Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85d vs Long Range Plus. Will I miss the performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have a really good point about the tires. The MS P will have much sticker tires making cornering better, etc. That is one of the first things I did to my 2020 LR since I had my old Raven Performance tires around. I also set the suspension and steering to Sport. The car will feel much better in the canyons but this of course will be at the cost of range. I will likely swap to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ to kind of split the difference. For spirited driving the stock tires on the LR in 19" configuration are garbage. For highway they are fine.
Interesting comment on the tires. I run a 2020 MS LR with 19 inch Slipstreams fitted with the standard Goodyear tires and recently bought a second set of 19 inch Slipstream take-offs from a performance S with Michelin tires for a winter set. Are the stock Michelin’s from a Performance S that much better than the Goodyears? If so I might swap them over.

Last edited:
It really is amazing what Tesla has done in such a short amount of time.

Cheaper. Faster. Longer range.

Mind boggling actually!!
To be fair the original price was over inflated because they could and needed the money.
fitting more batteries in a pack and making the car faster wasn’t exactly rocket science. Impressive? Yes. Mind boggling? Only if you lived under a rock for the last 15 years.

Hey All,

I did some runs today and yes Tesla is underrating the LR+. It seems Tesla is using rollout in the Performance version advertisement and not using rollout for the LR version. So with rollout for an apples to apples comparison I was able to consistently able to get 3.5-3.6 in 0-60. Also I did about 10 runs and it was 95+ degrees outside so toward the end the fan was on and performance started to suffer. In those runs I was still able to achieve sub 3.7 0-60 with rollout. Car was not emptied and had about 400-450lbs of cargo including myself as the driver.

I also did a run for 60-100 for passing power and got 5 and sub 5 seconds(last photos)

Specs:
2020 MS LR
T- Sportline TSS 20x9
245/40/20 Michelin A/S 3+

Weather: Sunny 95degrees Winds 5-10mph

Dragy Results below

5BD8C90D-74A9-4612-B289-E4FC7EBE3A69.png E047BCA1-CA27-4FF6-828D-D581A9DE7EE7.png 54DF3FB6-06A1-4656-A35D-E45F9F82A99F.png 2F13AA4A-AB88-4373-B4D3-693104205D55.png CF8D6D75-D756-4356-BF5A-153B62F50C64.png 9483AE07-DDFC-4820-ABA1-09076F34E239.png

Last edited:
Interesting comment on the tires. I run a 2020 MS LR with 19 inch Slipstreams fitted with the standard Goodyear tires and recently bought a second set of 19 inch Slipstream take-offs from a performance S with Michelin tires for a winter set. Are the stock Michelin’s from a Performance S that much better than the Goodyears? If so I might swap them over.
The stock Michelin tires on the Perfomance 19’s are usually a summer tire. Mine came with Michelin Pilot Sport 4. They will be better than the Goodyear tires in the summer. I would run them now and swap to the Goodyear in the winter for better traction

depends. Which Michelin tire is on the slips? The rwd p85’s back in the day came with Michelin primacy. Fair perf tire. Good in rain. Terrible tread wear. Terrible in the snow.

Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ is a great tire. Better tread life. Better perf tire than the above and def better than the Goodyear’s. Fantastic in the rain. Also terrible in the snow.

either way you go the full answer to your question is yes. They’re they much better perf wise. They used to charge $1500 for 19” same wheels just the Michelin’s over Goodyear’s when you bought the p85.

Here are my results of my 2020 MS Performance with the same exact tire setup on the same road with the same cargo

View attachment 569087 View attachment 569088 View attachment 569090
Did you do 60-100 in the Performance?
What about a quarter mile et and trap speed for the LR MS?

For the OP, I think a 60-130 and quarter mile run using the Raven LR model S would be most beneficial to compare the daily use acceleration of his 100k miles P85D and a new Raven LR model S. I’d be interested too and bet it’s very close, if not being that the Raven is faster.
Personally I have a P100DL model S, and although the acceleration from a standstill is mind blowing, I just don’t use it that much at all, and am thinking that a Raven non-performance model S would be plenty fast on a daily basis use, not to mention the additional 100 miles of driving range (I daily drive and put over 20,000 miles a year on mine)

Easiest way: Menu>Software>Additional Vehicle Information.

If you have it the very first line will say "Air Suspension Type: Plus" of not it will say "Standard" instead of plus or nothing at all if you have coil.

You can also locate the model # information on the shock tower if you're adventurous but this is much easier.

I read somewhere on this site that all P85Ds built after 4/15 do not have the plus. But when I went to these settings it says I do have plus.

I have a 11/15 build.

thanks for the info.