Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D w/Ludicrous, fully loaded $99k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
*** NO LONGER FOR SALE ***

Hello!

For reasons I may explain later on, I have a short term incentive to sell my P85D.

As of right now that car has 34,248 miles. 100% charge is 245 miles (which is down only 2 miles from the 247 EPA rating at delivery). Original blue.

Full VIN: 5YJSA1H24EFP64184

I will post some photos later on if there's interest, but I think we all know what Teslas look like these days.

Here is the sheet from my original order:
p85dsheet.jpg

Some bullet points:
  • Added the Ludicrous upgrade ($5k)
  • LTE retrofit ($500)
  • Only option available at the time that the car doesn't have is the rear facing seats.
  • Autopilot (included in Tech Package when I ordered)
  • December 2014 delivery (just before Christmas, so about 2 years now)
  • Has front AND REAR next gen seats
  • P85+ type suspension with staggered stance
  • Have annual service contract with Tesla and have done the first two services
  • No major component failures or warranty work

Believe it or not, this car isn't actually modified at all besides some software mods (rooted, disable autopilot restrictions) and adding a dash cam. Either or both can be left as is or reverted per buyer's preference. This car is still under warranty and fully supported by Tesla (still gets updates, warranty work, etc).

The car is in excellent condition. 100% garage kept in Hickory, NC. As some here may already be aware the car was involved in a minor accident several months ago. All was repaired by a Tesla Certified Body Shop, and everything was restored back to perfect condition. I showed the repaired areas to a gentleman I know who works in repair of high end vehicles and he could not tell the car had been repaired. Realistically, it wasn't even a repair. It was just replacing of the damaged body panels with brand new ones.

I recently got a trade-in estimate from Tesla where they accounted for all of the above and they valued the car at $101k.

Anyway, I'll entertain reasonable offers for a bit here and go from there. I'd have to sell the car within the next week or so (or have a solid arrangement in place at least)... or at worst before the end of the year, for this to make any sense on my end.

Would make a great holiday gift for someone! :D

---

Dug out some photos. I actually don't take many pictures of the car these days. lol.

p85dA.jpg

p85dB.jpg

p85dC.jpg

---

Got a couple of questions for clarification already privately. Here are my replies:

• This is the original darker blue, yeah. Looks an awesome blue in sunlight, and near black at night.
  • This car came from the factory with the next gen seats, one of the first ever.
  • The Ludicrous retrofit was offered as a $5k service to P85D owners who purchased before the announcement of the Ludicrous option. This was officially done by Tesla.
  • The LTE retrofit was an official paid upgrade from Tesla for cars that shipped with a 3G modem.

Last edited:
I hope you don't think this question is unreasonable but why sell it for less than what tesla is giving you?

Not only are they giving you more money but also the ease of trading a car in rather than dealing with private parties.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I hope you don't think this question is unreasonable but why sell it for less than what tesla is giving you?

Not only are they giving you more money but also the ease of trading a car in rather than dealing with private parties.

They wouldn't. The trade payment is less than what they value it at, so splitting the difference here basically.

Edit: And probably more importantly, trading in doesn't make sense since I'm not buying another new Tesla.

I've had a few people asking me why I'd sell the P85D and not the P85 that I have retrofitted with autopilot. I'll c/p my response here:

honestly, a few reasons. the biggest being that I'd rather not sell the P85 since it's now heavily modified. I would rather keep that one in the family, per se. Last thing I need is someone to buy it, die while doing something stupid while using autopilot, and then somehow it come back to me for retrofitting it.

My P85D has basically no modifications of consequence, so, no real liability there.

I've had a few people asking me why I'd sell the P85D and not the P85 that I have retrofitted with autopilot. I'll c/p my response here:

honestly, a few reasons. the biggest being that I'd rather not sell the P85 since it's now heavily modified. I would rather keep that one in the family, per se. Last thing I need is someone to buy it, die while doing something stupid while using autopilot, and then somehow it come back to me for retrofitting it.

My P85D has basically no modifications of consequence, so, no real liability there.

Wise decision - this could be a huge liability - you could buy the full Autopilot Level 5 when it becomes available in a few years!

Had a few people interested because of my note about disabled autopilot restrictions.

Currently I have two restrictions disabled: +5 MPH speed limit rule on non-highway; Hands-on requirement. Basically I get no nags ever unless the car has no data to go on, in which case it goes to take over immediately. Other than that I can let autopilot remain enabled once enabled and never be asked to hold the wheel.

Reactions: JPUConn
Got a couple more questions privately... you know, you guys can just post here and I don't have to duplicate info. hehe

Anyway...

Yes, I am entertaining best offers. (Thought I mentioned that in the first post.)

Yes, I probably will withdraw the sale listing if an arrangement hasn't begun within the next couple of weeks. Nothing nefarious here, but personal reasons.

Omg wk057 you probably just scared a bunch of folks with your statement that you're not getting another Tesla, so please tell us about the

concerning your decision to sell your P85DL.

Are you really done tinkering now?

Not done tinkering. As far as buying another Tesla, what I said was that I'm not trading a car in... I didn't exactly say I'm not buying another Tesla... I'm just not buying another new Tesla. ;)

That would be really tough to let go of my P85+.. I've done a lot of mods:

Rear Lighted Applique
Front Camera kit
Two-channel dash-cam
Autoflexed
8-year service plan
4-year extended warranty
Un-staggered 21" rims (grey).

We could swap the wheels, but for everything else, I'd have to move all of the mods over, get another full Autoflex, and re-purchase the ESA and service plan.

I've always said that I'll drive this car for many more year before I upgrade, so I get the benefit of years of more advances and innovation before jumping in again. As much as I want a D car with the + suspension and next gen seats, it still has the same 85kwh battery (I'm getting 250 miles@100% on mine, with slightly less mileage).

If I had spare money to just blow, I'd jump on this in an instant.

The funny thing is that I drive down to Conover every August. So close.