Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D vs P90DL - Questions - Please Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely do not buy an 85 battery pack in 2020.

Tesla is removing range and limiting supercharging speeds.

You're absolutely right. I get about 100 miles driving when keeping between 10% and 90% charge. Also the speed of supercharging has slowed down tremendously. Now it takes 1h10 min to charge from 10-90% and before it took about 55 min.

Sounds like you got lucky. For now.

All 85 packs are subject to batterygate and chargegate.

Advising a new owner to purchase one is disingenuous.
I have a 2015 P85DL, range is still 224 at 90%, which is what it has been charged to every day since new. Haven't supercharged in a long time so don't know if that's been capped. The only issue is that the coolant pumps run almost all the time when at 90%, cooling the battery to the point where I have limited regen for the first minute or two of driving in 70F weather. I lowered my daily charging to 214 miles which helps with the cooling pumps running.

Last edited:
I just bought a 2015 P85D. I've only super charged it enough to know that it does supercharge so I can't comment on the speed of that. As far as the overall capacity, I have it set to charge to 80% and based on that charge, it says the range is 200. That extrapolates to a range of 250 which is only 3 miles off the EPA rating. The car has about 45k miles.

I just bought a 2015 P85D. I've only super charged it enough to know that it does supercharge so I can't comment on the speed of that. As far as the overall capacity, I have it set to charge to 80% and based on that charge, it says the range is 200. That extrapolates to a range of 250 which is only 3 miles off the EPA rating. The car has about 45k miles.
How many kWh were you pulling during those sessions?

And the dash may *display* 200 miles at 80%, but what are you *really* getting?

Don’t trust Tesla’s math.

Well there are two things there. On day 1 of the car's life, the rated miles are going to be optimistic relative to how I, or anyone buying a P85D, drive it.

I believe its stated range takes into account battery degradation but not lead feet. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

Here's an example more to your point. According to google maps I semi-recently drove about 70 miles and according to my EVSE after the trip it took 41KWh which works out to 561Wh/mile. That doesn't tell you anything about degradation, just that I have a lead foot.

Another example that might show degradation is that when I bought the car, the battery was very low so to get home, I drove it very conservatively, drive mode on chill, range mode on, and keeping it under 65. When I got home the range was lower by very close to exactly the number of miles that I had driven. My memory is a bit foggy but I want to say I got it home with like 5% left on the battery and that I then charged it to 80%. That charging session consumed 55KWh. If we assume that actual energy and battery percentages are linear then that means 55KWh represents 75% of the battery which means the battery's capacity is just 75KWh now. That's really worst case scenario because I don't trust my memory of getting home with 5% that much, I don't think the battery percentage is linear with actual energy, and I know that the EVSE number includes electrical losses and auxiliary cooling that doesn't go into the battery.

Well there are two things there. On day 1 of the car's life, the rated miles are going to be optimistic relative to how I, or anyone buying a P85D, drive it.

I believe its stated range takes into account battery degradation but not lead feet. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

Here's an example more to your point. According to google maps I semi-recently drove about 70 miles and according to my EVSE after the trip it took 41KWh which works out to 561Wh/mile. That doesn't tell you anything about degradation, just that I have a lead foot.

Another example that might show degradation is that when I bought the car, the battery was very low so to get home, I drove it very conservatively, drive mode on chill, range mode on, and keeping it under 65. When I got home the range was lower by very close to exactly the number of miles that I had driven. My memory is a bit foggy but I want to say I got it home with like 5% left on the battery and that I then charged it to 80%. That charging session consumed 55KWh. If we assume that actual energy and battery percentages are linear then that means 55KWh represents 75% of the battery which means the battery's capacity is just 75KWh now. That's really worst case scenario because I don't trust my memory of getting home with 5% that much, I don't think the battery percentage is linear with actual energy, and I know that the EVSE number includes electrical losses and auxiliary cooling that doesn't go into the battery.
Checkout the batterygate/chargegate thread to find out how to properly calculate degradation.

Supercharging speed is obvious and can just be read from the screen.

you're speaking about cars in general, who's going to buy a car and drive it at 55mph or whatever the EPA rating is based off of to get the rated range/mpg?

any model tesla rarely gets the rated range if youre driving like a normal person/spiritedly. the ones that are closet are the model 3 and raven cars because of the new motor

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
you're speaking about cars in general, who's going to buy a car and drive it at 55mph or whatever the EPA rating is based off of to get the rated range/mpg?

any model tesla rarely gets the rated range if youre driving like a normal person/spiritedly. the ones that are closet are the model 3 and raven cars because of the new motor
I’m not talking about rated range. I’m talking about whether or not OP is suffers from batterygate capping.

Please try and keep up.

Some more anecdotal information.

My 56k mile P85DL has an extrapolated full charge range of 247. Not bad, I'd say. The last time I charged to 100% was on Christmas Eve and it had no problem getting there at home.

I haven't supercharged since February, and that was at an urban supercharger (max 72kw) in Philadelphia. I started off at 72kw and it gradually tapered down below 19kw as I approached 90%. That seems normal.

Supercharging speed is a double edged sword. In most cases where I supercharge, I stop to get food and take a bio break, so I actually want some time before the car is fully charged. While I was in Philly, the long charge time gave me a chance to walk to Reading Terminal Market and get lunch, then try out some samples from some of the vendors there. Had my car charged in 40 minutes and not an hour, I couldn't have done this without going to move my car or pay an idling fee ($10-$20). Obviously there are other times where I or others don't need/want to spend an hour charging. They just want to get back on the road. This is where having maximum charging speed helps.

I think the true advantage of supercharging is just that the stations exist at all and make interstate travel much easier / possible than with other DC fast charging stations that may not be deployed yet.