TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85D "specially designed performance suspension"

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by bhzmark, Mar 15, 2015.

1. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

In addition to accel, the other main thing that the P85D has that the 85D doesn't is the "specially designed performance suspension"

Has anyone seen any details on what that consists of or what effect it has?

Or how it is different or improved from the p+? And different from the 85D? I'll bet some of the p+ has trickled down to the nonp 85s?

2. anxman

anxman Member

My understanding is that the P85D has the + suspension / hardware, while the non-P models do not.

3. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Then, I'm also confused because I've read somewhere that the P+ suspension (or certain elements of it) was eventually incorporated into every model.

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

The P+ had upgraded dampers and added stabilizer bars and upgraded rear lower control arms and upper links with revised stiffer bushings and of course stickier michelin's that were wider in the rear too. That's basically it. I would expect only the P85D to have all of these. It's the stiffer lower a-arm bushings that are now standard on all models.

5. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Thanks, that cleared it up for me!

6. Dennis87

Dennis87 Member

Tesla part catalog show that the P85D have other suspensions, air spring control modules, stabilizer bars, links, and bushings it has also other parts than the P85+. All of the P85+ parts looks to be improved on the P85D. Example the stabilizer bar is now thicker in the front.

7. Kilowatt

Kilowatt Member

But the wider rear wheels seem to be history now as well as the sticky tires...

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I don't know if that was confirmed or not because multiple people got different answers when inquired. To some tesla said "well it's not on the website so yea it's gone" (which kind of implies they are absolutely clueless) and others said no way that they are just backordered and will absolutely be on the due bills if not delivered with the car. Inconsistent communication. No surprise there. I was under the impression they were just backordered which seemed like the more legitimate response.

9. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

The P85+ suspension dynamics are similar to the P85D. There is likely an upgrade to the components in the D. But the tire/wheel configurations are the same. 245s in the front and 265s in the rear. (no tire rotation) But a true performance structure, as there is more/all the power in the rear in both models. I have a P85+ and am glad to have the wider tires in the rear.

10. Kilowatt

Kilowatt Member

Well, seems all the P85D's coming to Sweden are without the staggered setup :/

11. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Consider yourself lucky.

12. In2oil

In2oil Member

this is good! Better range on the highway and you can rotate your tires.

13. Dennis87

Dennis87 Member

The conti tires sucks compared to PS2. And the car does not look good with so narrow tires. A high performance car should have high performance tires.

14. dennis

dennis P85D

I pointed out on another thread that 1" of the additional tread width comes from the difference between the Conti and PS2 in 245 and .2" comes from the difference between the 245 PS2 and 265 PS2 tread width. Someone else pointed out that having 1/2" larger rear rims also widens the rear stance.

15. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

Now the website deleted the "specially designed performance supension language" Is there no difference anymore? Has the old + package trickled down to all models?

16. krisg81

krisg81 Member

Staggered wheels and wider tires not only look better on the wide bodied Model S, it handles much better that way. The Michelin Ps2 tires blow the Conti's away as well. Not getting the staggered setup saves Tesla money, plain and simple. Skinny 245 tires look horrible on the car, IMO!

i have a P85+ loaner car today with 21's and air suspension, just like my P85D. I am not sure what the differences are, but the P85+ rides so much nicer and less bumpy on the low setting vs my P85D. My car rides much rougher than my P85 that was on 22's! Not sure what they did here but the ride is very stiff- I wish I rode like the P85+, and trust me I'm a fan of firm suspension and handling but the P85D is a little too much for a full size sedan IMO.

17. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have the P85+ and simply love it. I'm not completely clear on the diff between mine and the D. But I am very happy with it. It's quite compliant (with air) while also being tight. She handles like a dream and I love the RWD. Very predictable. Surprisingly so. I have had AWD for years and wanted the change. I think discontinuing the model was a mistake. I just got rid of the great, but ridiculous Michi PS2's and got Hankooks and am now even more happy. I don't track the car (yet) and I need more than only 9K mi out of my tires. Hence the change.

At first I was pissed with the sudden and quick model changes. But actually, I am very happy with what I have and would not trade. Maybe in a few years, but not now.

18. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

To be clear, the op was also asking about the suspension difference between the P85D and the other current model s 's. Presumably the p85d has old + upgrades -- but perhaps the rest of model s line has those upgrades also? So what suspension upgrade, if any, is obtained by getting a p over the other current models?