Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D vs S85D for test drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, going tomorrow to lock in before the price increase. We are unsure yet if we want the 85D or 70D but we asked to take the 85 tomorrow to feel the difference in power, was told they had a P85D but they would leave it in sport mode and it will be the same as long as we leave the insane mode? Is this correct? Will the specs be the same as the 85D? It's a big jump for us but we love driving and think we may actually enjoy the power difference from a 70D to the 85D if its really noticeable.

If you enjoy driving, get the biggest battery you can afford. You will drive a whole lot more than you do now. The 85 is plenty fast. Unless you're doing a demo you never need all that power. No one ever regrets getting the bigger battery.

I've driven all three models in the summer (70D, 85D, and P85D). The power difference between each one was very significant. Although the difference between the 85D and P85D in sport mode was very close. I eventually chose to get the 90D model because it had in my opinion the best bang for the buck in performance and range. I'm a performance junkie with my two previous cars being a 2013 GTR and 2008 V8 M3, and I'm more than satisfied with the power of the 85D/90D. The 70D on the other hand was noticeably slower. To me the price difference between the 70D and the 85D is worth it on the power difference alone, but since I also got significantly more range, it was a no brainer.

But one decision I'm having second thoughts about is the decision to upgrade the battery to 90KW. My brother got an 85D shortly after I got mine and the range difference between our two cars is only about 18km. I'm not convinced the extra $3400+ is worth it especially considering there is no performance improvement. I'd rather put that money towards any of the factory options before upgrading the battery.

I've driven all three models in the summer (70D, 85D, and P85D). The power difference between each one was very significant. Although the difference between the 85D and P85D in sport mode was very close. I eventually chose to get the 90D model because it had in my opinion the best bang for the buck in performance and range. I'm a performance junkie with my two previous cars being a 2013 GTR and 2008 V8 M3, and I'm more than satisfied with the power of the 85D/90D. The 70D on the other hand was noticeably slower. To me the price difference between the 70D and the 85D is worth it on the power difference alone, but since I also got significantly more range, it was a no brainer.

But one decision I'm having second thoughts about is the decision to upgrade the battery to 90KW. My brother got an 85D shortly after I got mine and the range difference between our two cars is only about 18km. I'm not convinced the extra $3400+ is worth it especially considering there is no performance improvement. I'd rather put that money towards any of the factory options before upgrading the battery.

All the info was greatly appreciated. Had our second visit with Aaron at Tesla Lawrence and signed up for 85D. Super excited! They have been great thus far to deal with. Unlike any other buying experience we have ever done!

Congrats....85D def the way to go if it's in your price bracket....what colour and options? I'd go AP and pano for sure, others aren't necessary IMHO.

We went white with piano black, panorama roof, luxury package, winter package, rear 3rd row. And that's about it. I wanted the AP but wife is not comfortable with it. Because it can be ordered later we decided not to get it now. Originally we where looking at the 70D but even on a limited budget we felt the range and performance difference where worth the price. We are out a ways in th country and don't want range anxiety.

We went white with piano black, panorama roof, luxury package, winter package, rear 3rd row. And that's about it. I wanted the AP but wife is not comfortable with it. Because it can be ordered later we decided not to get it now. Originally we where looking at the 70D but even on a limited budget we felt the range and performance difference where worth the price. We are out a ways in th country and don't want range anxiety.

Those are good options. I would also recommend the Next Gen Seats (unless you prefer cloth over leather). Smart to order the Premium Package with the Third Row, because your kids can have their own switch to open and close the hatch.

"Wife is not comfortable with ap".

Good grief. Get the ap. You will ultimately get marital credit for having backbone and for being wise.