Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Supercharging Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since yesterday, my P85D would not take a charge at 2 local SC. The blue light blinked at first, then turned into a solid blue, never turned green or blinking green. I've tried it at home with the HPWC and it worked just fine. Called Tesla this morning and was confirmed that it is a hardware issue. I now have an appointment at a service center on the 31st.

Btw the my vin is 104xxx

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

I have had this problem since v9 update,
On the way to Richmond it would only would on one charger at each stop. Jax said it was port,
I installed NEW port, same problem. They changed port. Same problem.
Next day they fixed ir by loading new sw. I came home. Last week same problem. At 3 different locations.
I sent Tesla an email. They wont answer me.
Im off to the SC in Jax tomorrow.

I have had this problem since v9 update,
On the way to Richmond it would only would on one charger at each stop. Jax said it was port,
I installed NEW port, same problem. They changed port. Same problem.
Next day they fixed ir by loading new sw. I came home. Last week same problem. At 3 different locations.
I sent Tesla an email. They wont answer me.
Im off to the SC in Jax tomorrow.

Awful. Please keep me updated. Thanks for sharing

Ha that's awesome to hear from a local. I work in Fontana off Marlay and Etiwanda. Hope you don't experience the same issue. I'll post an update once I visit the SC. I'm sure i'll see you around

If your charging in Rancho let me know what charger and Ill test the same one. (thats if we both get lucky and find a open on there) Have you noticed the test vehicles taking up chargers now? As if the Rancho chargers were not busy enough already.

Ouch. Can you share what they had to fix to make it work? Parts and labor breakdown would be great.

Repair.png

Thank you so much for sharing. Your receipt proves that my initial assumption was correct. Tesla service charges a fixed cost for the battery charger ($2k) plus additional labor it takes to install them ($192).

It looks like they installed the "gen 2" charger instead of replacing the current "gen 1" master charger. In this case, can you argue that since they are upgrading supercharger connectors from gen 1 to gen 2 version, the replacement within old vehicles should be free for compatibility purposes?

I would think you could make the argument that the charger should be part of what's covered under battery warranty.
You could certainly try, but you’re not going to get anywhere. The battery and drive unit warranty covers two very specific items and two very specific items only. You guessed it - the battery and the drive unit.

It looks like they installed the "gen 2" charger instead of replacing the current "gen 1" master charger. In this case, can you argue that since they are upgrading supercharger connectors from gen 1 to gen 2 version, the replacement within old vehicles should be free for compatibility purposes?

This “generation” of charger referred to on the service bill is not what you suggest and has nothing to do with connectors, new superchargers, etc. so no, it’s not going to be free for any such reason.

Reactions: Rocky_H and SigNC
There is a roped off area now where they park the vehicles for what I assume to be test drives. I’ve been there and seen the Tesla employees swapping the cars around on the chargers.
Makes sense. I got an email invitation to test drive any S,X or 3 in Rancho. I came in last week to check out the new store and one of the employees offered me a test drive, not knowing I’m a current owner. If they use the SC for these test drive vehicles the station is going to be more and more crowded. I hope they upgrade it soon