Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D sighting / test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with many of us still waiting, I thought that it would be nice to post this overview of the build. Your DS can tell you where the car sits in the production cycle if you call him - mine just completed paint.

Tesla Model S | Scripube

Mine is in the far corner of the inspection shop, sitting up on concrete blocks and covered with 1/4 inch of dust. They've removed the frunk cover and have just put a potted plant into the frunk that will help give the inspection shop a more pleasing atmosphere. About a third of the powertrain has been removed to use as replacements for any bad bits that they find on all of the other P85Ds that are whipping past on the production line.

Mine is in the far corner of the inspection shop, sitting up on concrete blocks and covered with 1/4 inch of dust. They've removed the frunk cover and have just put a potted plant into the frunk that will help give the inspection shop a more pleasing atmosphere. About a third of the powertrain has been removed to use as replacements for any bad bits that they find on all of the other P85Ds that are whipping past on the production line.

I think your build started sometime during the making of this video, correct? I'm surprised that we don't see it in some of the wider angle shots! ;)

Now you're just being ridiculous. Everyone knows the inspection shop uses wooden blocks. Sheeesh!

at least you'll be getting the latest and greatest updated parts in your car + with the plant you might be able to get some farm subsidies too!(well not sure if Canada has them actually?)

I thought we were going to stack the pizza boxes on top of the car?

How many bananas do you eat in Norway? The frunk looked big enough for at least 100 - 150 bananas when I saw it live in San Diego.

When I had a drive along in San Diego Sunday a week ago, the only thing I really noticed was the crazy (insane) acceleration. Hats of to all the descriptions in here of the different test drives, I can only confirm each and every one of them although they all describe different feelings. It is just an instant feeling of joy and fear when you ride shotgun the first time.

Look at the face of this Swedish journalist riding shotgun at the Tesla P85D european launch in Berlin -

You may not understand Swedish, but the face says it all. Just before the first 0-60, look how he brases him self, and then launch! I think I must have looked the same.

Looking forward to receiving the p85d on the first batch coming to Europe

The link did not make it the first time: http://mobil.svd.se/naringsliv/svep...ta-ar-bilen-hela-varlden-talar-om_svd-4100563

I can confirm that the (new) Montreal Tesla store now has one P85D available for test drives. I tried it yesterday.

Compared to my early-VIN P85 (#5539):

- The acceleration from a stop is indeed impressive (and addictive!), but once underway I did not sense that much of a difference in response from my car. I was on dry pavement, that would likely be different on ice / snow.
- Even under full acceleration (again on dry pavement), the TC light never blinked once. Very impressive grip, even with Pilot Sport 21' tires I get some TC action in my RWD S if I floor the accelerator.
- LOVE LOVE LOVE the new front performance seats !!!!, but like any sport seats they may be too snug for large-framed individuals. Definitely try before you buy. (the rear ones are not new-gen, so cannot comment).
- Suspension is nice and tight (I have the old bushings and dampers, so I do note a difference).
- Minimal noise (whine, not balloon) from the front engine, clearly perceptible, but does not bother me.
- The new electro-mechanical brakes introduced along with the autopilot HW seem to bite more aggressively that the conventional brakes on my car (a mild push on the pedal causes the car to lurch). I am sure I would get used to proper pedal modulation in time. Wearing winter boots doesn't help, but was not the cause.
- The winshield wiper arms seem to have a different blade locking mechanism, looks like a bulge from the driver's seat. Could the spray nozzles now be mounted on the arms themselves? The Tesla rep with me had never noticed that, and did not know. The other demo (non-D) car did not have those arms, nor did any other vehicle in the store. I did not think to try a squirt of windshield washer fluid.
- Impeccable, tight fit & finish.

I will be bringing some friends who were hesitant about driving a RWD car in Montreal winters to test the D.

Last edited:
Sheeeit, I ordered next gen and I'm 6ft9in and 420lbs.

Snug Ey?

@spentan, didn't try to spot NG seats in any P85D at the factory today but, two of the Tesla employees (on the slimmer side) in the delivery center mentioned that the NG seats are very snug fitting even for them. Don't know if they were referring to the front or the back ones or both.

@spentan, didn't try to spot NG seats in any P85D at the factory today but, two of the Tesla employees (on the slimmer side) in the delivery center mentioned that the NG seats are very snug fitting even for them. Don't know if they were referring to the front or the back ones or both.

Uh Oh,

Really hoping I'll fit. Didn't get a chance to try them out in a demo car before.

Otherwise I guess I'll just have to go on a diet (or trade them for the performance seats).

I'm 100% sure you can find someone to switch with who will pay you the difference and the swap cost. Like me if I lived anywhere near you! I'd order the S85D today if we had the trade set up.
Unfortunately you probably wouldn't want to wait that long. I am 6 ft 1 , 190#. They fit like a glove. But the car is a little harder to get into because of the side bolster - at least I think that is what I was sensing. I think someone over 300 would find the whole experience less than ideal.

Fantastic seats though. Remind me of 2005 BMW 545 sport seat without the thigh adjustability. If you are the right size, I think the seat is worlds more comfortable. I am pretty sure I can get my wife with her bad back to go on roadtrips again.

I took the P85D for a spin on Friday from the Dania Beach, FL location. I currently own S85 with AS with 19" & Tech. I never had driven a P85 or P85+ before as well. It was a huge difference in handling & acceleration which was expected. Not sure if I like the tight feel the P85D has for a everyday driven car. My current Model S with the AS just seems to float down the highway and still offers plenty of power. I do like the new seats. They do hold or wrap around you better but no a major issue with my old ones. They new braking system does seem a lot more aggressive and re-gens much harder. My biggest complaint still is with the noise from the contacts from the battery. I have had the balloon noise shortly after getting the car on heavy acceleration and it was fixed. I expect the car to be almost silent and with a little whining from the drivetrain. These random noises should have been cleared by now Tesla. So back to the test drive of the P85D. For those of you that can not stand the random noises it was twice as bad with the new P85D. Now with a drivetrain in the frunk it is really noticeable!! I know the salesperson says it normal but it's not, if one day I drive in complete silence and the next it is screaming like a 12 year old girl. I really hope Tesla can work out these issues before the Model X. I have to admit the service support is great but I wish they could provide a deeper level of technical explanation. For now, I will hold off on upgrading to the "D" even though I could use the AWD for my road trips up north. Anyone else experience these on their test drive of the P85D?