Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D sold for $87k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, I didn't these cars could sell for this price. Did the dealer not know what they were doing?

Tesla Model s P85D AWD Tech Pano Sunroof Nav | eBay

is eBay motors trustworthy?

I missed it by 1 hour on Sunday and yes they sell several P85D's under 100K.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea this was discussed on TM forum but you're right way underpriced and was bought quickly. Should have been nearly $20k more so someone scored a nice deal.

Not under priced at all, in fact it was right on par. Tesla CPO cars are way overpriced and so are most listed on Ebay, that is why they are still for sale.

- - - Updated - - -

oh and FYI they get a lot of their cars directly from Tesla.

The's another post on the Tesla forum. Kelly Blue Book value for a 2014 P85D is $76,051 with 15,000 miles. Nada shows $78,000. Tesla's trade in offer was $82,000. If this dealer paid blue book value for the car and then sold it for $87,000, they did pretty darn good on it with a $9,000 profit.

Performance models where people pay $20,000 literally for JUST A MOTOR upgrade that likely doesn't cost Tesla more than $2,000 are taking a huge hit when it comes to how companies, including Tesla, value the cars. People pay that price because the can and they want the best of the best. $20,000 is however stupid money for such a small difference in mechanical parts. Not knocking it, I paid it too. But generally, the higher the price a car is, the more depreciation it will have. Performance models across any brand, almost always show significantly higher depreciation rates than the base models of the same car.

Everyone says it was steal, but there are 4 or 5 other P85D's on E-bay that are listed around $100,000 and they've been on there for quite some time. That means people aren't willing to pay that much for a year old car. $87,000 might be a tad on the low side, but it was an auction and that's what it got bid up to. No better indicator of "market value" than the E-bay system. It tells you what people are willing to pay for it. Other's certainly could have bid more, but didn't.

There's a reason KBB, NADA and Tesla only pay 57% to 61% for year old P85D's.

The's another post on the Tesla forum. Kelly Blue Book value for a 2014 P85D is $76,051 with 15,000 miles. Nada shows $78,000. Tesla's trade in offer was $82,000. If this dealer paid blue book value for the car and then sold it for $87,000, they did pretty darn good on it with a $9,000 profit.

Performance models where people pay $20,000 literally for JUST A MOTOR upgrade that likely doesn't cost Tesla more than $2,000 are taking a huge hit when it comes to how companies, including Tesla, value the cars. People pay that price because the can and they want the best of the best. $20,000 is however stupid money for such a small difference in mechanical parts. Not knocking it, I paid it too. But generally, the higher the price a car is, the more depreciation it will have. Performance models across any brand, almost always show significantly higher depreciation rates than the base models of the same car.

Everyone says it was steal, but there are 4 or 5 other P85D's on E-bay that are listed around $100,000 and they've been on there for quite some time. That means people aren't willing to pay that much for a year old car. $87,000 might be a tad on the low side, but it was an auction and that's what it got bid up to. No better indicator of "market value" than the E-bay system. It tells you what people are willing to pay for it. Other's certainly could have bid more, but didn't.

There's a reason KBB, NADA and Tesla only pay 57% to 61% for year old P85D's.

My bank booked several of them for around $75K.....like you said $87 is a fair price.

My P85+ was originally listed on ebay last year for $110K. I bid $79,999 for four months on several P85's with right specs and finally one of the sellers finally caved and sold at my bid price. It just takes some effort.

I am stunned that a dealership actually gave you that deal. When I bid I eliminated all dealerships in the first 30 days of bidding and focused on private party sales only.

The scary part was I almost won two bids the same night (I had 7 active bids going...at one point!!!!) - little nerve racking, but it all worked out in the end.

My goal is to get a P85D loaded for under 80K before year end. It is possible. Just keep an eye on eBay.

Your best bet is to keep an Eye on the cars listed on Ebay after they are no longer listed. Most Tesla owners are in denial when it comes time to sell. They don't want to believe that their beloved Tesla could have depreciated by 39% to 43% in just one year, especially the Performance model cars. Owners will try and try and try. Eventually, those that don't have to sell, just give up and keep them. Or those that do have to sell, go to CarMax or Tesla and get "real money" offers. Their initial reaction to those offers are "You must be f*#%ing crazy!!" And they leave and go home to try yet again. Then eventually they wake up and realize, "crap, my car's only worth X number of dollars". Most end up just trading them into Tesla or sell to Carmax as by that time, they're so deflated and don't want the hassle of selling it private party for such a small amount.

So, the key is, keep track of the cars you saw listed. After they are no longer listed, give it a couple of weeks and send the owner a message to see if they got the car sold. Chances are by then, they got their offer from Tesla, Carmax or another dealer. If they haven't taken it yet, then your $80,000 offer will maybe sound good to them. ($80,000 might actually be too low, but $84,000) would give them $2,000 more than Tesla offered them. If you're able to offer a quick and easy transaction, you can then probably convince them to sell it to you instead of back to Tesla or the dealer they're working with.

I used the above practice when searching for my car. I came very close on a couple of them. Got to within a couple thousand of what I was willing to pay, which was about $20,000 less than their initial asking prices.

Reactions: Xpress
I'm pretty sure tesla sold a batch of inventory cars to this dealer in December at a great discount for sales goals. I just took possession of a p85+ with autopilot that they listed a few days before Christmas that was similarly underpriced.

Seems about right. My P85D has 15K miles on it and is almost a year old. It cost me $112K after the EV rebates and tax credits. A used car buyer would not be able to get those breaks. If I sold mine today for $87K, I'd be down 22%. Not bad for 1 year with 15K miles given the biggest hit is the first year. So if anything, seems a tad high.

That said, of the 6 P85Ds that sold on Ebay recently, that one was by FAR the lowest price and the only one to sell under $100K. I can't price mine on kbb because there's no 2015 values for the Model S yet.

Last edited:
"Why do P85D owners sell after one year to lose out on this much money? I understand why the RWD P85 sold for the autopilot. But if you're ready have the latest and greatest with autopilot, why sell it? Unless you're trading for the model X."

Or ditching EVs and going back to ICE?

Oh the horror !!

Hey Guys, just thought I would give some details about the car in question.

I was the lucky buyer of P67574 on eBay. At first, I was skeptical because of the low asking price. I contacted the sales agent, who provided details about the history of the vehicle. I believe it was a loaner car for Tesla Service Seattle originally. After reviewing the carfax, I was able to confirm it was a clean one owner with no accident history.

The dealer that sold it to me (Texas Direct Auto) seems to be very reputable. I was told that they are the largest used car dealer in the country (selling 2,000+ cars per month). They also had 100% positive feedback with over 11,000 transactions.

It arrived safely on Monday morning here in central California. I went over the car with a fine tooth comb and was unable to find anything wrong with it. Up until this point, I still had a feeling there was a catch to the whole deal.

Luckily, after driving it for the past few days I can say with confidence that the car is FLAWLESS. Rides and drives great. A big improvement from my mid 2013 S85.

All said and done I was able to score the P85D for just over $87k (This was the 'buy it now' price, not a bidding auction). Texas Auto also shipped the car to me in California for free.

Considering the mileage (1,246) and the options (every option except premium interior), I felt like it was a no brainer. I had wanted to upgrade to a dual motor config with autopilot for some time now, and I would be kicking myself if I had passed on this deal.

The sales rep from the dealer in Texas told me they buy cars directly from Tesla. I believe this was a lot they purchased at the end of the year to help Tesla get the sales figures up, but I also wonder if Tesla sells lots of these cars to this dealer in Texas because of Tesla's inability to sell direct to consumer there?

Either way, I am very happy with the purchase!

Reactions: Panu and viperboy