Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D vs 85D + $30k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then there's the guy who trashed two 19" rims and tires on his way home from delivery in Syosset. I have 20,000 miles on my 21s with just one small scratch from one of those Indiana toll booths. I can appreciate the impracticality on northeast roads though. It makes for very nervous driving on a trip without a spare. Aftermarket wheels are easy, but there's no way to recoup the high cost of the 21s. To the original point, $30k for a bona fide super car is unprecedented. Probably overkill for most, however.

Yeah, I have to admit, it's going to be a bit silly for me to own this car. My fastest car to date did 0-60 in around 5.3s, and that felt very quick to me. I just watched one of those launch videos from the unveiling event, and it already scares the bejeezus out of me.

I think I'm going to take some classes at a relatively nearby track to become more worthy of the beast... that is, unless Lola wants to fly out and give me some lessons!

I think I'm going to take some classes at a relatively nearby track to become more worthy of the beast... that is, unless Lola wants to fly out and give me some lessons!

Please do this! Even if it's not a P85D. Great to do with _any_ new car.

Your local car clubs regularly hold Car Control Clinics where instructors will take you through a series of exercises and drills in accident avoidance, threshold breaking, and handling. It's one of the best investments you can make in driving safety. Most clubs are welcoming of all makes and models for these events. Check with BMW, Audi, and Porsche car clubs in your area.

P85D Pros
- 691HP
- 21" super cool tires and rims (they are not fragile--I've owned them)
- Black seats--only color to get anyways because they are cool
- The baddest Tesla made
- Sports ride which is what one wants in sports car with 691HP
- It's faster than ****

Enough said.

So much for bringing EV adoption to a larger percentage of the population :rolleyes:
Sometimes I think Tesla is forgetting its priorities. While they are far behind schedule on the X, and lots of people are waiting for a first glimpse of what Model 3 will be like, Tesla is spending its R&D dollars on developing a monster EV with nearly 700 horsepower.
No offence mate, but the P85D could have been the work of some crazy tuning company, not Tesla themselves. Sure, halo products are nearly always "cool", but do they really matter?
And new seats only with the P85D, and only in black leather? That has got to be a very bad joke. In what way are black seats "cool" anyway? Not in the literal sense of the word certainly. And as in coolness, what makes black "cooler" than white, tan or grey? Or red, lime green or orange for that matter?

So much for bringing EV adoption to a larger percentage of the population :rolleyes:
Sometimes I think Tesla is forgetting its priorities. While they are far behind schedule on the X, and lots of people are waiting for a first glimpse of what Model 3 will be like, Tesla is spending its R&D dollars on developing a monster EV with nearly 700 horsepower.
No offence mate, but the P85D could have been the work of some crazy tuning company, not Tesla themselves. Sure, halo products are nearly always "cool", but do they really matter?
And new seats only with the P85D, and only in black leather? That has got to be a very bad joke. In what way are black seats "cool" anyway? Not in the literal sense of the word certainly. And as in coolness, what makes black "cooler" than white, tan or grey? Or red, lime green or orange for that matter?

Tesla needs to generate $3B in profit over the next 5 years to complete and fully fill out the Gigafactory to bring EV adoption to the masses. They remain production constrained, which means for every car they can produce they need to try to extract maximum profit from it. This isn't going to happen any other way.

Tesla needs to generate $3B in profit over the next 5 years to complete and fully fill out the Gigafactory to bring EV adoption to the masses. They remain production constrained, which means for every car they can produce they need to try to extract maximum profit from it. This isn't going to happen any other way.

As a TSLA stockholder I can only hope that this strategy will work out. As a prospective Model 3 buyer I am getting ever more curious.
If I were a candidate for Model X (which I am not) I would feel really p***** off right now though.

Your local car clubs regularly hold Car Control Clinics where instructors will take you through a series of exercises and drills in accident avoidance, threshold breaking, and handling. It's one of the best investments you can make in driving safety. Most clubs are welcoming of all makes and models for these events. Check with BMW, Audi, and Porsche car clubs in your area.

They really are ridiculously fun events to do.

Now that the 21 inch wheels and the air suspension are optional on the P85D, the price difference is less than 30k if you want to avoid those things, or were going to get them anyway on the S85. Only about 25k more.