TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85D vs Aventador...

Discussion in 'Video' started by fiksegts, Dec 23, 2014.

1. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

2. P85

P85 Member

Wow! Thanx for sharing

3. highfalutintodd

That is amusing. ;-)

4. rtz

rtz Member

#4 rtz, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Most electric cars tend to fall off on the top end. Watch this one though seem to get a boost(shifts into second?) after it gets going:

It will be interesting to see in the future if electric cars continue to stay with single speed gearboxes or start adding gears.

Another good clean race. Watch this bike walk the AWD that jumps off the line after it finally hooks up:

Can't wait to see some modded Tesla's. Aftermarket gears, modified inverter, motor swap. Put a big motor in the front to match the one in the back. Someone who has their car parked for the winter: Pull the inverter out of it and get it open. See how to double or triple the power. Or send it off to China or Japan and request for the power to be doubled/tripled.

Or put some better tires on it so the car can truly go full power without the "traction control" cutting back on the power:

Mickey Thompson Performance Tires Wheels

NT05R D.O.T.-Compliant Competition Drag Radial Tire

5. 1208

1208 Active Member

Awesome! Now we need to spread the video to the Topgear presenters and anti-ev people.

6. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

I REALLY REALLY wish these guys would do that here...

ea10D_69281.jpg

So this doesn't happen...

dYjlF6KVkCA.jpg

That started as a street race too... it didn't end well for two people.

7. Soflason

Soflason Member

#7 Soflason, Dec 24, 2014
    Tesla Model S P85D vs Lamborghini Aventador Race

8. Thud

Thud Member

#8 Thud, Dec 24, 2014
    I don't think mods will be that easy. If it were, Steve Saleen would have been able to do more than just different gears. You'll be running into the laws of physics very quickly-- the P85D is already maxing out the battery. New inverter won't help, aside from being a fire hazard.

The best you could do is reduce weight, but Tesla has already done a fine job of that too. So you'd need to strip out the interior and back seats.

9. GSP

GSP Member

I appreciate the note in the video that street racing is illegal, and "save it for the racetrack."

Street racing is also dangerous, and not not only to participants.

This video shoud have been done on a racetrack. Many dragstrips offer low entry fees for weeknight "grudge races." This is a needed public service to provide a venue for races like this one.

GSP

10. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

60 foot times for the Lambo (using launch control) and the P85D please...... Drag Times is missing timing slips :(

11. SBR

SBR Member

Guys the aventador is slower because launch control was not activated. I have both cars and can assure you the aventador is faster, quicker, (and more violent ) off the line

12. darthy001

darthy001 Love my car, hope Tesla can get as great!

The video is actual made by tmc-member regoapps, and both the cars are his I believe. He posted the video in another thread and now we have at least to threads reposting a reposting from dragtimes:wink:

13. muleferg

muleferg Member

"Arguably the most controversial law/penalty enacted by California is the seizure and crushing of vehicles found to be illegal street racing."

How much is aluminum a lb worth today? :love:

14. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

That was impressive. What's more the P85D's performance wont be fully enabled for a few more months (to be sure, I don't know if it would affect what was tested in the video).

From Tesla's website (very bottom of Model S order page):

"The P85D top speed is currently electronically-limited to 130 mph. In the coming months, we will be able to upgrade the car free of charge to enable a 155 mph top speed. This free update will be available for the lifetime of the car (not limited to the first owner). Additionally, an over-the-air firmware upgrade to the power electronics will improve P85D performance at high speed above what anyone outside Tesla has experienced to date. In other words, the car will be better than you experienced. This free upgrade will be rolled out in the next few months, once full validation is complete."

15. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

#15 SteveG3, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    removing basically double post given that threads have merged.

16. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I was going to mention the same thing. Tesla actually haven't released all the performance in the top end yet. According to the recent Motor Trend test, the top end of the P85D in the current iteration is quite similar to the P85+. Most of the change is in the 0-30mph. Supposedly the new update will also improve top end performance.

17. Olle

Olle Member

I am sure there is a lot more power to get from the cells, but the pack probably needs re-engineering with beefier electronics and maybe better cooling.
    There are Li Ion batteries made for much higher power already. If you swap the 85 kwH pack for 850 of these puppies:
    Amazon.com: Trakpower LiPo 4S 14.8V 6700mAh 90C Hard Case Battery (Deans): Toys Games
    you get 85 kWh, almost the same weight 1300 Lbs and, wait for it... 10000 hp!
    But for more power you need bigger inverters and motors too

18. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

picking my car up tomorrow morning!

19. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Very good news :)

20. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

85 cents a pound