Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D sold for $87k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are six on eBay right now - I like the blue one they just posted about today with the executive seats. Also didn't realize P85D didn't have LTE until after July 2015. I also like the red one that SPENTAN has listed. I think he is on this forum sometimes - that one might be the best deal if you could get the Tesla extended warranty added in before purchase. I prefer to stay away from the dealers - they just add fees and no value add - and the private party sales are usually a better deal.

used-2015-tesla-model_s--8435-14618657-41-800.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 4.34.53 PM.png

Last edited:
There's one on ebay right now for $99K on a 2014 white, no pano roof, 19K miles, no premium package, 19" base wheels. I offered $82K and just got a counter offer of $92K. It does have air suspension and hi fi sound and black next gen seats. I re-countered the seller's $92K counter at $83.5K because I really don't want a white Tesla with black interior, but at that price I'd probably have to make myself take it.

Uh, seems like u guys are a bit far apart [emoji15].

Uh, seems like u guys are a bit far apart [emoji15].

Yeah but he came down $8,000 from his asking price on his very first counter offer - $100K was completely unrealistic. You keep making offers until something hits - these aren't collector cars or even low level exotics. They're just mass production sedans headed down the depreciation toilet - overpaying is really dumb.

And actually I cancelled my offer of $83.5K - I just hate white - I decided I don't care how cheap it is. Would've been curious to see what he re-countered at though. I wonder if white really hits the resale value - on Ferrari 355's and 360's there is as much as a $10K difference in resale value between the highly desired color (red) and something like grigio alloy.

If you look at two auctions going on right now, a red P85D with 28K miles is up to almost $90K with 5 days left on the auction, whereas a white one with 3K miles is at $79K with only a day to go. Rather odd.

Last edited:
Give them a couple of months - there will be a significant drop in the March/April timeframe- as X production goes into full swing.

Also have you ever calculated the monthly cost of owning a Model S? Insurance, depreciation, payments etc. Every month the current owner waits to sell it costs ~ $1500 per month and on a highly optioned car it could be as high as ~$2000 per month in I+D+P - in some cases even higher.

Wait - it be financially worth it for you - not so much for the seller.

I don't know what the depreciation curve on the Model S, I will try and find it and post it for you - the first 2 year depreciation on most luxury cars is the worst (usually 25% to 35%). If you buy an S on its 2 year anniversary date (from manufacture) - you can usually get a pretty awesome deal. http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1096688_why-i-had-to-trade-my-tesla-model-s-for-a-brand-new-p85d. So If you can wait - a used P85D in December this year would make a fiscally responsible Christmas present!

213.jpg

Also check out this site for depreciation on the Model S http://teslarumors.com/Teslanomics-Audi.html

Last edited:
Unfortunately 3 of them have no PANO roof.
Unfortunately for whom? Not for the guy who is selling a P85+ with pano to a customer who values pano more than AWD. Also not unfortunate for those who prefer the Model S without the pano roof. You may be suffering from an assumption that everyone shares your affinity for pano. The fact that there are number of well optioned P85D's out there without it says that there is a segment of people who prefer their model S without it (I fall into that segment too - wouldn't order it even if it was free). :)

Used car value is set by what someone is willing to pay for the car. People often assume everyone shares their values, but that is not true. When I was selling my Model S, I found a number of opinions on TMC and TM forums how the S60 is worth very little and nobody would buy it. Yet, I sold it within 2 weeks through a consignment shop for $7K above what Tesla offered to trade it in for - that small shop actually sold 4 Model S's that week, including one unicorn S40. Those who say "RWD P will not sell well" express their opinion - there are plenty of used RWD sports cars that sell well, why wouldn't P85+ sell? There are no 2013 D's to compete for example, so if you're looking for a 3 year old car that is the top model. Buyer's market is much larger that just Tesla tech fans on this forum, not everyone must have the AP or AWD at any cost. Value is always in the eyes of the buyer. And yes, there are sellers out there that overvalue what they are selling, just as there are those who sell at lower prices and make it up in volume (for example, can you get another P85D today for $87K just like the one that started this thread)? Welcome to a free market! :-D

I get your point. But in the luxury market, it is a rarity to see a $100K car without a sunroof. Most used cars get sold off two metrics: mileage and price......

The main reason for that is that you can't buy a lot of luxury cars without a sunroof - even if it was technically possible that would require that a dealer had a free allocation to order you a custom vehicle, it was early enough in the model year where you can still custom order, and you would wait up to 6 months or more. I did that with a Porsche long time ago, it took 9 months from order to delivery because it was custom (and if I remember correctly it saved me $0 to remove it, as there was a charge to remove it which was equal to the price of the sunroof option) - after that I just ended up buying whatever was the closest to what I wanted somewhere where the dealer was willing to ship from - all had sunroofs.

As for how rare no pano is for P85D, where people can in fact order in the configuration that they actually want:
According to ev-cpo.com:
33% of the P85D's you posted as currently listed on ebay (3 of 9) don't have a pano
19% of P85D's listed (9 of 47) don't have pano

So I guess it depends on your definition of rarity. Approximately 1 in 4 P85D CPO is red, 1 in 5 has no pano, so is red a rare color for P85D? :)

This guy swears his car is worth every penny because it's the best optioned car right now.

2014 Tesla Model S P85+ Fully Loaded
Something may be fishy with that listing. The vehicle quote says "Tech package", not "Tech package w/ autopilot" (although the photos seem to show the hardware). Also, the quote says lacewood (wasn't lacewood gone by then?), but the pictures are clearly CF.