Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D vs. P85 Efficiency Testing, Take 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be joining you in the no or little improvement category, NOLA_Mike.

I'll write up something more detailed when I have some more time later, but I just didn't want you to think you were all alone. I'm pretty sure you are not.

I have .139, but not .140, and have only taken those two trips with it.

Thanks - misery does love company! :)

wk057 were you going 65mph as well?

Cruise was set at 65. A car passed me and got in front, which made TACC fall back once, but other than that 65.

Fiance got home a little bit ago, topping off her car and the P85D to 95% SoC like last time and preheating as much as possible since we did this with climate off last time too.

Preparation! :D

I got soooo excited about getting .139 and being able to test that I tried installing it out at the hangar while I flew. I got the dreaded Parking Sensors Disabled message and am awaiting correct flashing before testing :( It was my own fault for being impatient. I normally update at night plugged in.

Luckily we have members like WK..

So, everything worked fine last night. Parking sensors, TACC, etc.

Came to find the dreaded "Park assist disabled - Contact Tesla Service" message this morning. May be postponing test if I can't get that to clear.

Edit: My car was plugged in while updating last night, I hit install and left it alone for 90 minutes. All was well on my first test drive last night.

wk,
I read your post above to say you had a fully functional .140 installation THEN got the disabled message? If that is the case, then my error may not be failed flashing related after all.

Yup, everything worked perfectly last night. Got it on video. lol. Car sat for ~12 hours, and now park assist is broken. If cruise control works (doubt it) I may do the test anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

vlcsnap-2015-02-05-12h10m13s229.png

Park assist working last night when I backed in.

CC will work just fine (it does on mine); it is only the ultrasonics that are packed up on my car. The radar works just fine.

Hmm.. might go for it then. I was looking forward to eating at that Japanese place ~45 miles away anyway :p

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to try one last thing, and that is to wait a short time to let the P85D "fall asleep." Seems the slacker bug isn't fixed in this one, so, going to watch my wifi traffic until it falls off then try again.

Cruise was set at 65. A car passed me and got in front, which made TACC fall back once, but other than that 65.

Fiancee got home a little bit ago, topping off her car and the P85D to 95% SoC like last time and preheating as much as possible since we did this with climate off last time too.

Preparation! :D

a) Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. I hope that your fiancee will be arranging it so you can concentrate on the important stuff like Tesla-battery-based solar back-up systems.
b) Given that she's a willing participant in your efficiency tests, I think this marriage is going to work.

Good show

wk057 thanks for doing all the testing, I am currently overseas until March and my wife has been driving our D. She has been giving me updates on the efficiency improvements since .139 and now .140. She drove from Destin to Panama City (130 miles rt) and back and averaged 310wh/mi yesterday. She is doing it again today with Range mode on. Very exciting. Nice job.

Howinhades do you have time to eat, let alone go to a restaurant 45 miles away, when yer suppozd to be finishing that magnificent PV-battery system for us all to drool over?

Arrived for lunch. P85... 325 Wh/mi. P85D...... drum roll...... more suspense.......... 326 Wh/mi.

So close!

The P85D seems to definitely win on the highway. The acceleration getting up to speed seems to skew against the P85D a hair, then move back in favor at constant speed.

My final crunch of the data later will help.

At this point.... too close to call, but already 15+% better than the first side by side for the P85D.

Good result.

Arrived for lunch. P85... 325 Wh/mi. P85D...... drum roll...... more suspense.......... 326 Wh/mi.

So close!

The P85D seems to definitely win on the highway. The acceleration getting up to speed seems to skew against the P85D a hair, then move back in favor at constant speed.

My final crunch of the data later will help.

At this point.... too close to call, but already 15+% better than the first side by side for the P85D.

Good result.
Any chance you could do a screen shot of the 30 mile energy screen in both cars? Wouldn't that show the difference in Hwy / non-Hwy energy draw?