Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85d vs Long Range Plus. Will I miss the performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting results- here are the results from my P 85DL at 94% SOC. Were your batteries fully warmed up, those 0-60 times seem a bit slow...View attachment 569347View attachment 569350

May not have been fully warmed as the external temp was at 63 degrees and I did not wait the full 45 mins for ludicrous+. Also this is with all season tires and not the stock pilot sport or super sports on a regular unprepared surface.

Reactions: byeLT4
Is that how it works I didn’t know that LOL.

Did you watch the video and pay attention to the commentary? Maybe you didn’t, because the model 3 was trying to hit a good reaction to make it close because he knew his car was slower.

So while not bracket racing, it mattered to him who finished first and by how much.

If I was the P100D owner, it’s also not a good look regardless of the time slip.

yeah, I have subscribed to that channel for about 5-6 years. I saw the video when it first 'aired'. Brooks (the guy in teh model 3) had a P100D which he recently traded in for a model Y performance to keep his channel relevant for Tesla folks. He's not thinking he just beat a P100D or that this wasn't a good look for the model S. He knows well and good the Model S is way faster than his model 3.

The only people who think that the model 3 'beat' the model S are people who don't understand the dragstrip, and again does the owner of the $150,000 Model S really care about what they think?

I sold my 2013 P85 and bought a 2020 LR+. My LR+ logs 3.5's 0-60 on Draggy with rollout which is faster than my 2013 P85. For me it was an upgrade on every level! Faster, insane long range, better ride, quieter, vastly improved MCU, Autopilot (Mine did not have it)..the list is actually long but you get the point. I do miss the massive Frunk in the old RWD car.

yeah, I have subscribed to that channel for about 5-6 years. I saw the video when it first 'aired'. Brooks (the guy in teh model 3) had a P100D which he recently traded in for a model Y performance to keep his channel relevant for Tesla folks. He's not thinking he just beat a P100D or that this wasn't a good look for the model S. He knows well and good the Model S is way faster than his model 3.

The only people who think that the model 3 'beat' the model S are people who don't understand the dragstrip, and again does the owner of the $150,000 Model S really care about what they think?

To clarify, yes the P3D would get walked and I know about the trap speeds/times etc. But that 2017 should have run closer to a 10.6 rather than an 11.0 and annihilated the P3D even more. My entire point was based on the convo in this thread, mileage/battery age affect performance so the OP, coming from a 2015 100k mile vehicle, may be pleasantly surprised if he were to drive/purchase a 2020 MS LR. I guess I should not be lazy and expand more when responding :)

@derichio02

Thank you for the wealth of timpe slips! That is exactly what I was looking for.
Tesla is currently looking at my battery but my hopes are not high....normal degradation is what I am expecting to hear.
Would you mind 60-100 runs with all three vehicle just for comparisons sake.
My wife has a Model 3 and it is a great car but I used to think the Model S was not refined....until I drove the Model 3. At highway speeds the wind/road noise is unbearable. She does 0 highway driving so its a great car for her, me being on the highway all the time at 80-85 mph...NO WAY!

Reactions: derichio02
@derichio02

Thank you for the wealth of timpe slips! That is exactly what I was looking for.
Tesla is currently looking at my battery but my hopes are not high....normal degradation is what I am expecting to hear.
Would you mind 60-100 runs with all three vehicle just for comparisons sake.
My wife has a Model 3 and it is a great car but I used to think the Model S was not refined....until I drove the Model 3. At highway speeds the wind/road noise is unbearable. She does 0 highway driving so its a great car for her, me being on the highway all the time at 80-85 mph...NO WAY!
Wouldn't bother me at all. I'd just turn off my hearing aids.

To clarify, yes the P3D would get walked and I know about the trap speeds/times etc. But that 2017 should have run closer to a 10.6 rather than an 11.0 and annihilated the P3D even more. My entire point was based on the convo in this thread, mileage/battery age affect performance so the OP, coming from a 2015 100k mile vehicle, may be pleasantly surprised if he were to drive/purchase a 2020 MS LR. I guess I should not be lazy and expand more when responding :)
it could be as simple as 66% SOC.

I mean how many tracks have a supercharger right near the track? And how many P100D owners (a $125,000 car) live right near a dragstrip? The combination of those facts means Teslas are rarely running full rocket at the strip. The track I used to go to was a good 50 miles from my house and the nearest supercharger was 40 miles from the track. So I could only ever arrive at about 78% of what my old P90D had when it was brand new.

My current P100D would have about 87% on arrival...still not 100% and battery heated.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
it could be as simple as 66% SOC.

I mean how many tracks have a supercharger right near the track? And how many P100D owners (a $125,000 car) live right near a dragstrip? The combination of those facts means Teslas are rarely running full rocket at the strip. The track I used to go to was a good 50 miles from my house and the nearest supercharger was 40 miles from the track. So I could only ever arrive at about 78% of what my old P90D had when it was brand new.

My current P100D would have about 87% on arrival...still not 100% and battery heated.
Some people are hardcore and trailer or have their cars transported on a flatbed. I wouldn’t do that myself, though.

I’m lucky that the 1/4 drag strip is about 5 miles from my house, so I’ve ran at about 98% SOC. There was no decrease in performance until about the 5th run though, where I was down to less than 80% (all runs before that are 10.8’s)
I did a high speed run event (1/2 mile) and mile top speeds did not drop until after 60%Soc- 2014 P85DL

true

some tracks have campgrounds where you could plug in your tesla cable if you have an adapter to the campground standard receptacle whatever that is. but that would get you like 5% / hr..

U.S. and Canada campground power poles usually have 1 of each of these at each powered campsite:
  • 50A / 240V NEMA = 12.0 kW 14-50 outlet (usually standard on Tesla Mobile Connector)
  • 30A / 120V NEMA = 3.6 kW TT-30 outlet (need an adapter to use with Tesla Mobile Connector)
  • 15A / 120V NEMA = 1.8 kW 5-15 outlet (need adapter included in Tesla Mobile Connector bag)
The 50A / 240V NEMA = 12.0 kW is the obvious choice on at a campground and should charge fairly quickly... faster than 5% per hour in my experience unless you're counting the last 10% to 100% SoC.

50A 15-40: 30 mph
50A HPWC: 37 mph
60A HPWC: 44 mph

How fast can a home charge go?

Of course each Tesla model has a maximum charge rate too (32A, 48A, 72A, 80A)... so your actual charge rate will be the LOWER of the power coming in AND the maximum charge rate of your Tesla.

We have a Gen1 Tesla HPWC on a 100A 240V breaker that can charge our 2015 P85D with dual chargers at 80A... but my default charge rate is 50A to keep the HPWC cable and Tesla charge port from getting HOT.

YMMV

4kz1VPEMRVGtLClHItXdKQ_thumb_555c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_557f.jpg

Today’s mountain run update.
96-3%
View attachment 574146

So your maximum charge rate you got after going from 96% to 5% was only 36 kW? OUCH

Only thing I've seen is kW rate is tapered on both ends of the 0% to 100% SoC. Had a guy 3 years ago in a MS70 trying to keep up with our P85D from Las Vegas to the Barstow Supercharger. Saw him in my mirror most of the way but he suddenly slowed down... and came crawling into the Barstow SC at 0%. He plugged in and only got trickle charge on 4 Superchargers then asked me for assistance. I told him I'd heard that Superchargers won't ramp up until they reach a minimum SoC (10% ???)... which he confirmed by phone with Tesla Roadside Assistance. Took 10 to 20 minutes for the kW rate to run up to maximum.

I wonder if you're kW at 5% was designed tapering... or if 35 kW was your max charge rate the entire 5% to 90% recharge?

So your maximum charge rate you got after going from 96% to 5% was only 36 kW? OUCH

Only thing I've seen is kW rate is tapered on both ends of the 0% to 100% SoC. Had a guy 3 years ago in a MS70 trying to keep up with our P85D from Las Vegas to the Barstow Supercharger. Saw him in my mirror most of the way but he suddenly slowed down... and came crawling into the Barstow SC at 0%. He plugged in and only got trickle charge on 4 Superchargers then asked me for assistance. I told him I'd heard that Superchargers won't ramp up until they reach a minimum SoC (10% ???)... which he confirmed by phone with Tesla Roadside Assistance. Took 10 to 20 minutes for the kW rate to run up to maximum.

I wonder if you're kW at 5% was designed tapering... or if 35 kW was your max charge rate the entire 5% to 90% recharge?

should’ve been more clear. this was not a supercharger but chademo.
I was showing the miles and the kWh of the battery used.

• Informative
Reactions: BrokerDon