TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85D Strange Clicking Front Left Speaker (with link to video)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MarkS22, Aug 22, 2015.

1. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

Hey,

I was driving today listening to Slacker when a loud repeating "click" sound started from the front left of the car. It seemed like a speaker or sound system glitch because the other systems (like hvac, air suspension, etc) had no effect. Interestingly it only came from one of the front left speakers. This continued after leaving the car and returning. Eventually, rebooting remedied the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? Video linked to demonstrate the exact sound:

Tesla P85D Strange Clicking Noise - YouTube

Any thoughts on the cause? I'm on the latest firmware.

2. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

Software loop? The left front speaker is where the navigation sound comes from (while muting the audio system). Sounds like something got glitched and it was between input states.

3. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

Definitely seems software related, considering a reboot stopped it. Navigation wasn't running when it happened, nor did I touch any controls. Hopefully, it was a one-off fluke.

4. imherkimer

imherkimer Member

My car was having the same issue. I discovered that the source of the sound was my cell phone. Particularly if the cell phone was left in the cubby under the center screen. Causes some kind of interference which comes through the speakers.

5. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

In this case, it definitely wasn't my cell phone. I've had some more subtle interference with a buzzing/clicking in the past (like when receiving a call or text message), but this sound continued even after I walked a few feet from the car (with my phone in my pocket). And this clicking was much louder, remaining at the exact same volume, independent of where my phone was located. Also, I've had the same exact phone (iPhone 6) since I got the car in April and have never had that clicking. More importantly, I don't believe a reboot would make the cell phone's clicking stop instantly.

I took another video of me getting out of the car, closing the door, and reopening it... and the sound stayed exactly the same. Note that in the video, the sound seems to fade as I move it away from the source, but to me sitting stationary, the sound was the exact same volume the entire time.