TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85D with Next-Gen Rear Seats and Rear-facing Seats

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by jweinstein, Jan 12, 2015.

1. jweinstein

jweinstein Member

I took delivery of my P85D today in Anchorage, Alaska. I am loving the car, but I cannot figure out how to set up my rear – facing seats. I produced this short video:

https://vimeo.com/116628962

I'm open to any suggestions; however, I think there was a blunder during assembly.

– Josh

2. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Oops, yep - they left out the hooks for the jump seats to latch on to. Hopefully an easy enough modification for your local service center to... uh-oh.

3. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

I'll check this out on mine today. I dropped mine off to get xpel put on the day after pickup. The summer tires are in the rear now for opticoating. I'll report back tonight.

4. invisik

invisik Member

It'll be interesting to see how they fix this one.....

-m

5. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

Seems like the only way is to replace the half of the back seat missing the latch. I'd guess the latch is built into the structure of the seat in such a way that just adding it to the existing seat wouldn't be possible.

Edit: for reference, here is my latch with the old seats: http://i.imgur.com/RlyoxLz.jpg

6. jweinstein

jweinstein Member

I am working with the Seattle Service Center on this issue. I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

7. Vip

Vip Member

Big mistake! Plus not going to be easy with you living in Alaska. Will have to ship a new seat and then send someone up there to replace it.

8. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

QA has some 'splaining to do....

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Yeah, that's a pretty big (and obvious) oopsie. Pretty clear no one tested to make sure those rear seats worked. They're in panic mode over all these seating issues and missing things.

10. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I recall back when the rear facing seats could be retrofitted the latches were in there, the seat back just needed a square hole to be cut in to expose them and a plastic bracket installed to finish off the hole. Hopefully the same holds true here.

11. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

IMG_1094.JPG IMG_1095.JPG

Yep. Mine has the hooks there. take a look. this is the next gen seats as well.

12. jweinstein

jweinstein Member

Thanks, Fezzik, for the pics. No word yet from the Seattle Service Center... Perhaps they'll send new rear seats my way with a heated steering wheel. ;)

13. jweinstein

jweinstein Member

Sorry for the delay on the follow-up...

Tesla is sending a ranger to cut into the seat where the hooks are hidden behind the middle headrest. They are indeed there, as I could feel them after that fact was brought to my attention. I was offered the opportunity to cut into the seat myself and install the plastic backing, but I declined and decided to let them do it when they were in town for a regular visit.

14. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

Smart to let them do it. If they make a mistake, its on them.