Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D vs P85DL Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

I thought it might be interesting to report my experience thus far.

I drove 21,000 miles with my P85D and had lifetime 321 Wh/mi.

I have now driven 4,000 miles with my P85DL and have this far 323 Wh/mi.

Overall my driving habits have not changed but:
I most definitely did quite a few launches, just as I did prior to the upgrade.
The major difference probably is that I do have much faster acceleration when passing on two-lane roads, and I do quite a lot of two-lane road driving. There also was about half of the driving since the upgrade with much colder temperatures than had been typical during the P85D days; nothing dramatic but temperatures of 45-50 F vs my typical >70 F. Otherwise the conditions have been pretty much apples to apples.

Thus my conclusion thus far is that the extra performance is, as I use it, essentially free from an energy perspective. I speculate that the simpler and less resistant single smart fuse of the L is a tiny bit more efficient than are the older multiple fuses, so, assuming one does not regularly use all the extra power it might actually be slightly more efficient. with a 2 Wh/mi difference thus far I am surprised there is really no significant difference between the two.

Have other people noticed the difference? Frankly I noticed mostly because my trip meters were reset to zero when they did the battery pack removal during the upgrade, and my Trip A had been my lifetime tracker.

Reactions: Footbag
Can I ask a related question that I've been curious about -- is there a reason to ever turn OFF Ludicrous mode?

On YouTube, I see people turning it ON before launching. Is that just for effect? Why wouldn't you just leave it on all the time?

Can I ask a related question that I've been curious about -- is there a reason to ever turn OFF Ludicrous mode?

On YouTube, I see people turning it ON before launching. Is that just for effect? Why wouldn't you just leave it on all the time?

My experience is very limited, but I believe it changes the accelerator map a bunch - so leaving the car in sport makes it much more tractable when you don't need all that torque, easier to park or drive in traffic.

• Helpful
Reactions: Alketi

I have currently found no reason to switch out of Ludicrous.

My car stays in Ludicrous, just as it stayed in Insane when it had Insane. I like having the capability of Ludicrous immediately available at my right foot when or if I want or need it.

Switching it on or off takes too much time.

When its on it's very jerky in stop and go traffic. There's lot's of low end power.

My own experience differs, as I've not found this to be the case at all in my own car. There is no jerkiness in stop and go traffic. It's as smooth as silk, but it is "wound up" in the sense that very minimal pedal depression gets it up to speed, and right away. So the perception of pedal position vs speed applies in my own case. Just a little pedal gets it to the speed limit.

With regard to it being jerky in traffic, indeed in my own experience, quite the contrary. I notice no difference between driving constantly in Ludicrous on the street vs driving constantly in Insane on the street, and it makes sense, as they are both about the same up until around 30mph or thereabouts.

My experience is very limited, but I believe it changes the accelerator map a bunch - so leaving the car in sport makes it much more tractable when you don't need all that torque, easier to park or drive in traffic.

As mentioned before, and my own experience is admittedly somewhat limited going into two months with Ludicrous, but having rarely driven the car in Sport, seeing no need to, even when it had Insane, I notice nothing in street manners that are worthy of note aside from the extreme acceleration and over a longer distance and period of time than before.

But my perspective is that of one who rarely put the car in sport mode anyway, and thus my street or daily driver manners comparison is "Insane vs Ludicrous", as I hardly ever used Sport, as opposed to "Sport vs Ludicrous", or even "Sport vs Insane".

Last edited:
Reactions: jbcarioca
I have currently found no reason to switch out of Ludicrous.

... There is no jerkiness in stop and go traffic. It's as smooth as silk, but it is "wound up" in the sense that very minimal pedal depression gets it up to speed, and right away. So the perception of pedal position vs speed applies in my own case...

With regard to it being jerky in traffic, indeed in my own experience, quite the contrary. ...

Agree completely. I sometimes and in L and sometimes S. I do notice the pedal calibration difference, but it is very smooth and easily progressive IME. All in all, if I am using autopilot I tend to stay in S, just to reduce the apparent quickness from a full stop. Even then the difference is not major; when I want Torque Now! L is my choice.:D

I get better efficiency with Ludicrous mode off, so I keep it off. It saves me about 10 - 20 kWh/mi on average. It definitely changes the acceleration map - I have a lead foot, so that's probably where the savings come from.

I also don't see much of a difference in efficiency between Insane and Ludicrous.
In my experience, however, the Sport setting is still better if you drive through hilly terrain compared with I or L, even with Range mode on.