Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D with wrong seats, but had to figure it out for myself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never said it was effective as of time of delivery, I said it is used to verify and prove the car as-delivered is the car you ordered. The first page is where all your configuration information resides, and what you'd use to prove Tesla tried to provide a vehicle other than what you ordered.

Right and his MVPA, based on what's been said in this thread already, says he ordered NextGen seats. Tesla told him at delivery he had NextGen seats, but it turns out he doesn't have them. Which seems to me to be a pretty clear breach of contract. You can argue that he should have realized this at delivery (especially since he had a P85 and should be familiar with the existing seats). But I don't think him accepting delivery gets Tesla off the hook entirely.

He is of course free to accept something different or accept the seats being delivered later. But he clearly doesn't want to accept that.

Personally, I think he's being a tad unreasonable, but I also think he's well within his rights to be unreasonable. He probably won't get any more (possibly even less) by going to a lawyer/courts than he would by talking to Tesla. A court is probably going to be willing to let Tesla simply put the right seats in, since that seems like the most expedient remedy.

It sounds like they changed the ordering process, though. My MVPA is signed and dated by both parties a little over 30 days prior to delivery, two full months after I placed and confirmed my order.

This is the same process I used for my first order back in August of last year, and based on your signature I believe it's the same process that would have been in place when you ordered. The first page says "Date order placed with electronically accepted terms" and then it gives the date I placed the order. On my first order I never signed a physical copy of this. I only signed paperwork to effect the title transfer and registration (including a document giving them power of attorney to do so).

There may be differences in the process between states though.

As a note, your MVPA link appears to be broken.

Works just fine here, what error are you getting?

This is the same process I used for my first order back in August of last year, and based on your signature I believe it's the same process that would have been in place when you ordered. The first page says "Date order placed with electronically accepted terms" and then it gives the date I placed the order. On my first order I never signed a physical copy of this. I only signed paperwork to effect the title transfer and registration (including a document giving them power of attorney to do so).

There may be differences in the process between states though.

Works just fine here, what error are you getting?

Maybe, or they'd just changed the process. I ordered on 9/2. I first received the MVPA on 11/4/13. I signed on 11/5 and passed it along for financing, and Tesla signed 11/6. My delivery was 11/23. Presumably the effective date was 11/6 (it doesn't state otherwise). Prior to that, it's not like you can be held to a contract neither party signed.

As I mentioned, though, I agree with you. This should have been clearly noted at his delivery. His acceptance of the delivery clearly complicates matters, though. Blame all around.

Link seems to be working, now. For awhile there it wasn't indicating that %20 for that space in the URL, but it seems to have resolved itself. Forum hiccup, perhaps.

FYI, Tesla has what I would imagine is a current MVPA (US) here.

Thanks for the link but it appears to be out of date. That MVPA has the following at the bottom "v. 20131004 en_US". Mine has "v. 20140911 en_US". No idea what version applies to this specific order. I haven't bothered to look for specific differences. On curious thing is the link you provided has a 2015 copyright but mine has a 2014 copyright. So who knows.

What I will find interesting is how Tesla recognizes the revenue from the seats that weren't delivered in the financials for the just ended fiscal quarter. For the cars, like mine, that were delivered without the next gen seats, the $3500 in revenue shouldn't be recognized until the seats are actually installed or there should be reserves for the future cost of installing the seats. This is obviously a separate issue from whether Tesla had a right to obtain payment for the seats in the first place...

It's one thing to play fast and loose with customers; it's another thing to do it with investors and the SEC.

[And no, for those wondering, I did not receive anything from Tesla in response to my request for a refund of the amount I paid for the seats pending their delivery. At this point I realize that I'm just going to have to wait. A small victory for Tesla, I suppose, but it certainly leaves a very bad taste in my mouth about future dealings with this company]

What I will find interesting is how Tesla recognizes the revenue from the seats that weren't delivered in the financials for the just ended fiscal quarter. For the cars, like mine, that were delivered without the next gen seats, the $3500 in revenue shouldn't be recognized until the seats are actually installed or there should be reserves for the future cost of installing the seats. This is obviously a separate issue from whether Tesla had a right to obtain payment for the seats in the first place...

It's one thing to play fast and loose with customers; it's another thing to do it with investors and the SEC.

How do you know they're recognizing the revenue?

Definitely Tesla has some fans here and that's good :) I feel the same way as Eclectic ..."very bad taste in my mouth by dealing with Tesla" . I don't really blame them for my losses, I accepted them, but the more I deal with this company the worse things get. Tesla was my first brand new car believe it or not and the experience with owning one ( not driving one ) is definitely not what I have expected.
I do realize that by opening legal action the risk of even wasting more money is not small at all, but someone has to do it someday and hopefully this company will get their act together and stop doing what they've been doing.
I'm simply very negatively surprised how they act and as of this moment I just can't let it go :) even though I'm swamped with my business affairs and this is the last thing I currently need, but I can't let them play me like that.