Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D With Square Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering switching the set of staggered wheels on my current P85D with square wheels so that I could rotate them all around and make them last longer. In this case I would go from 2-265 (back) and 2-245 (front) to 4-245 tires. Anyone else has done this? I need a piece of advice. Thank you!

I un-staggered my P85D(+) as soon as I got it so I could rotate tires and more importantly, greatly expand the kinds of tires one can buy in the 245/35/21 size. I love the Hankook Ventus V12 performance tires. I also un-staggered my P85+ and sold it that way, too.

Staggered tires don't improve performance in any measurable amount in legal street driving. They increase contact patch area only by about 4%.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Factory configured P85D with square 21” wheels is definitely for real. It even says so in the manual.

688D1950-A6C1-4076-AA36-F54FA3B17F8F.jpeg

Factory configured P85D with square 21” wheels is definitely for real. It even says so in the manual.

View attachment 377992

That mentions tires, not rims. But yes, P85Ds have been delivered with a square setup, but only briefly.

"Normally offered as a "staggered" configuration, with a wider rear wheel / tire, during 2015, Tesla briefly offered a "square" configuration, with all 4 wheels utilizing the 21x8.5" wheel before returning to the original staggered offering."
Wheel and Tire Guide for Tesla Vehicles - Unplugged Performance

That mentions tires, not rims. But yes, P85Ds have been delivered with a square setup, but only briefly.

One assumes the other. You can't put 245s on a 9" rim, and you can't put 265 on an 8.5" rim. I mean you might be able to physically mount them, but both configurations are outside of the specs of the tires.

"Normally offered as a "staggered" configuration, with a wider rear wheel / tire, during 2015, Tesla briefly offered a "square" configuration, with all 4 wheels utilizing the 21x8.5" wheel before returning to the original staggered offering."
Wheel and Tire Guide for Tesla Vehicles - Unplugged Performance

I assert that the blurb on that website is somewhere between inaccurate and just wrong. Except during the P85D+ era (where most, but not all, units were delivered with 21" staggered wheels)... throughout the P85D production it was basically a crap-shoot what wheels people would get, 19", 21" square, or 21" staggered. It was nowhere close to "briefly".

Last edited:
Out of 1,310 P85Ds sold as used/CPO, 405 were delivered with 19" rims, starting at VIN P62604 through 126175, so roughly 25%.

21" rims (staggered or square) 905 units were delivered from VIN P54653 through 131552.

So as you can see, both size rims were delivered through the entire P85D production.

As a side note, the data shows 20 P85D(+) units sold with 19" rims. Now that's a head scratcher.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud

I just revisited the unplugged website. The quote above is not specific to the P85D, it's a claim they're making for ALL 21" Turbine rims. To that I can say it's flat out wrong. The 'default' configuration for Turbines for the vast majority of all Model Ss sold were a square setup. The 21" staggered Turbine rims are the exception -- offered on the P85+, some P85Ds, and I think they re-appeared on some P100Ds. But there are many tens of thousands of regular non-P cars sold with 21" square turbine setup. Whoever wrong that page really did not get it right at all. It's actually just the opposite.

The arachnids are definitely the nicest. It would be awesome if Tesla can provide arachnids with square configuration.

I thought the same before (went with 19" wheels initially and then 21" square so I could rotate the tires), but the arachnids have actually worn almost perfectly even after 6 months, 5000 miles. Though I'm not sure if there are other benefits to rotating tires other than the wear?

Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 6.06.23 PM.png

Though I'm not sure if there are other benefits to rotating tires other than the wear?

One of the biggest benefits of the square setup is a much larger selection of 245/35/21 tires to choose from.

The tire options for 245+265 staggered are very limited (and more expensive).

I also wouldn't expect the staggered tires to wear any differently than square, just because they're staggered. The difference is only 3/4" in tire width and a 4% increase in contact patch. Things like tire pressure, road conditions, and driving style are much larger factors that influence tire wear.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
My 75d came with staggered 21's. I wanted to swap them for different wheels but tesla declined. The car was an inventory model with a substantial discount. I probably have another summer season left in the tires, but I wouldn't mind having 4 wheels that I can rotate with a better tire selection. To unstagger them, are you just buying a pair of the 8.5 rims ? Any sources for these other then Tesla?