Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D with wrong seats, but had to figure it out for myself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

And out of line. People make mistakes you know. That you've assumed it was done on purpose to 'cook the books' says more about you than the person who made the mistake. A number of customers have been given the option to keep the seats their cars were delivered with and be refunded the difference, or to wait for the new seats to arrive from the supplier and then have them installed (some time in 15Q1). A simple (and polite) phone call to the DS to let him/her know that in fact you don't have the new seats in your vehicle and that you'd like a refund of the difference in cost is all that is necessary. Not all the rest.

From what I've understood there are actually 3 versions of seats:

1) The original set up (be it performance or the base)
2) An upgraded setup, larger head rests in the back and some refinements to the fronts. I think they are called Futuris?
3) The next gen with all the bolstering we see in the front and back.

So for some people I suspect there is some miscommunication going on due to nomenclature eg. They may in fact be getting upgraded seats (number 2 from above) but not the final next gen seats at delivery.

Just a thought... I for one am not sure what I'm getting! Car is supposed to arrive tomorrow though...

And out of line. People make mistakes you know. That you've assumed it was done on purpose to 'cook the books' says more about you than the person who made the mistake. A number of customers have been given the option to keep the seats their cars were delivered with and be refunded the difference, or to wait for the new seats to arrive from the supplier and then have them installed (some time in 15Q1). A simple (and polite) phone call to the DS to let him/her know that in fact you don't have the new seats in your vehicle and that you'd like a refund of the difference in cost is all that is necessary. Not all the rest.

And I disagree. When I got the email to come pick up the car, I was told it was completed, inspected and ready. There was no "hey, we don't have the seats you ordered and paid for, so if you want to wait for the car until the seats come in we'll hold it for you and you don't have to pay until it's actually ready". Instead, I was told to come in to pick up the completed car and was even told that the seats were the ones I had ordered. That wasn't a mistake. It's happening to everyone, apparently. The factory knew that they didn't have all the components needed to deliver a complete car, yet they did it anyway, to a lot of people.

I'm not blaming the DS, by the way. I'm blaming Tesla, the corporation, for playing these games to get final 2014 sales numbers artificially high. They got full payment for the car before 12/31/14 and count it as a delivery. It's not right. And it is being done intentionally.

I would have been more than happy to wait a few weeks or more for the complete car. It's bad business to knowingly fail to deliver the product as ordered.

As much as everyone is whinging about this,

I picked up my P85D today, it has the Tan Next Gen in front and new nappa in rear.

I'm happy to have my P85D delivered today, (kinda incomplete), compared to waiting another day.

I understand why people would be complaining. However, to me, I actually wouldn't mind much if I have the old seats for now. I see it as a free seat and a delay in the wear/tear of the my seats. I will use this opportunity to try as many cloths/belt I have to see which one will stain my seat (I got the tan) that I will eventually get in the future.

And I disagree. When I got the email to come pick up the car, I was told it was completed, inspected and ready. There was no "hey, we don't have the seats you ordered and paid for, so if you want to wait for the car until the seats come in we'll hold it for you and you don't have to pay until it's actually ready". Instead, I was told to come in to pick up the completed car and was even told that the seats were the ones I had ordered. That wasn't a mistake. It's happening to everyone, apparently. The factory knew that they didn't have all the components needed to deliver a complete car, yet they did it anyway, to a lot of people.

I'm not blaming the DS, by the way. I'm blaming Tesla, the corporation, for playing these games to get final 2014 sales numbers artificially high. They got full payment for the car before 12/31/14 and count it as a delivery. It's not right. And it is being done intentionally.

I would have been more than happy to wait a few weeks or more for the complete car. It's bad business to knowingly fail to deliver the product as ordered.

To clarify, it's not "happening to everyone". I was contacted by my DS well in advance of my actual delivery wherein she informed me that my car would be initially delivered without the Next Generation Seats and would have the Nappa seats instead. She then clearly stated that I had the option to keep the Nappa seats and take a credit for the difference in price or I could elect to have the Next Generation seats installed at a later date when they became available.

Last edited:
To clarify, it's not "happening to everyone". I was contacted by my DS well in advance of my actual delivery wherein she informed me that my car would be initially delivered without the Next Generation Seats and would have the Nappa seats instead. She then clearly stated that I had the option to keep the Nappa seats and take a credit for the difference in price or I could elect to have the Next Generation seats installed at a later date when they became available.

Then it happened to you too, though they had the courtesy to give you a warning before you picked up the car. What I haven't heard is that people were given the option of not accepting the car until it was completed as ordered. I do have a problem with not having what I paid for, even if I will get it later. They got the money for the next gen seats, they should have either delivered them when the car was delivered or waited for payment until the car was complete. I would have been more than happy to have waited and held on to my money.

You had the option to refuse delivery (and held on to your money) and reorder later.

Did I? When I was told that the car was complete and only found out after I had accepted delivery that the car wasn't complete? The DS didn't give me that option when I wrote to complain. All I got was an option to keep the seats and get a credit or wait for the right ones.

I do not understand why this has happened, but I do think it is pretty bad for Tesla to tell me that the car is complete, and specifically that it will be delivered with the next gen seats, and then the paperwork is finalized with nothing on the due bill, and it's not until I get home that I realize that it was delivered with the wrong seats. Now I understand that I probably should have noticed this once I actually got the car (after the paperwork was signed), but still... is there really a good excuse for Tesla not telling me this before I show up, and especially before I pay for the car, and then giving me the option of waiting? Or -- at least tell me what happened before I signed the paperwork while at the factory? And while not happening to everyone, it does seem that this mistake is happening to more than just me.

If I had been given the option of waiting I would have taken that option. But once I had already paid for the car, picked it up, taken it home, and sold my old car (a 2012 Tesla S85), it was a little late to take the P85D back.

Did I? When I was told that the car was complete and only found out after I had accepted delivery that the car wasn't complete? The DS didn't give me that option when I wrote to complain. All I got was an option to keep the seats and get a credit or wait for the right ones.

You still do have the option to return the car. Tesla has a "happiness guarantee." If you are unhappy with the car, give it back.

From The House Always Wins | Blog | Tesla Motors
For example, if you buy or lease our car and don’t like it (within a reasonable amount of time), you can automatically give it back, accounting only for usage and damage. Tesla will absorb loss of the new car premium when reselling it as a used vehicle.

I haven't heard of anyone actually doing this yet, but it's an option. If you or anyone else pursues it, let us know how it works out.

- - - Updated - - -

If I had been given the option of waiting I would have taken that option. But once I had already paid for the car, picked it up, taken it home, and sold my old car (a 2012 Tesla S85), it was a little late to take the P85D back.

Same here. You still do have the option of waiting. Give the car back, order a new one. Or just wait for the seats to show up while enjoying the rest of the car as is.

I think the term Next-Gen is mixing people a lot. Next-Gen can mean the second generation seats of the original. Tesla really needs to rename the new Recaro made seats Sport Seats or Performance seats. Too many people are getting confused (even their own DS) in this case. Honestly, you'll get the seats and it'll be retro fitted. Not sure why you would've taken the option for waiting especially because the P85D goes like stink ;). Tesla should've told you like others on the forum-- I guess the experience is varying by DS/SC.

From what I've understood there are actually 3 versions of seats:

1) The original set up (be it performance or the base)
2) An upgraded setup, larger head rests in the back and some refinements to the fronts. I think they are called Futuris?
3) The next gen with all the bolstering we see in the front and back.

So for some people I suspect there is some miscommunication going on due to nomenclature eg. They may in fact be getting upgraded seats (number 2 from above) but not the final next gen seats at delivery.

Just a thought... I for one am not sure what I'm getting! Car is supposed to arrive tomorrow though...

I received Version 2 and had to get the DS to hand write on my Delivery paperwork that I was missing the Next Gen seats which will be installed when available ( told a couple of months).

I had to contact my DS after my Model S was in production for 24 days. I read here and than called. I am not happy about Tesla's lack of communication. I cancelled and reordered. Just my opinion but for the price of this vehicle I do nit want the seats swapped several times. Good luck to all! Happy new year

How is it out of line? It's no secret that Tesla does what ever they can and "rush" as many orders in before the end of the quarter and even the year. You don't think its a consideration by Tesla to try to figure out how to still deliver these thousands of cars even though they don't have all the parts that people paid for, rather than delay the deliveries and thus miss their EOY targets? The level of tolerance fan boys have for Tesla is appalling, blaming the seat supplier and saying its out of Tesla's control is non-sense. Tesla is the car-maker, whoever or wherever they source their parts from is their problem - not the consumers. Too many people are concerned with the "bad news" that they believe will affect the stock price, etc. This type of overlooking by fan-boys allows Tesla to keep making these mistakes because they don't feel the pinch. Had the new seats not been coupled with the "D", most specifically the P85D, I doubt we would see so much acceptance of taking delivery of the car with the old seats. Those ordering the P85D so quickly seem more concerned with the performance or AWD aspect so its easy to overlook just the seats missing - but that doesn't mean its acceptable practice by a company.

How is it out of line? It's no secret that Tesla does what ever they can and "rush" as many orders in before the end of the quarter and even the year. You don't think its a consideration by Tesla to try to figure out how to still deliver these thousands of cars even though they don't have all the parts that people paid for, rather than delay the deliveries and thus miss their EOY targets? The level of tolerance fan boys have for Tesla is appalling, blaming the seat supplier and saying its out of Tesla's control is non-sense. Tesla is the car-maker, whoever or wherever they source their parts from is their problem - not the consumers. Too many people are concerned with the "bad news" that they believe will affect the stock price, etc. This type of overlooking by fan-boys allows Tesla to keep making these mistakes because they don't feel the pinch. Had the new seats not been coupled with the "D", most specifically the P85D, I doubt we would see so much acceptance of taking delivery of the car with the old seats. Those ordering the P85D so quickly seem more concerned with the performance or AWD aspect so its easy to overlook just the seats missing - but that doesn't mean its acceptable practice by a company.

I couldn't have said it better. In the last 12 months I've spent a quarter million dollars on this company's products. At a minimum, I should get what I ordered. I shouldn't be told (by the fanboys) that I have to be happy with whatever they give me. The long term viability of this company depends on it being honest and delivering a great product that exceeds expectations.

Yes, the technology is incredible. Yes, the incomplete car is still amazing. But you know what? I'm going to think long and hard before I purchase another vehicle from this company for as long as I hear that they play these games. My satisfaction should come before hitting FY2014 numbers, and that's not what is happening. Plus, the car is simply not the car I paid for. It's misleading and they're sitting on my money while I have first been lied to then I get some vague promise that I'll get what I paid for "soon".

I'm looking to replace my F150 and if Ford were to deliver a new truck with steel, rather than aluminum, panels and then say "come back in a few months and we'll put the right panels on" I doubt anyone would be quiet about it, even if the truck drove fine without the new panels.

For those who want to put Tesla above their own interests, I suppose what they've delivered is enough. For me, it's a serious problem and a significant disappointment. I don't thank the deities that I have the privilege to buy a Tesla. They have to earn my business, and unless they intend to be a niche player forever, they will have to earn the business of mainstream car buyers.

That you ask that question and use the term 'fan boys' as you do means that it is not within my capabilities to explain it to you.

You made my point for me, its out of your capabilities to see Tesla do any wrong, so you have nothing you can say that will resonate with any non "fan-boy".

But I would still love to hear your explanation about why a supplier that Tesla engaged, went into contract with, marketed 'their' product as its own NextGen seats and took money from customers for, is still not Tesla's fault?

While Tesla may be a start-up to the automative world based on numbers, delivering 35,000 cars at an average of 100k each (my own guess) equates to $3.5 billion in sales and is not something they should take lightly. They need to take their S@*$@ more seriously and not fall-back on this "startup" and "constant evolution" argument when they mess up.

Just look at the range debacle - they marketed the 'D' cars as more efficient - NOT "more efficient at some un-known date after you took delivery and they feel its ready". I do like that our cars can get better over time - but it should NOT be a crutch they can use to market, sell and deliver an un-fininshed product because they have the technical ability to finish it at a later date.

golfski, eclectric,

I hear you. What we know is Tesla was all setup to deliver the cars with the new sports seats as planned but then found a last minute problem with them and had to pull all the seats. That's on them and no doubt some heads need to roll, but the question is what would you have them do then? Hold all the cars for weeks, months even more until they have enough of the fixed seats in inventory to put all the cars out with them and make everyone wait?

I think they made the only sane choice given the circumstances, which is make some people wait for the seats and make no one wait for the car.

If that was important to you then you had the option to reorder and wait. You _still_ have the option to do that. Give the car back, reorder, and wait.

There is no magical third option where someone takes a time machine back and catches the seat design error two months ago and avoids the disaster. Likewise, Tesla has got to be getting the fixed seats in as fast as they can from their supplier. Remember, this is the same company that air freighted tires from Europe in December 2012 when Continental screwed up Tesla's order.

If you have any productive solutions to offer or specifics on how Tesla could have done better here other than "never had made the design mistake to begin with" I'm all ears. If I'm reading your statements correctly - that you'd rather have had Tesla made you wait for your car until the revised seats were in - then what's stopping you from doing that now?

Again, I'm seriously interested in seeing what happens when someone takes Tesla up on their happiness guarantee. Why aren't you?

golfski, eclectric,

I hear you. What we know is Tesla was all setup to deliver the cars with the new sports seats as planned but then found a last minute problem with them and had to pull all the seats. That's on them and no doubt some heads need to roll, but the question is what would you have them do then? Hold all the cars for weeks, months even more until they have enough of the fixed seats in inventory to put all the cars out with them and make everyone wait?

I think they made the only sane choice given the circumstances, which is make some people wait for the seats and make no one wait for the car.

If that was important to you then you had the option to reorder and wait. You _still_ have the option to do that. Give the car back, reorder, and wait.

There is no magical third option where someone takes a time machine back and catches the seat design error two months ago and avoids the disaster. Likewise, Tesla has got to be getting the fixed seats in as fast as they can from their supplier. Remember, this is the same company that air freighted tires from Europe in December 2012 when Continental screwed up Tesla's order.

If you have any productive solutions to offer or specifics on how Tesla could have done better here other than "never had made the design mistake to begin with" I'm all ears. If I'm reading your statements correctly - that you'd rather have had Tesla made you wait for your car until the revised seats were in - then what's stopping you from doing that now?

Again, I'm seriously interested in seeing what happens when someone takes Tesla up on their happiness guarantee. Why aren't you?

There was a third option. They could have told us BEFORE we went to pick up the car that it wasn't the car we ordered and if we wanted it with the wrong seats, we could take it and they'd make us whole later. Then, we could have made a decision before we got rid of our old P85, before we signed paperwork, before we got the funds wired to Tesla...and you know what? We would have said "keep the car until it's complete, we're more than happy to keep driving our old P85."

This is the problem. The happiness guarantee is pretty worthless after you've already sold the old car, paid for the new one and accepted delivery of it. They should have been honest about what they were going to deliver. Like you said, there is no time machine and a happiness guarantee isn't going to put us in the position we should have been in had Tesla been forthright about what they were doing.

*Edit:
I looked up the terms of the happiness guarantee and it seems to only apply to leases. I didn't lease. And the terms of the guarantee are somewhat opaque. It says that the remaining lease obligations are waived...it doesn't say that you are refunded all of the payments you made. So you could easily be out of pocket quite a bit of money for origination expenses, down payments, etc. I'm not sure how this all works, but since I didn't lease, it clearly isn't an option in any event.

Last edited: