TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85D vs 85D stopping distance

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by SabrToothSqrl, Sep 29, 2016.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Is there a stopping distance difference between these cars?

100-0 and or 60-0 in feet and time would be nice to know :)

thanks...

let's assume same wheels/tires.

2. St Charles

St Charles Member

If there is, it would be because the 85D is lighter.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If you search the thread title in a search engine, it will take you to a teslamotors forum post that suggests (via lolachampcar) that the hardware is consistent across models. I would suspect, as St Charles suggests, that the lighter car stops faster. This implies that a P85D (stock) will typically brake slower than an 85D (stock), but if you do wildly different configurations and/or do aftermarket adjustments that affect weight then the story might change.

Dunno if this helps.

4. SabrToothSqrl

I was under the impression the P85D has bigger/better brakes? Or is painting them red literally the only difference?

5. St Charles

St Charles Member

The paint is the only difference. The brakes are the same. What you can do is get a different brake pad which will do wonders to the pedal feel and bite performance.

6. SabrToothSqrl

Really?! Ok then. I feel better about my next one being a 85D or 90D then. I thought I would be getting actually 'better' brakes, not just some paint. thanks. Yes I know the P makes it faster ;)