Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85d vs Long Range Plus. Will I miss the performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought a P85d in October 2018 with 30k miles, it’s got 102k now. I drive about 120 miles a day at least.

Since the raven came out I’ve been thinking about how great the raven suspension must be since 90% or more of my miles are highway miles. In addition to the suspension I’ve never been a fan of my current seats and much prefer my wife’s model 3 seats.

The 400 mile range is just icing on the cake.
Batterygate/chargegate aren’t helping the cause either. I am down to 205 miles displayed which in real life translates to 155ish. Yesterday I charged to 98% and went down to 2%. 153 miles. 51kWh. Unbelievable!!

After batterygate and charge gate I thought I wouldn’t give Tesla another penny but can’t see myself being happy driving anything other than a Tesla!

My concern is dropping the performance aspect of the vehicle.

Has anyone went from performance to non performance?

I do enjoy the hard launches obviously but feel they are just a party trick. There was talk of the model 3 LR vs performance having the same numbers past 50mph or so. Does this hold true to the model s as well? I’ve never been too thrilled with the performance of the performance on the highway. I’d hate to take an even bigger hit with the Long Range Plus. I think this will More so effect my choice than the the range. While 150 is adequate for my daily driving and is painful on long trips that require not-so-super-supercharging the daily performance is what keeps me hooked!

I suppose the real question here is has anyone switched from performance to non performance? Are you happy you did it? Would you do it again? Does anyone have power charts showing P85d vs LR+. My droves consist of more than just 0-60. We all know how those numbers look.

I appreciate any input.

Reactions: StoicKiwi
Though I have yet to be hit by batterygate, I have a feeling it may only be a matter of time. I, too, wonder if I'd miss the performance version. I think I would. Before I bought my car, I went to the local SC and test drove a LR model S. It was the only S they had to demo. I'd already driven my friend's M3P which gave me an idea of what the performance of a P85DL would be, but I wanted to see what the larger car and dual displays felt like. The LR was nice and still quick, but obviously not quite as fast. That said, check the 0-60 times of your car now and see how they compare to a newer non-performance S. You may find that they are now closer than you think with a voltage limited battery and 100k on the clock.

Also, the performance drops considerably with the SoC. With a charge at 90% or higher, my P85DL will put out over 500hp as indicated by SMT, but at 20% SoC, it's below 400. A newer car with a bigger pack will have a higher SoC for longer, and may perform similarly to an older performance car for more of its charge cycle.

Does your car have the + suspension? I have a feeling if I ever get a newer S, it will need to have the adaptive suspension as I love the ride and handling the + suspension provides.

Reactions: davidc18
With degradation that bad, I would just run an endless loop of launches and supercharging and leave it at 100% for a few weeks until it gives up the ghost.

Lol. Unfortunately Tesla gets the last say if your battery is covered under warranty. I believe people have been denied warranty claims due to abuse of battery. I suggest one shouldn’t try this method.

If my battery was still at the promised 253 or even 5-10% loss I would still be a happy camper.

Though I have yet to be hit by batterygate, I have a feeling it may only be a matter of time. I, too, wonder if I'd miss the performance version. I think I would. Before I bought my car, I went to the local SC and test drove a LR model S. It was the only S they had to demo. I'd already driven my friend's M3P which gave me an idea of what the performance of a P85DL would be, but I wanted to see what the larger car and dual displays felt like. The LR was nice and still quick, but obviously not quite as fast. That said, check the 0-60 times of your car now and see how they compare to a newer non-performance S. You may find that they are now closer than you think with a voltage limited battery and 100k on the clock.

Also, the performance drops considerably with the SoC. With a charge at 90% or higher, my P85DL will put out over 500hp as indicated by SMT, but at 20% SoC, it's below 400. A newer car with a bigger pack will have a higher SoC for longer, and may perform similarly to an older performance car for more of its charge cycle.

Does your car have the + suspension? I have a feeling if I ever get a newer S, it will need to have the adaptive suspension as I love the ride and handling the + suspension provides.

Again the 0-60 times are not my biggest concern. It’s the whole power band that I am more interested in. I do 90% highway driving. Over taking power at highway speeds is more my fancy.

I don’t have the + suspension but I do have air suspension which is now standard and much improved in all ravens. The improved suspension is one of my main reasons for the itch to upgrade.

I've owned both, several now in fact. I like the Performance cars but the difference (especially on the new ones) is only a few tenths from 0-60 which is something you don't do every time anyway. When you first get the car you pretty much use it at every stoplight. But that wears off and you only do it occasionally. You know what does affect your daily usage? The range. The amount of range determines how often you charge, power output (based on SoC) and how far you can go. All things equal (as in same battery pack) that 30ish miles (or more on newer versions) difference is noticeable. Since things can't be compared in a vacuum it means that you'll also probably be able to get more car for your money going non-P.

If I'm buying used (which I do exclusively) I can go either way depending on the car or what I'm looking for. I'm lucky though in that we have a need for two vehicles so I have a Performance car that most gets putted around town so range is a non-factor. My wife gets a non-P car for her daily commutes around town and when we go on road trips we take that one. So it's the best of both worlds. I say do that... get one of each. ROFL

If you're shopping new, a fun exercise is to compare a new Model S LR to a 2015 Model S P85D. Drop the total range next to the rated 0-60 times (also look at the real world numbers for funsies) and finally the MSRP of both and prepare to be floored at what Tesla has done in only 5 years. It's pretty remarkable actually. That doesn't even take into account all of the other advancements they've made on the cars in other areas. IMO that LR Model S is the value leader in a big way.

The 0-60 times from a new MS LR compared to earlier P models isn't super large, but the new MS P/Ludicrous is a lot faster at 2.3 vs 3.7. I had a non-P 100D, now have a P MY, that will end up as my spouse's car. I'm also trying to decide whether I want 400 mile range or 350 range plus really fast acceleration. It's a hard call, even not considering the extra cost.
[edit, I may wait and see what happens over the next several months about S/X refresh and new battery packs, if that happens. The range of the new P cars may be 400. Of course, I suspect the price difference between the P and non-P ones will be more than the $20,000 it is now.]

I've owned both, several now in fact. I like the Performance cars but the difference (especially on the new ones) is only a few tenths from 0-60 which is something you don't do every time anyway. When you first get the car you pretty much use it at every stoplight. But that wears off and you only do it occasionally. You know what does affect your daily usage? The range. The amount of range determines how often you charge, power output (based on SoC) and how far you can go. All things equal (as in same battery pack) that 30ish miles (or more on newer versions) difference is noticeable. Since things can't be compared in a vacuum it means that you'll also probably be able to get more car for your money going non-P.

If I'm buying used (which I do exclusively) I can go either way depending on the car or what I'm looking for. I'm lucky though in that we have a need for two vehicles so I have a Performance car that most gets putted around town so range is a non-factor. My wife gets a non-P car for her daily commutes around town and when we go on road trips we take that one. So it's the best of both worlds. I say do that... get one of each. ROFL

If you're shopping new, a fun exercise is to compare a new Model S LR to a 2015 Model S P85D. Drop the total range next to the rated 0-60 times (also look at the real world numbers for funsies) and finally the MSRP of both and prepare to be floored at what Tesla has done in only 5 years. It's pretty remarkable actually. That doesn't even take into account all of the other advancements they've made on the cars in other areas. IMO that LR Model S is the value leader in a big way.

Get one of each....LOL. That would be nice!
A few tenths 0-60 I don't believe is accurate. You are looking at 2.3 vs 3.7....that's about 40% faster....that is MASSIVE!!!
Also miles we are looking at 350 vs 400....13% more range....not as impressive anymore but yes every mile counts with EVs.

The 0-60 times from a new MS LR compared to earlier P models isn't super large, but the new MS P/Ludicrous is a lot faster at 2.3 vs 3.7. I had a non-P 100D, now have a P MY, that will end up as my spouse's car. I'm also trying to decide whether I want 400 mile range or 350 range plus really fast acceleration. It's a hard call, even not considering the extra cost.
[edit, I may wait and see what happens over the next several months about S/X refresh and new battery packs, if that happens. The range of the new P cars may be 400. Of course, I suspect the price difference between the P and non-P ones will be more than the $20,000 it is now.]

That's a whole other factor to think about is battery day, but with Tesla unfortunately that will always be the case. There is always something better right around the corner. But with today's Model S it is amazing what you get for 75k. And of course what your getting for another 20k is mind blowing but still its 20k....that's a pretty penny!

Reactions: mmanner
When mentioning a few tenths, I think he was referring to the P85D which when new was advertised as 3.2 0-60. With the age of the battery in play it is likely well above that. I saw a video from Drag Times that showed a 2017 P100D with 100k miles that couldnt beat a P3D in a drag race. With that said coming from that vehicle you may not really feel much of a difference.

I have owned both a Raven Performance Model S as well as a LR Raven. The performance difference is massive when comparing those two cars but I assume its also massive comparing a 2015 P100D with 100k miles vs the 2020 Raven Performance and would be a wash with the Raven MS LR.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4
When mentioning a few tenths, I think he was referring to the P85D which when new was advertised as 3.2 0-60. With the age of the battery in play it is likely well above that. I saw a video from Drag Times that showed a 2017 P100D with 100k miles that couldnt beat a P3D in a drag race. With that said coming from that vehicle you may not really feel much of a difference.

I have owned both a Raven Performance Model S as well as a LR Raven. The performance difference is massive when comparing those two cars but I assume its also massive comparing a 2015 P100D with 100k miles vs the 2020 Raven Performance and would be a wash with the Raven MS LR.

Makes sense.
Although a 2015 P100D not beating a Raven MS LR by a substantial amount?! That's insane.
I feel the P85D has held up well in the power department but I have no number to prove anything. I'll do a couple launches here and report back.

I might have seen the same you did. While the PM3 did finish before the P100D. It was only due to reaction time, not due to the car being slower.
11.0 vs 11.6

Makes sense.
Although a 2015 P100D not beating a Raven MS LR by a substantial amount?! That's insane.
I feel the P85D has held up well in the power department but I have no number to prove anything. I'll do a couple launches here and report back.

My P85DL which made 458KW when new is down to 443K after 115K miles. So pretty small decline. About 5% degradation in range (253 down to 239).

Of course it helps that I'm still on V8.1:D

Makes sense.

ScanMyTesla will record 0-60 times and your kw/hp output. You can't go back in time, but you can at least create a current benchmark.

I might have seen the same you did. While the PM3 did finish before the P100D. It was only due to reaction time, not due to the car being slower.
11.0 vs 11.6

Point being, the P3D still wasn't walked like it would if the MS had less usage. Also keep in mind we are talking about going from a 2015 P85DL not a 2019 P100D. If I had my guess a P85D with 100K miles would be running more of a 3.5 0-60 while the Raven LR is 3.7 or faster. I ran a 3.67(with rollout) in a 2020 MS LR with a passenger at 69% SOC according to my dragy.

Bottom line is, I'm saying the OP would be just as happy :)

Here is the video btw:

Makes sense.

Also in my previous post. I meant a 2015 P85D with 100k miles

Here is a 2020 Raven MS LR with 2 passengers at 69% SOC to compare. It was a pretty windy day(20-30mph) and I was driving into the wind so I can try to get another run this weekend. Also not trying to argue with anyone, just want to be helpful :)

IMG_7118.png

Last edited:
I went from a 2016 P100DL back to my 2014 85 and I do not miss the fast launches that much. If I could trade it for a current Long Range with 400 miles of range, I would do it instantly. However, I am actually leaning for the Model Y LR as I love CUVs.

Brent

I’d recommend driving your car to the nearest service center with a LR S (non P) drive your car hard. Then test drive the LR S hard and see personally I can feel a huge difference in corners. Could partly be my tires as well. I can take a corner in my car and it feels very planted. I didn’t get that feeling in the non P LR.

My P85DL which made 458KW when new is down to 443K after 115K miles. So pretty small decline. About 5% degradation in range (253 down to 239).

Of course it helps that I'm still on V8.1:D

@sorka no one wants to hear from you! Your just hurting feelings! LOL!

Point being, the P3D still wasn't walked like it would if the MS had less usage. Also keep in mind we are talking about going from a 2015 P85DL not a 2019 P100D. If I had my guess a P85D with 100K miles would be running more of a 3.5 0-60 while the Raven LR is 3.7 or faster. I ran a 3.67(with rollout) in a 2020 MS LR with a passenger at 69% SOC according to my dragy.

Bottom line is, I'm saying the OP would be just as happy :)

Here is the video btw:

MS LR+ is really starting to call my name.....

Also in my previous post. I meant a 2015 P85D with 100k miles

Here is a 2020 Raven MS LR with 2 passengers at 69% SOC to compare. It was a pretty windy day(20-30mph) and I was driving into the wind so I can try to get another run this weekend. Also not trying to argue with anyone, just want to be helpful :)

View attachment 567266

No arguments needed. This forum is very helpful and I appreciate everyones input. This forum actually helped me decide on a p85d as my first Tesla, I am glad I didn't go with the 85. Now I am always feening for speed like a crack addict!

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18 and sorka
I’d recommend driving your car to the nearest service center with a LR S (non P) drive your car hard. Then test drive the LR S hard and see personally I can feel a huge difference in corners. Could partly be my tires as well. I can take a corner in my car and it feels very planted. I didn’t get that feeling in the non P LR.

Do you have the + suspension? I do not. I do have air suspension though. I am usually a highway cruiser which people have been raving about in the raven, haven't heard how it does spirited before yourself.