Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D: wheel and suspension option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, this is my first post here. I am planning to order a P85D, since it's the only model with next gen seat available (my family find the current rear seat unacceptable).

Planning to get red/black leather seat, tech pack with upgrade sound and pana roof. The only thing I am struggling is the wheel and suspension option. I find the default wheel not attractive enough, but a 21" upgrade seems too costly. For p85d future owners, what are your choice? I have read the using after market wheel might have problem with alignment and warranty, and I heard about all those 19" vs 21" comparison and seems like 19" is a wiser choice. For suspension choice, would there really be a significant difference for air vs coil? From what I have heard, air suspension may lead to a higher maintenance cost.

Thanks for all the advice and feedback!#!

If on-going maintenance cost is your major concern, then consider coils and 19", the tires cost are much cheaper (less than half) than the 21s.

Air would give you a more comfortable ride than the coils but cost around HK$16K each for future replacement. IMO, running cost on 21" is even higher than the Air for long term driving.

But people choosing P85D are usually high demanding, wouldn't mind paying $HK50K more on top of the $900K already, otherwise would have chosen a 60 or 85 instead. I think put it this way is more convincing to make yourself to opt both. :)

Btw, why do you think the next gen back seat is better than the old one? I still doubt the new one would be able to hold my thigh while sitting with my legs angled........ But I did opt the new seat finally and just hope the back seat would have a better thigh support.

If on-going maintenance cost is your major concern, then consider coils and 19", the tires cost are much cheaper (less than half) than the 21s.

Air would give you a more comfortable ride than the coils but cost around HK$16K each for future replacement. IMO, running cost on 21" is even higher than the Air for long term driving.

But people choosing P85D are usually high demanding, wouldn't mind paying $HK50K more on top of the $900K already, otherwise would have chosen a 60 or 85 instead. I think put it this way is more convincing to make yourself to opt both. :)

Btw, why do you think the next gen back seat is better than the old one? I still doubt the new one would be able to hold my thigh while sitting with my legs angled........ But I did opt the new seat finally and just hope the back seat would have a better thigh support.

Actually I don't know if the next gen seat would be more comfortable. But the old one is so bad on the back side that I believe the next gen seat would have improvement on that.

I think I might end up choosing air suspension. It will be a family car and I think it's better to have better suspension for better riding experience to passengers.

I had the same dilema. There's a spreadsheet in the P85D deliveries thread that shows what others are buying, mostly everyone is choosing Air, I switched mine out due to this.

I think I might end up getting the default 19" wheel with air suspension. Try not to make my budget over a million :tongue:

So here's the config:

Red Multi-coat, 19" wheel, P85D, Pano Roof, Black Next Gen Seat, Obeche Wood Gloss, Air-suspension, Upgraded Sound, White or Black Alcantara (not yet decided) and of course, tech pack

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, the 19" stock wheels are uninspired. I just swapped mine out with T-Sportline 19". Same size as stock T Sportline Pictures

T Sportline 19 TST Wheels For Sale Tesla Model S

This looks awesome. I might go for this option.