TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85D vs P85 wh/mi

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by nwdiver, Dec 22, 2014.

1. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Does anyone have any real world #s yet? Is the P85D really ~10% more efficient?

2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

There's some discussion of this going on in the P85D delivery and tracking thread. Some preliminary numbers seem to indicate that not only is the P85D not more efficient but it may be significantly less efficient.

3. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

#3 ChadS, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    Like everything else, it depends on how you drive it.

It's heavier. If you drive it more around town, it will be less efficient. That does not contradict anything Tesla has said, though I have seen a few people confused by it.

Tesla says it is geared better though (the advantage of having two motors, so they can have two gears) so it will be slightly more efficient on the highway. Their past claims on efficiency have been right on the mark, so I don't see any reason to doubt them on this one. The EPA numbers bear that out too. (Though I guess I should get over there and read the delivery thread).

It's really, really hard to get an idea of small efficiency differences from anecdotal reports because there are so many factors (especially when it's already known to be more or less efficient depending on some of those factors). Ambient temperature, humidity, starting SOC, starting vehicle temperature, wind, cargo, wheel size, type of tire, newness of tire, driving surface, how fast you accelerate, how much you have to slow down for traffic, etc. I once tried doing some runs exactly the same (same route back-to-back in the same car, after warming up) but my efficiency varied by a few percent. A couple of anecdotes showing it to be worse don't help. Though a slew of such anecdotes, without anybody getting higher efficiency, sure would make it worth checking out.

4. Andyw2100

Yes, you should get over to the other thread. At least one of the posters did a controlled loop, back to back, with his P85D and his P85. I think the results indicated the P85D was 6% less efficient. I realize it's a sample size of one, but even so.

The other poster didn't have quite as objective data, but seemed equally convinced based on comparison to his experiences with his P85.

It's a huge thread. The post numbers I'm referring to are 3250, 3266, and 3285, and others around those.

5. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

LOL... mods are asleep at the switch... never would have expected an efficiency discussion on a delivery thread :confused:

6. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

#6 stevezzzz, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    Yeah, I'm hoping the mods move the efficiency reports over here and that people start using this thread for the discussion, instead of the delivery thread.

[update:] There's another thread already exploring this question: P85D range and highway battery performance - Page 2

Mods: time to consolidate?

7. Andyw2100

The mods have been pretty lenient with respect to not pulling too much out of the delivery thread, as it has become a pretty broad thread for those of us awaiting and now receiving our P85Ds. The efficiency discussion stemmed from reports of initial thoughts on picking up the cars.

I can see the argument for moving posts, but I could also see why the mods might choose to want to leave that thread as is.

8. bluenation

bluenation Member

look at the damn thread title, guys.

talking about range efficiency is a natural progression of this topic. and a very important one. Spinning it off to a new thread makes for heavy handed, unnatural flow of a very crucial discussion that many people are interested in.

9. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

My suggestion was intended to consolidate multiple existing threads all discussing the same topic, not to start a new thread. There's no question that it is an important topic to many people, including me; I think it makes sense to have one discussion rather than several.

10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

My lifetime average consumption in my P85 is 295 Wh/mi. It was 292, but I recently took a 1,500 mile road trip where I drove in a very spirited manner. :)

11. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Wow... that's pretty good; Mine is consistently 320-330 over ~60k miles.

12. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

295 wH/mi? Wow. That's impressive. Mine was 357 after 18k+ miles. P85+ was too much fun.

13. dennis

dennis P85D

Lifetime avg for my P85+ is 404 wh/mi after 19K miles of spirited driving.:biggrin: