Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D to 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone made the move from a P85D (or P90D) to a 100D? do you regret it? wish you had gone with a P100D?

im deciding to make this upgrade and want to make sure i wont regret my decision later.

the price difference im seeing on the used market is about $10,000 between S 100D and P100D

P85D is fast and fun car. i have driven a P100D and it is a beast but i do not think i will need it on a daily basis and rather save the $10,000. i think the 100D should be fast enough for my needs.

reasons to upgrade, new facelift, AP2(FSD), shorter supercharging times, more miles

also any 100D owners can chime in on supercharging speeds at V3? im reading it is capable of going up to 200KW but im surprised i dont see much threads on this topic.

Reactions: rx_for_assyria
If it’s any help, I downgraded from a P100D to a 100D in 2018 as the launches of the P were giving me a headache and vertigo lol. Not to mention chiropractic care! I adore the 100D as that perfect balance of refined power and max range.

The launch of a P version...any really...will feel quicker than any non P. The actual numbers between P85D and 100D are 3.3 to 3.8 sec in actual 0-60. The power curve of the Raven gives the 100D a longer peak torque then the P85D so there may be very little difference if any from 40-80.
I always found the P launches to be a more brute force punch vs a smoother refined launch for the 100D.

Having said all this, for 10k more I’d take the P over the non P unless range is your thing. The diff used to be 40k back in the day.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KyleDay
Watch pricing carefully, IMO pre-Raven cars have not dropped in price in line with the new pricing.
Year and a half ago folks were paying over $100k for 315mile 100d today a 370mile car is $80k new.
People then apply logical depreciation to the used cars.and they end up pricing them what new cars.can be had for.

If it’s any help, I downgraded from a P100D to a 100D in 2018 as the launches of the P were giving me a headache and vertigo lol. Not to mention chiropractic care! I adore the 100D as that perfect balance of refined power and max range.

The launch of a P version...any really...will feel quicker than any non P. The actual numbers between P85D and 100D are 3.3 to 3.8 sec in actual 0-60. The power curve of the Raven gives the 100D a longer peak torque then the P85D so there may be very little difference if any from 40-80.
I always found the P launches to be a more brute force punch vs a smoother refined launch for the 100D.

Having said all this, for 10k more I’d take the P over the non P unless range is your thing. The diff used to be 40k back in the day.

agree the P cars are more fun but the regular 100D is unofficially 0-60 in 3.5 sec or so which is in territory of older P cars. im not too concern about range (315 vs 335) both are within means.

Watch pricing carefully, IMO pre-Raven cars have not dropped in price in line with the new pricing.
Year and a half ago folks were paying over $100k for 315mile 100d today a 370mile car is $80k new.
People then apply logical depreciation to the used cars.and they end up pricing them what new cars.can be had for.

yes i have noticed that as well. i may wait a bit and watch the market some more.

I drive a lowly old P85 and have long owned V8 cars. Frankly I don't use all the power often.

Don't think I would be happy with a S85 with a 5 second 0-60 but once down to low 4s and below I really don't think you get to use it much.

this is exactly what im going through as well. its nice having a "v8" but i definitely do not utilize it on a daily basis and i agree once you get to around 4sec 0-60, they are quick and fun enough already which brought up my debate. if anything i feel like the tech side of the car has become more apart of my daily life.

P100D was 20k more than the 100D so went with 100D instead. 0-60 is 3.7-3.8 sec no one has measured the quarter mile time and I just got a draggy so I guess I will be the first but I am thinking 11sih. If the p100D was more than a quarter mile pony I may have spent the extra money but I don't go to drag strips and as previously said the accidental push of the race pedals can give you whiplash :)

agree the P cars are more fun but the regular 100D is unofficially 0-60 in 3.5 sec or so which is in territory of older P cars. im not too concern about range (315 vs 335) both are within means.

yes i have noticed that as well. i may wait a bit and watch the market some more.

this is exactly what im going through as well. its nice having a "v8" but i definitely do not utilize it on a daily basis and i agree once you get to around 4sec 0-60, they are quick and fun enough already which brought up my debate. if anything i feel like the tech side of the car has become more apart of my daily life.

Thing is the Tesla response is so much better than an ICE you still have to lift fast, no torque management, no downshift. Only downside is the way they get flat at higher speeds with no next gear. Frankly though how often do you punch it already at highway speeds?

I'd say 100D. The power of the P100D is unnecessary UNLESS you really really want to be able to outrun everyone from a stop. I bought a P100D (at the time for the power & I've come to realize I don't need it) so right now a 100D would be more than adequate for my needs (a simple 113-mile commute daily). If you don't need the extra power then don't spend the extra money. if your commute is anything like mine and involves 95% of traffic then the P100D would be unnecessary to purchase, don't get me wrong when I need to accelerate I GOOO but I hardly ever do that now. I'd say go 100D over P100D....unless you can get them (used) for about the same price.

I drive a late production 2018 P100D. I frequently drive a P85D and a 100D infrequently. Big difference between 100D and P100D acceleration. Little but noticeable difference between the P85D and 100D. That being said the 100D is plenty fast.

I usually get charge speeds up to 130kW on V2 charging stations as long as I start with a low SOC. However, I have never reached speeds above 77kW on my local V3 charger. This has me very frustrated as hell and can’t seem to figure why.

AFAIK the MCU2 is the most important concern when looking for a 100D. I’ve had both MCU1 and MCU2 and could never go back to the MCU1!

I drive a late production 2018 P100D. I frequently drive a P85D and a 100D infrequently. Big difference between 100D and P100D acceleration. Little but noticeable difference between the P85D and 100D. That being said the 100D is plenty fast.
!
Is the P85D upgraded to ludicrous? Because without that it’s not much faster than the 100D maybe .2 or .3 seconds faster, nothing you’d really feel.

I'd say 100D. The power of the P100D is unnecessary UNLESS you really really want to be able to outrun everyone from a stop. I bought a P100D (at the time for the power & I've come to realize I don't need it) so right now a 100D would be more than adequate for my needs (a simple 113-mile commute daily). If you don't need the extra power then don't spend the extra money. if your commute is anything like mine and involves 95% of traffic then the P100D would be unnecessary to purchase, don't get me wrong when I need to accelerate I GOOO but I hardly ever do that now. I'd say go 100D over P100D....unless you can get them (used) for about the same price.

this was also my reasoning back then when i bought my P85D over a regular 85 but i feel the 85 is much slower but with the speeds increasing, 100D is looking quite promising(of course its slower than P100D but it is not slow by any means)

my commute does involve traffic but it is also nice to be able to enjoy it on the weekends as this is my all purpose car.

Is the P85D upgraded to ludicrous? Because without that it’s not much faster than the 100D maybe .2 or .3 seconds faster, nothing you’d really feel.

no ludicrous on my p85d, it looks slower on paper but im reading that the 100D has better power band over SOC, the p85d power drops quite a bit when its not at 80% or even 90% SOC

I drive a lowly old P85 and have long owned V8 cars. Frankly I don't use all the power often.

Don't think I would be happy with a S85 with a 5 second 0-60 but once down to low 4s and below I really don't think you get to use it much.

I 100% agree. I have a 75D and continue to dream about having Ludacrous mode. However, I rarely get to punch it fully down on my current car, and 4 second 0-60 is still a ton on fun.

It would be nice to have an increased power band for highway overtaking speeds, however the 75D (or in this matter a 100D) does just fine.

As for the original poster - depending on your personality and financial needs...I’d lean towards paying the 10k. It’ll probably hold its value a little better and you won’t have any regrets/FOMO.

I 100% agree. I have a 75D and continue to dream about having Ludacrous mode. However, I rarely get to punch it fully down on my current car, and 4 second 0-60 is still a ton on fun.

It would be nice to have an increased power band for highway overtaking speeds, however the 75D (or in this matter a 100D) does just fine.

As for the original poster - depending on your personality and financial needs...I’d lean towards paying the 10k. It’ll probably hold its value a little better and you won’t have any regrets/FOMO.

this is kind of where i am on the fence, i do drive in traffic daily so no "fun" to be had but i do like to enjoy the car on the weekends.

+1 on making sure you get MCU 2.0. Makes a big difference and it's something you will feel and notice every day.

Moot point if the rumored retrofit becomes available...

what exactly do you do on your MCU on a daily basis? i rarely ever touch mine since everything is automated and most settings can be adjusted through the scroll wheel. i only ever use it to turn on the seat warmers since thats not hooked up to the scroll wheels.(i wish they would add this)

this is kind of where i am on the fence, i do drive in traffic daily so no "fun" to be had but i do like to enjoy the car on the weekends.

what exactly do you do on your MCU on a daily basis? i rarely ever touch mine since everything is automated and most settings can be adjusted through the scroll wheel. i only ever use it to turn on the seat warmers since thats not hooked up to the scroll wheels.(i wish they would add this)

Let's see, maps, navigation, music, tons of Web browser use, and in fact I use the Web browser often to manage home automation controls. For example, I use the browser to turn on my driveway lights when I'm half a mile away from home. I also use the MCU to media/watching Plex.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits