Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Wheel and Suspension Options - Seeking Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lola, What do you think of coil vs air suspension for non perf s85d? You have way more expertise than me. I am not racing or doing anything like that. I do plan to take the dual drive tesla up to ski areas with occasionally bad roads (usually in the parking lot :)). I have a non-perf s85 and got the air suspension on my original car, but I haven't felt it was that useful. My driveway has enough clearance to make it without the extended suspension. I'm worried about future maintenance on air suspension. Given that, would air recommend or coil on this second one?

This time, I really plan to keep it 10 years and not upgrade :)

"This time, I really plan to keep it 10 years and not upgrade
smile.gif
" yea, you and me both buddy but then I've tested my resolve and have proven that I fail miserably....

I do not have enough information on PD air/coil to make the call myself. My PD order is awaiting finalization on suspension related questions. I'll let you know if I learn anything I can share.

Subscribed. I've been wondering what spring / damper changes may have been done, to handle the power. I think you once said the damp rates of the "+" are higher than the "P", at least as supplied with air. Given the dual roles of handling all that power, and cozy touring, a cabin setting for shock valving would be great. Porsche did this with PASM, and, to them, 19's are aggressive. I'd leave the 21's to the rappers ;)

I've been told "I will not be disappointed" and "you will love the way the PD feels" and this is by a guy/team that really knows what they are doing!

For the record, the rear P air and P+ air dampers were almost identical while there was a significant difference in the front dampers. It will be interesting to see where the valving lands on the air and coil units. By design, the coils have a higher spring rate than the air (you do not need rate to hold the car up, just a little more air) so purpose built PD coil/damper units might be just the ticket for that M5 feel.