sunroof - actually BOTH pieces of the glass roof were cracked by the same impact, likely an angry girlfriend with a 9 iron at some point in the car's previous life.

The idiots at the service center tried charging me for THREE pieces of sunroof glass, and charging me for the part and installation of the first generation trim... AND the parts and installation of the second version as well. When confronted with this, after discovering a massive leak that they had caused... They parked it OUTSIDE IN A TROPICAL STORM and tried to get me to pay to have the sunroof fixed AGAIN after their failed installation.

This was my introduction to Tesla service. The experience with them has not improved much since. After feeling like my head was going to catch fire from the sun and glare coming through that thing, I covered it with an insulated shield and have never looked back. The enjoyment of a panoramic glass roof wears off REALLY fast when it leaks like a sieve or turns your car into a portable greenhouse.

Yeah I keep thinking about covering my pano with one of the Tesla or 3rd party options. But just can’t commit.

I did see there are now more finished options that install a trim and rail that allow you to slide it open or closed or any option in between; instead of the install and leave as is options. Unfortunately it’s quite expensive for what it is.