Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Torque?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried doing a search to see if this had been previously discussed, but got a message back saying no matches found.

I'm about to take delivery of a P90D and know the combined horsepower of the 2 motors is 760, but does anyone know the spec on what the combined torque value is under full throttle?

In advance, many thanks,

pdq

I tried doing a search to see if this had been previously discussed, but got a message back saying no matches found.

I'm about to take delivery of a P90D and know the combined horsepower of the 2 motors is 760, but does anyone know the spec on what the combined torque value is under full throttle?

In advance, many thanks,

pdq

I'm assuming you mean Ludicrous?

Be careful adding up the two motors together. They don't make 760 combined at the same time. The front motor is rated at 259 and the rear is rated at 503 but Tesla does not combine those two numbers to give you a total hp output because they don't output their maximums at the same time.

In advance, many thanks,

pdq

Yes, be very careful about HP expectations for the car (or even the combined motors - whatever that might mean). See this thread for more than you want to know ...

P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it..

Tesla has been anything but clear or consistent about their changing performance claims for their cars (the P85D in particular) ...

In advance, many thanks,

pdq

The torque numbers people quote are highly misleading anyway - they are quoted at the crankshaft, with no reference to the gearing. The only thing it really does is give you some sort of feel for the torque curve shape in connection with horsepower on an ICE. (The curve shape of all modern AC motors is basically the same - a flat constant torque region from 0 rpm to peak power followed by a declining constant power region.)

If you need a number, the most meaningful one is probably a little over 5100 foot pounds at the wheels.

(A 4900 pound car accelerates at 1.2g on 245/45R19 tires - hence ~1.15 foot radius, and doesn't go much faster on a track with traction compound so there isn't a whole lot in reserve.)

The rear motor I believe has the 9.71:1 gearing of classic model Ss - so if it were all rear motor it'd be ~525 foot pounds. I don't think I've seen a definitive gearing for the front motor published...
Walter

The rear is 9.73 and the front is 9.35. You could average them together but depending on the torque split it would head towards the 9.73 ratio or the 9.35. Regardless, if the difference is just a few % off at most if you assume the average.

Also, it's a *lot* of torque. More torque (i.e. horsepower at really low RPMs) than you'll ever find on an ICE car which will give you awesome 0-60 times even if the 50-70 MPH times aren't that great.